It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Germany to repatriate gold from US, France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Report: Germany to repatriate gold from US, France

bigstory.ap.org

BERLIN (AP) — A German newspaper reports the country's central bank will repatriate parts of its massive gold reserves worth about $200 billion at current market rates from storage sites in the United States and in France.

Daily Handelsblatt reported Tuesday the Bundesbank plans to bring back to Germany some of its 1,500 tons of gold stored with the Federal Reserve in New York, and all of the 450 tons currently with the Bank of France in Paris.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The central bank declined to comment on the report but invited reporters to a press briefing where it will present a new plan to manage the gold reserves totaling about 3,400 tons Wednesday.

Most of Germany's reserves have been stored abroad since the Cold War over fears of a Soviet invasion.

Last Fall there were some reports that Germany wanted to get its gold back that the Federal Reserve is holding. Now it seems that they're serious about it; apparently they will release plans tomorrow sometime to show how they'll handle the gold.

I'm curious as to why Germany would do this. There are plenty of US troops still stationed here. Germany is also (seemingly) to be the government that is pushing most for a more united EU. Could this be a signal that "TPTB" are trying to now make a move to bring the US to its knees in order to get the US populous "in the mood" for a more globalized, Superstate sort of government?

I don't know.

It could be nothing though really. I just think it's interesting that Germany is requestion this gold back now, given that the Cold War was over some years ago; and the Cold War was the reason why Germany had it's gold overseas to start with.

bigstory.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Maybe this will bring pressure on the not so federal reserve to give full disclosure to the citizens as to the true amount of our gold.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I hope they check them twice for Tungsten.
I hear it's pretty steely these days.

Seriously... It's a sign the U.S. is losing it's place as world anything when major industrial nations are indicating they'd feel better if their gold were in their own Capital's and vaults. Errr.... It was always trusted here on the belief nothing would likely ever happen here to put physical storage like that at risk. They seem to be looking at a future we're not likely to enjoy much of, I'm thinking.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Maybe I need to study up on it a bit, but I can't understand why Germany would want to storehouse their gold in other countries to begin with. I would not store my jewelry box and my "egg money" over at my out of state cousin's house. They feared Soviet invasion during the Cold War- I get that, but the Cold War has been over for many years. I don't get why they waited so long to start bringing it home.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
this is gonna be a BIG deal. The FED is going to come up with excuses cause the gold is either gone by now or it has lead cores.

Either way Germany made a mistake keeping Gold in US w/ all the corrupt crook politicians here

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A minor, but significant aspect of this is:

...the country's central bank will repatriate parts of its massive gold reserves...

This isn't about "Germany" as much as it is about the Central bank cartel.

The point of 'expatriating' gold to another country in the first place seems oddly "off." Was it collateral? Was it "a bet?" Was it "unsafe" in the coffers within Germany?

My first question is why was it there in the first place?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Was it "unsafe" in the coffers within Germany?

Per the article it was stored in the US and France due to the Cold War. I would assume that the Germans were afraid back then that it could be a reason for the former DDR (along with other Eastern Bloc countries) to invade, as Germany would be looted of its gold and then be left with nothing.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I get that, but the Cold War has been over for many years. I don't get why they waited so long to start bringing it home.

That rang a little odd to me as well. Perhaps it was cost prohibitive? (Which would actually be sort of weird too because the German economy has been fairly good since the "Wirtschaftswunder".)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I could have accepted that reasoning... but I am doubtful because
1) War is NEVER undertaken without bank involvement,
2) During the Cold-War - facing nuclear threat - no one was invading anything, and
3) It is customary to move assets to a neutral country.... the US hasn't been war "neutral" since 1913.

But, allowing for the legitimacy of the claim, the issue now becomes how to move tons of gold... safely.

If the US was only "holding" it... it was never a part of "our" economy. So all in all... this should be a "nothing" event - relevant only if the gold has a purpose aside from sitting in a vault.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
Maybe this will bring pressure on the not so federal reserve to give full disclosure to the citizens as to the true amount of our gold.

What gold?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

answers here

Last week, Gauweiler celebrated his greatest triumph to date in his gold campaign, which has been a source of some amusement for many fellow German politicians: A secret report by the Federal Audit Office had been made public -- and it contained stern criticism of the German central bank in Frankfurt. The Bonn-based auditors urged a better inventory system, including quality checks.

For decades, German central bankers have contented themselves with written affirmations from their American colleagues that the gold still remains where it is said to be stored. According to the report, the bar list from New York stems from "1979/1980." The report also noted that the Federal Reserve Bank of New York refuses to allow the gold's owners to view their own reserves.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Excellent! Thank you.

I am nevertheless still a bit tweaked that the Media continues to report this as a "nation to nation" issue - rather than as a statement about the nature of the global central banking cartel.

Considering the entire global monetary system (pardon the generalization) is based on debt, rather than assets; it seems we would put the puzzle pieces together and realize that the 'holdings' of precious metals are of consequence only to the bank's board members and majority holders.... none of which are governments or nations.

We can never return to an asset-based system (say gold-based for example) because the banking cartel has in fact claimed ownership of it ALL by using fractional reserve lending as a means to "pay themselves" for the privilege of "using" our (national) wealth... as if it had come from them in the first place.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

www.tfmetalsreport.com...
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 11:54 am

I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
Either this is all on the up-and-up or it isn't. Either this is a purely political show or it isn't. Either the gold is really there to be repatriated or it isn't. It's up to you to decide.

Just three months ago, The Bundesbank labeled as "lunacy" the idea that German gold needed to be brought home. They announce today that they're doing it anyway, Text Is this just a political trick to mollify the German hoi polloi? Probably. It certainly doesn't upset the status quo or shake the global banking system in the manner we'd all hoped.

However, you could also choose to look at it this way:

In preparation for The Great Reset, the Germans do desire to repatriate as much gold as possible but they also don't wish to bring about The Reset any quicker than necessary.
So, they bring home "their French gold" but only do so at the rate of 50 tonnnes/year. Why? If it's just sitting in a vault and collecting dust, why not ship it all home over the next few weeks? What's the big deal?
And why leave "their English gold" untouched? Is it because all gold stored at the BoE can be leased, hypothecated and rehypothecated many times over, thereby making reclaiming it impossible?
And why bring back just 300 tonnes of "their American gold", again over the next 8 years? It shouldn't be that big of a deal to pull up a few pallets of "barbarous relic" from below the streets of lower Manhattan, drive it over to JFK and load it onto an airplane bound for Frankfurt. Should it?

Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe, their French gold is long gone and the Frenchy-French need some time to come up with new supply to pay them back? ( www.reuters.com...) Maybe the English gold has all been shipped to China and other points East, where it has been resmelted into kilo bars with official Chinese insignia? ( www.tfmetalsreport.com...) And maybe, just maybe, the American gold is nothing but paper certificates and IOUs, no more valuable than claims on the GLD? ( kingworldnews.com...)

So is the Gold still there, if it is it pure gold and not tungsten filled fake, has it been "pledged", is it in allocated or unallocated bars....the list goes on. Is this for show only... Note that the talk is of repatriation in small amounts...We wouldn't want to trigger the the reset button if all the chess pieces aren't ready yet

top topics

join