It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Mongering Philosophy - Well What Does That Mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I thought the term "fear mongering" deserved a thread since it is used throughout ATS.

It seems to me people often accused of "fear mongering", so I thought I would delve a little in to what this may mean.

If one is "fearful" then it is my belief that one has reason to be, is this not the case? So accusing someone of fear mongering is a ridiculas argument is it not?

Time and again I see replies in threads stating this is just "fear mongering." But if the thread topic wasnt feasible then why would people be afraid of it?

I believe people generally do not come here just to make people afraid. Indeed, it is my belief that some, but not all, conspiracy theorists (like myself) come here and post because they are afraid of what they see unfolding.

If I posted a thread titled "Aliens Are Attacking New York" surely you wouldnt be afraid until you confirmed the truth. However if I posted a thread entitled "Obama to start A Civil War", well, this now has a probablity factor attached and is therefore open to fear mongering.

It is my opinion that people do not come here to console others feelings, if people get afraid then surely they have a reason to be afraid.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

How about looking at it from this angle........When the government and the MSM use fear mongering, we accept it as our loving parents trying to protect us...................When average people try to tell other average people how the government and the MSM are using fear to control our lives, it is know as fearmongering????

Make sense?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

How about looking at it from this angle........When the government and the MSM use fear mongering, we accept it as our loving parents trying to protect us...................When average people try to tell other average people how the government and the MSM are using fear to control our lives, it is know as fearmongering????

Make sense?

The mainstream media and government spin the truth to create a sense of fear. They have to lie, they generally talk about present happenings and events past. Its my general belief that, unlike conspiracy theorists, Mainstream media don't cover possible Future events.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Fear mongering is when unrealistic assumptions are made about ones environment and expressed with hyperbole and lies. Sort of what happened with the Mayan calender and the end of the world. In other words stupidity without credible evidence.

I'm a gun owner and NRA member and I see nothing to make me believe that the government wants to stop a
billion dollar industry in shooting sports and retail gun sales. The NRA and arms manufactures lobby is more powerful in DC than you can imagine.

Quit this "fear mongering" it just makes you look like a fool. There is no way in hell that they want or could take my pistols, shotguns or my long guns.
edit on 30-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
Fear mongering is when unrealistic assumptions are made about ones environment and expressed with hyperbole and lies. Sort of what happened with the Mayan calender and the end of the world. In other words stupidity without credible evidence.

I'm a gun owner and NRA member and I see nothing to make me believe that the government wants to stop a
billion dollar industry in shooting sports and retail gun sales. The NRA and arms manufactures lobby is more powerful in DC than you can imagine.

Quit this "fear mongering" it just makes you look like a fool. There is no way in hell that they want or could take my pistols, shotguns or my long guns.
edit on 30-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

You are going under the assumption that many of us thought the world would end on the 21st of dec. I dont believe for one instant the majority of ats members believed this would happen. There may have been a few here that believed it would but there was no credible evidence. I see thread on ats where there is credible evidence for an event and they are accused of fear mongering.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

Originally posted by seeker1963

Make sense?

The mainstream media and government spin the truth to create a sense of fear. They have to lie, they generally talk about present happenings and events past. Its my general belief that, unlike conspiracy theorists, Mainstream media don't cover possible Future events.

They do - they told us Iraq had weapons of mass destruction which could destroy us at any time. They got a war out of it through fear mongering. Only a few weeks before on the news they told us they had none.

new topics

top topics

join