It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Approval for gene-modified salmon spawns controversy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Approval for gene-modified salmon spawns controversy

www.newscientist.com

Fast-growing salmon have cleared another hurdle in an upstream battle to be the first genetically modified animal approved for human consumption. After a long and possibly politically motivated delay, federal regulators have released preliminary documents declaring the fish safe to eat and environmentally harmless.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fda.gov
www.fda. gov

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The "public" has 60-days to comment about this.... after that the FDA stands poised to allow the introduction the first genetically modified animal into our food supply. The Massachusetts-based AquaBounty has been seeking approval for this since 1995.

Whether you think this is a good thing or not; it is a time for attention to be paid... because when the time comes to pay the piper... I suspect neither the 'manufacturer' nor the government will have accountability in the matter.

Rather than releasing the fish into the wild, the company plans to engineer its eggs in highly secure tanks in Canada, then ship them to Panama to mature. As a precaution, the fish are all female and contain three copies of each chromosome rather than two, rendering them sterile.

I recall hearing a similar 'approach' in a Hollywood movie... with the counter plot being "Life will find a way." But let's not be melodramatic... yet.

Our source mentions one potentially concerned organization: the Marine Fish Conservation Network. Apparently they have pinned their basic argument for caution on the worry that the transgenic salmon could out-compete wild salmon if they escape. I find it odd that they may be the only detractors noted - especially since the company has addressed this concern (in theory) robustly using terms like "undisclosed location in the highlands of Panama" and "highly secure tanks in Canada."

The Prince Edward island facility, the mechanism of transport of the eggs to Panama... and evidently the sincerely-stated proposition that this Massachusetts-based company must be persuasive.... because:

Conclusion
FDA has carefully considered the potential environmental impacts of the proposed action and at this time has made a preliminary determination that this action would not have a significant effect on the quality of the human environment in the United States. Therefore, FDA has made a preliminary determination that an environmental impact statement will not be prepared.

I think if you review the linked material you may find a not so uncommon pattern of "business as usual" coming into play. Not being a regular consumer of Salmon myself, I wonder about the idea of mutant fish being "obviously good for you," ... but that's just me.

The study draft which was just released (didn't want this in the election debates script!) - it only came out a few days ago - despite it being ready since April 2012... somehow... when their is an element of politics... and an element of commerce... it gives me the creeps. But I suppose the prosperity partnerships of our respective governments are clearly something which were meant to get these kinds of commercial enterprises going....

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It's disgusting.. people should leave nature alone.. so we have Frankenstein plants.. now fish. Where will all this end? Genetically modified people?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think this is sorta like playing god and seems wrong IMO. We just dont know what the effects could be on the various ecosystems if they should be released in the wild either intentionally or accidentally. Maybe nothing but who knows?

We should not playing around with nature, or it might turn around and bite us!

Nice find though!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious
It's disgusting.. people should leave nature alone.. so we have Frankenstein plants.. now fish. Where will all this end? Genetically modified people?

No. That's just the beginning.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Anything that the human race tampers with, you know it's just a matter of time before they screw something up.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Meh.

I worked in the salmon processing plant for 3 years (before I decided enoughs enough and went to college lol)

They're were modified. I ate them weekly, smoked. Tasted fine.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
We've been eating genetically modified chickens that grow much faster than the average bird from sometime now. Not much we can do about, we've been plundering the fisheries for too long and the fish stocks are running low. I'm sure the GM fish won't be required to be labeled either. It's all about making money.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
And people wonder why instances of cancer, autism, diabetes, etc., are rising exponentially. Could it possibly be that we hardly eat any real food anymore? You know, stuff human beings have evolved to ingest as sustenance?

Dirty fuel is hard on an engine. Our bodies aren't designed for this stuff, be it through genetic or chemical manipulation--"food" that doesn't exist naturally. It doesn't take a MD to figure this out. It's just common sense.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

f&s

fda approved=somebody "allowed" themselves to be bought

60 days is not enough time to find out who it is

any and all legal and peaceful efforts to stop or ban this will fail

guess what methods will be necessary to stop these toxic agenda nazis?

whats that? oh, but surely most have to realize that this is just the tip of the genocidal iceberg
if they cant poison you/inject foreign genetic material in you one way they'll just keep at it untill you're infected

where are all those animal rights activists that used to break into labs and gave the eco movement a "bad name"?
uh huh

keep putting it off folks, the required response, i for one will be spending 2013 developing "methods"
for ridding the world ecosystem of trash

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
No damn way! After the fiasco Monsanto had in India, not to mention GMO's being banned in just about every country except America, no damn way i'm going to heat GMO salmon.

Monsanto and company may have the heavy hand on Congress but it doesn't mean i have to eat their crap.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
No damn way! After the fiasco Monsanto had in India, not to mention GMO's being banned in just about every country except America, no damn way i'm going to heat GMO salmon.

Monsanto and company may have the heavy hand on Congress but it doesn't mean i have to eat their crap.

I think many people agree with your position.

However, this entire enterprise is "transnational" in nature. Our government has already demonstrated quite clearly that in order to protect commercial success, they are willing to co-opt public opinion. If the truth is that any salmon labeled "GMO" won't sell... they will simply alter the perception and marketing to engender consumer ignorance, rather than an informed choice. It is the way the always manufacture consent.

This is why 'supra-national' organizations like the UN with it's flagship Codex Alimentarium is moving relentlessly towards a paradigm where it is the quote - government - unquote, who will be the sole arbiter of what can and what cannot be distributed as food. Thus the consumer needn't worry about the details...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Soon as this gets the thumbs up, which im sure the bribes and corruption will make it so...

....just like I avoid all corn and soy based gmo products, I will now be adding Salmon to the list of No no's

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It's entirely understandable. No matter how much much i object to GMO's i know that the hog has been heavily GMOed in order to make it the profitable meat source today. Fatter and more ribs is always good eh?

If the truth is that any salmon labeled "GMO" won't sell... they will simply alter the perception and marketing to engender consumer ignorance, rather than an informed choice. It is the way the always manufacture consent.

Yes and what pisses me off is that the likes of Monsanto actually FOUGHT to have GMO labels omitted from the label of goods. Quite simply, they don't YOU to know what you are eating, therefore putting in your body. They know it will be a district decline of sales for their products.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

keep putting it off folks, the required response, i for one will be spending 2013 developing "methods"
for ridding the world ecosystem of trash

Now, this is the response we need, and all we can hope for.
Its too late for the FDA and those who approve this carp.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Its too late for the FDA and those who approve this carp.

It's salmon, not carp. Carp tastes like mud.
edit on 12/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Carp ...its kind of slang for Crap.
I thought everyone knew that.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Perhaps you should do a search before posting threads. I posted the exact same one a week ago.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
And how is it exactly that this thread makes front page with 10 piddly flags?? My same thread with same title had 20 flags and 30 stars but was left buried for the last week. Waaaaa!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Im pretty sure if you have been buying your salmon in most grocery stores, you have been eating GMO already, If it stated on the tiny label "Farm Raised" in bigger letters and "Color added" in smaller letters then you have already eaten it..Salmon was bread with another white fish that grew quickly but did not have that deep pink color, so they started adding the color in the feed to turn the meat pink..Its been on the market for a few years already. I only Buy Wild caught salmons. Huge difference in taste

Also to add. the dye used was banned in Europe because of retinal damage to human eyes, but they still used in in the US,.. Gota love the FDA

The Farm raised salmon was said to be a real salmon,, but it is not..And is and has been a threat to wild salmon.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join