It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious to hear points of view on Home Invasions from Anti-Gun population.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I am a professional 6 years in the Cav as an expert marksman.A life time of gun handling.
My skills are up to handling guard duty.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

is it worth a family members life to risk that the police can make it in time?

Your family members are much more at risk from having a gun than from someone breaking in and attacking them- unless you live in an inner-city ghetto.

If someone tries to break in here I will call 911, then if they're not big I will beat them, if they are then I will shoot them (but I am definitely for gun control).

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've got two medium sized dogs that are very protective and I'm also a black belt in Karate. However that won't help if the break in kill the dogs and start shooting up the house. I can't chop bullets out of the air. I'm not anti gun but do believe in tighting up our existing laws and banning some "assault style" weapons and large clips/magazines. I enjoy shooting hand guns and I'm not opposed to getting some in the future. That's where I stand. You can be for tighter gun controls without being anti gun. That's an intelligent, moderate world view.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Home invasion are a daily thing here in Central Florida, you hear sad cases of rape and killings and you also have armed citizens that killed or wounded the bad guy because they own a gun. Home invasions are very fast , they just break your bedroom window and are inside your home in less than 1 min, no time for you to even wake up and know whats going up, calling the police is almost impossible at least for some of the victims here in FL.

I sleep with a 9mm, I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old daughters and protecting my family is the most important thing on my mind everytime we go out or at home. Things are very bad..............

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Your family members are much more at risk from having a gun than from someone breaking in and attacking them-unless you live in an inner-city ghetto.
reply to post by CB328

Really??? And what proof do you offer to back that up with?

If someone tries to break in here I will call 911, then if they're not big I will beat them, if they are then I will shoot them (but I am definitely for gun control).

So your saying if they are too big to fight then you will shoot them but you want to give up ypur right to have a gun??? Makes perfect sense

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I had a very anti-gun girlfriend who was unaware of what an evil, sinister gun nut I am. One day I disassembled a pistol in a box and then introduced her to the pistol one piece at a time. I also showed her the parts of a disassembled round. She was curious about the individual pieces and as I explained what they all did she would pick up the next. We put the gun together over the course of an hour and she looked at me and asked.
"Do you want to shoot it?"
I said no.
She asked me about it later so I took her to shoot.
She had a ball.

She still talks the party line around her left wing friends and her new husband (not me) who is also anti gun.
When she's in my neighborhood and I have time she goes shooting with me.
She still says she's anti-gun but I think she's conflicted.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I had a very anti-gun girlfriend who was unaware of what an evil, sinister gun nut I am. One day I disassembled a pistol in a box and then introduced her to the pistol one piece at a time. I also showed her the parts of a disassembled round. She was curious about the individual pieces and as I explained what they all did she would pick up the next. We put the gun together over the course of an hour and she looked at me and asked.
"Do you want to shoot it?"
I said no.
She asked me about it later so I took her to shoot.
She had a ball.

She still talks the party line around her left wing friends and her new husband (not me) who is also anti gun.
When she's in my neighborhood and I have time she goes shooting with me.
She still says she's anti-gun but I think she's conflicted.

That's awesome.
My husband & I enjoy many firearm sports with each other. It's one of our favorite "dates"...lol. Go to the range & talk some smack to each other, flirt, pick on each other, then go out to eat & have a couple beers, come home to our 7, 5 & 1 year old babies. We've been very happily married for over 10 years

I'm a country girl who grew up with guns in the home and it was just never a big deal back then. My Pappaw gave me an old .22 pistol when I got a car at 16 and told me to keep it under my seat (next to the chunk of sassafras root he also gave me to "keep odor out of the cab"...lol) and to never touch it unless I needed to use it, and the only reason I should ever use it was to shoot someone dead. What he meant was, guns are not toys and the only reason you should ever pick one up is because the only choice you feel like you have to save your own life is to take someone else's.
I was in high school in the early 90's in an area that was near rampant gang activity. Shootings and carjackings were almost an everyday thing. Thankfully, the only time I ever had to touch that gun, other than when he would take me out to the pea patch to practice shooting it, was after I started college and got a new car.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

is it worth a family members life to risk that the police can make it in time?

Your family members are much more at risk from having a gun than from someone breaking in and attacking them- unless you live in an inner-city ghetto.

Woman shoots alleged home invader in Walton County
Jan 4,2013
www.myfoxtampabay.com...
"The woman said that the man went to his vehicle and returned with a crowbar. The man then forced his way inside and rummaged through the home.

The woman grabbed a revolver fled into a crawlspace with her children.

When the man opened the crawlspace door, she fired six shots with her .38 revolver, hitting the man several times.

Sometimes a gun in the hand is better than a 911 operator on the phone.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti stupid gun owners who don't have a gun safe

if you have a gun in the house, it's more likely going to be used by the owner against someone they know or against them than an invasion

most gun owners just want to fantasize about blowing someone away, it boils down to misplaced anger

boss is neutering you, wife emasculates you, don't worry, you have a bushmaster to take out the jihadist robber coming for your TV

sad really

This is just silly over the top, way over, generalizations. In fact it so far over it is in high orbit. 80 Million gun owners are not fantasizing about blowing someone away. This comment says more about your state of mind than anyone elses.

P

you're right. I forgot paranoia and fear

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755

Originally posted by Byrd

My plan is "get out of their way, and let trained professionals handle it."

My plan is to protect my family, not rely on who you describe as trained professionals to do it.

While they are finishing up their donuts and coffee ten minutes away I will be making sure I stop the bad guy dead in his tracks. It's not that difficult to learn how to shoot a gun.

I guess it comes down to whether a person feels that the establishment will be there to help them any time when needed. I just do not have the faith in the system as others do..I guess, and when it comes down to whether my family is protected or not, I'm not going to gamble.

Byrd,

You basically have no problem with rolling the dice putting everything on the system to keep you safe. I have some neighbors just like you and they shyly said that if the SHTF they would come over to my house...

Well the fact that I had more training and experience than the cop professionals might be a factor as to why I feel comfortable defending my family if need be.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns
Home invasion are a daily thing here in Central Florida, you hear sad cases of rape and killings and you also have armed citizens that killed or wounded the bad guy because they own a gun. Home invasions are very fast , they just break your bedroom window and are inside your home in less than 1 min, no time for you to even wake up and know whats going up, calling the police is almost impossible at least for some of the victims here in FL.

I sleep with a 9mm, I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old daughters and protecting my family is the most important thing on my mind everytime we go out or at home. Things are very bad..............

I'm sure you all heard of the nut in Portland that went to a mall and shot one person and himself...well on Christmas day a girl had a home invasion in Portland too, she was raped and killed and I would bet money none of you head that story unless you lived here.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
I've got two medium sized dogs that are very protective and I'm also a black belt in Karate. However that won't help if the break in kill the dogs and start shooting up the house. I can't chop bullets out of the air. I'm not anti gun but do believe in tighting up our existing laws and banning some "assault style" weapons and large clips/magazines. I enjoy shooting hand guns and I'm not opposed to getting some in the future. That's where I stand. You can be for tighter gun controls without being anti gun. That's an intelligent, moderate world view.

Do you realize that rifles only account for less than 500 deaths out of the 16,000 murders each year? Hell 2000 deaths are by hand, Mr. karate guy... So since by hand is 5 times more deaths than by rifle I think we should outlaw all martial arts first....

What say you?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Forget about the anti gun poplulation, who cares what they think.

If they get their way, this is what we will be faced with.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

While I appreciate your wish for a society that doesn't require you to harm someone for the sake of your own safety, I have some simple conflict with this.

Humanity has, and presumably always will have, members that will do harm to others for their own gain. History has given us no reason to believe that this will ever change. I can't imagine the trauma you experienced in your situation... I would point out however, that banning a weapon or substance does not ever, in any case in history, remove it from the hands of those who desire it. As long as it is produced or manufactured, someone who isn't intended to have it, will still have it. This is fact historically and presently.

Drugs are illegal, yet anyone who wants them can get them with relative ease. Now, the only people who have drugs are, by definition, criminals. So you have violence that is associated with drugs, just as you had massive mobster violence during Prohibition. When is the last time you knew of someone killing someone else intentionally over a transaction of alcohol? When you make something illegal, the criminal enterprise will profit and violence will occur because of it. Do people die of DUI's? Sure, but the widespread crime and violence of Prohibition overshadows these numbers many times - enough so that Prohibition was recalled.

I have a handgun safe bolted between my headboard and mattress with fingerprint security. Our house was built with safety in mind such that my kids bedrooms are near our bedroom, separate from the rest of the house with a hallway and a door. If my alarm goes off at night, I have a clear shot at the intruder, as well as the high ground.

There were a small number of home invasions in the suburban town next to mine and the police took nearly 10 minutes to respond from the time the call was dialed. By this time, the intruders (armed with baseball bats) had nearly beaten a 14 year old boy to death and began raping his mother. When sirens were heard, they made a successful run. They hit 4 houses and were never caught. Should we ban baseball bats, or equip law-abiding citizens with the means protect themselves and their children?

If guns were ever successfully banned and completely eliminated (which my prohibition example and many others show is impossible), criminals would use another choice of weapon. So I would be left fighting 4 men with bats in my living room with my own bat. Banning items doesn't work - it simply puts the items only in the hands of those who would misuse them for personal gain. As long as these people exist, the need to protect ourselves with deadly force will as well.

-Max

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I couldn't agree more. The fact is, the police were created to respond to crimes and conduct a lawful investigation. They are NOT a personal protection organization.

Furthermore, I agree on the issue of martial arts. If a 6'5, 250lb man broke into my house unarmed while I wasn't home, my wife wouldn't stand a chance. Disarming the criminals isn't going to happen anymore than the government was able to remove alcohol from the criminals during Prohibition. It would only remove them from people like my friends and family and the 1-5 crazies who take their parents' unsecured weapons on shooting sprees every few years.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zayonara

You can plan all you want, doesn't mean it will help you. Unless you are standing guard 24/7 armed at all entry points of your house, if someone wants badly enough to harm you or your family, they will find a way.

I choose not to live in paranoia and fear, that is my plan.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If I could stand on a mountain top and snap my fingers and have all the hate, cruelty, injustice, and meanness in the world vanish never to return along with all guns and violent weapons, I would do it.

But, that is not going to happen. As long as there are doped-up crazies, rapists, thugs, gangs, and power-hungry would-be dictators, there MUST be powerful means to protect one's family, property, self, and community against it.

In a home invasion (just ONE reason to own guns) where there are multiple intruders, a baseball bat or pepper spray isn't going to suffice. Best to be prepared.

Hell! What if an alien craft full of smarmy violent sex-crazed ETs attacked your community and wanted to take up residence in your home?!!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

It's in assumption that people with weapons live in parnoia and fear. I personally don't think myself or my family as a target either. I don't think anyone is out to get us. I always just assume that random attack is possible and it is also possible to try to defend. Before a road trip, you check tire pressures, check the fuel gauge, check traffic, wear a seatbelt, look both ways before you cross...etc. It's all the same thing to me. Not paranoia.

edit on 7-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zayonara

Then that may hold some insight into your error.Sure just waltz around with headphones on,nothing will happen It's all cool.
I hope you never go anywhere unsafe......but wait,You are SPACIFICALY who they want to harm,someone who has no attention span IS a target for these pukes.
But please,don't EVER take my word for it.
I'm a knuckle dragger,I'm not paranoid, I'm skilled. And People like YOU aren't capable so I have to be able to defend myself AND sweet little you when bad guys show up.
edit on 7-1-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The greatest form of self defense is the elimination of fear. I'm not much into guns. Grew up and learned how to shoot and hunt a bit. Just not a hunter, but I'm sure that I could if I was hungry.

When I was 16, I started learning Navy Seal fighting methods - offensive, not defensive. I also started Tai Chi and learned to balance my body in various positions.

I have a whitewater kayak paddle next to my bed. Fiberglass blades that can slice someone open, and a 1 1/2" carbon fiber one piece shaft. I sleep well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join