It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dad charged with making terroristic threats after testing school’s safety system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
ca.news.yahoo.com...

A North Texas father’s attempt to test the safety response of his child’s school had an unintended consequence—for the father. After walking into the school saying he was a gunman, the unarmed Ron Miller has been charged with making "terroristic threats" at Celina Elementary School.

According to Celina school district superintendent Donny O'Dell, Miller approached a greeter at the school and told her: “I am a gunman. My target is inside of the building. I'm going in the building. You stop me." Added O’Dell to local news station WFAA: “They recognized, at that point, that he did not have a weapon and they were able to go ahead and tell him to leave."

The school’s principal chose not to call 911, instead dialing a nonemergency number, because the 44-year-old Miller, a paramedic, was immediately recognized as a parent and school volunteer.

After Miller left, there was no lockdown and no threat to kids’ safety, according to O’Dell, who also admitted that they did find some problems with their safety response. For one, the greeter had no radio to contact the police.

Said O’Dell, “We found some glitches … some things we need to work on. Of course, none of this ever takes place when you expect it to, so human response to certain situations is not always perfect because we're not perfect."

He was charged and fined but ...is he right?
edit on 14-1-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

That was just stupid.. and damn, they upgraded terroristic threat charge to felony, used to be a misdemeanor in Texas.
75k bail and a felony... If he had a decent job, he doesnt anymore.
edit on 1/14/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Well if people are so 'paranoid' and afraid of guns...shouldn't they be more vigilant? What do they expect, that every other practice or mock/simulated massacre authorized by DHS or other has actually worked to prevent it from occuring?

He found yet another flaw in the system, this one being that the school 1. didn't think it could happen to them and 2. waiting on police to react better than they do or 3. hiding their heads in the sand wasn't the brightest plan.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

Our school had lock down for a long time many years.
There has been Cops in the Halls for a very long time.
Your Dad is lucky he didnt pull that crap in a School in our town.
A horn would blow & the fire doors would have closed every where,it helps to have Cops Kids in the School.
Your Dad could have Been hurt really Bad..
Not to Smart Dad....

edit on 14-1-2013 by madenusa because: long day at work

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by madenusa

He isn't my dad lol. I don't even know the guy nor has my dad even been to Texas lol.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dianashay

He isn't my dad lol. I don't even know the guy nor has my dad even been to Texas lol.

long day at work,Sorry

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

My daddy left me when I was young, he has never even walked me to school let alone be man enough to pull a stunt like this (on my behalf).

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
He had the right idea, but wrong Approach. He should have met with school officials , expressed his concern, and set up a plan with them to test their response. He should never have just tried this on his own......it is not a bad idea for schools to have a program where they test their responses and emergency situation, and I'm not talking about a drill. I'm talking about someone actually trying to infiltrate the school.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Indeed, the guy was a plank. I would support such a parent being prosecuted had they done that at my kids school.

Also, what the hell does "terroristic" mean? It isn't even a word. The correct grammar would be "Dad charged with making terrorist threats.....Sorry, I try not to do the whole grammar police thing, but sometimes it hurts my eyes seeing words like that.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
He should have spoken with the Principal first to avoid being charged. One person in charge knowing the plan would have fixed this issue easily.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Meldionne1

Indeed, the guy was a plank. I would support such a parent being prosecuted had they done that at my kids school.

Also, what the hell does "terroristic" mean? It isn't even a word. The correct grammar would be "Dad charged with making terrorist threats.....Sorry, I try not to do the whole grammar police thing, but sometimes it hurts my eyes seeing words like that.

No, the criminal act is actually "Terroristic Threat" and could mean anything from, Im gonna kick your a** to Im gonna kill you.
Like I said, it used to be a misdemeanor, now this guys gonna be a felon. How could he even think this was ok..
Moron.

edit on 1/15/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

top topics

join