It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 115
<< 112  113  114    116  117  118 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

absolutely right, the bottom of the North Island has been uplifted something like 3cm in the last year or so according to GPS readings, so that shelf is coming up along with it. Maybe that what happened, press the Pacific Plate under enough and get a buckle going, then eventually it slips, giving us the 5.7, 5.8 and 6.5 earthquakes.
If so ,then in energy release should be higher ,therefore this can mean a big one is due,for such a massive displacement.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
China getting some action this evening!

9km NNE of Chabu, China
2013-07-21 18:12:35 UTC-07:0010.1 km
14km SW of Xinsi Zhen, China
2013-07-21 17:09:43 UTC-07:009.4 km
13km E of Chabu, China
2013-07-21 16:45:56 UTC-07:009.8 km

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

sorry I got the name wrong , Cape Palliser is the next point east, I meant Turakirae Head which is at -41.435213°, 174.917132°

the Pacific Plate ducks under and disappears into the earths mantle over to the west

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I see. The shelf effect is fairly clear.

One could easily conjecture that in the not too distant future, that strait is going to be . . . challenging to stay alive in.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

not necessarily, the 5.7 and 5.8 would have been the snag breaking and then the 6.5 the drop away, anything after that the settling down

The only problem with that theory is the 3 big quakes were running NE to SW in magnitude order over just 9km and that is not the motion/direction of the subduction which is the opposite direction SE to NW.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

The only problem with that theory is the 3 big quakes were running NE to SW in magnitude order over just 9km and that is not the motion/direction of the subduction which is the opposite direction SE to NW.
If so then we have a new plate which is not yet discovered,to have a shear mechanism,which I doubt.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
this map is for the 21st July UTC only, not the whole series

[color=8BB381](click image for interactive map, opens in new tab/window)

zoom out for all of NZ, which had in 24 hrs;
mag1= 37 , mag2= 319 , mag3= 193
mag4= 29 , mag5= 3 , mag6= 1
total= 582, total energy released= 87,946.412 TTNT

they keep saying on the radio that there have been over 100 aftershocks, well that is true, how about 415 !! since the 6.5, and that is just till Noon (end of UTC 21st) today

edit on 21-7-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

just a guess, but I'm seeing any near future big one being in Marlborough, not Wellington, based on where the aftershocks are heading ( to the SW)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey guys, i have a SUPER big favor to ask of anyone who might know, Regarding earthquake watching using the GEE program... When selecting triangle icons on the realtime eq viewer, there are many icons which are not highlighted... upon clicking on the non highlighted ones, nothing happens.... im trying to bring up station TA.O04C- chester,Ca does anyone know how to monitor this station and which channles to monitor to bring it up on GEE... BHZ,LLZ..ect...
I cannot figure it out... and i believe something really interesting is going on in this area.... Chester EQ's look at the whole northern cali area popping off little ones... but in this general area i am interested in is mt lassen to the north a ways.... so any help on this matter will be highly appreciated.....

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Hi Steve. A few months back, the software coding was changed that delivers the data into GEE. We are waiting to see if GEE will be updated with a new version that is able to receive the data in the new format.
So for now, the TA network stations don't load--well, they don't load for me.

In the meanwhile, you can use the CalVO Lassen Monitoring page to get a look at webicorders that aren't too far away.
The nearest GEE stations that load for me are BK.WDC.BHZ or NN.GZY.EHZ. Here is a look at the short-band station:

The station you asked about in Chester, TA.O04D isn't there anymore--it was temporary. The nearest one on that network that should work once GEE is updated is TA.O03D at Paynes Creek.

edit on 7/21/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

as well as subduction we have deformation going on too, the deformation matches the sequence of current quakes location wise NE to SW

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Thanks for your reply and that helpful link

Im about 80 miles away this this area of interest... had a fairly large..5.6 or 5.9 i believe eq here a few weeks bk... in the aftershocks slowed down for a bit, but have appeared to pick back up these last cpl days

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
clicking on this composite set of maps showing each of the main events in the Cook Strait series will take you to an interactive version where you can click and unclick the boxes on the left to see the track of the series, which is to the South West. You sometimes have to have a few attempts at this depending on how fast your connection is there.
Grey Icons are the 5.7 and aftershocks, Orange the 5.8 and a/s, and the Red icons are the 6.5 and a/s

This map has the icons in the usual key colours, but you can do the same interactivity on that too.

The timeline on both the maps and the graph below is 77.75hrs after the first 5.7

[color=8BB381](click image for larger version, opens in new tab/window)

just felt a 4.6 aftershock, just a shake for a few seconds, quite intense given the small size and the distance

Public Id: 2013p546702
NZST: Monday, July 22 2013 at 6:43:08 pm
Intensity: strong
Depth: 16 km
Magnitude: 4.6
www.geonet.org.nz...

edit on 22-7-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

GEE will be updated with a new version that is able to receive the data in the new format.

I believe REV has been done so GEE must be fairly close on the list.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

as well as subduction we have deformation going on too, the deformation matches the sequence of current quakes location wise NE to SW

Sorry . . . but reading that, I'm a bit more confuzzzzed than usual about such things.

It seems to me that your map and quakes depicted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

show a progression in time from

NW TO SE???

Aren't the LATER spheres the ones on top of the earlier spheres?

What am I not seeing or not understanding?

edit on 22/7/2013 by BO XIAN because: addition

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Actually steve, that station is non-operational, according to the bud explorer. It stopped delivering data (or was closed) back in 2007. Many or most TA stations are still delivering data. You can see the list of operational stations here:

www.iris.edu...

As you can see, it is not listed there either- therefore, it is kaput.

As it turns out, the NC network actually has three accelerometer stations at or near near Lake Almanor where that swarm is occurring. But interestingly, they are pretty well hidden, and data not readily accessible. Even yours truly here doesn't have access- although I might see what I can do about that.
It appears they are not wanting to share that info with the public. I'd write to NC network, and perhaps see if they'd say why.

Olivine appears to be correct. TA stations don't load for me either in GEE. I can get most of them in my other rig though, through IWS, or through other means which I cannot discuss.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Magnitude Mw 6.3
Region PRINCE EDWARD ISLANDS REGION
Date time 2013-07-22 07:01:42.0 UTC
Location 46.16 S ; 34.85 E
Depth 2 km
Distances 1976 km S of Maseru, Lesotho / pop: 118,355 / local time: 09:01:42.0 2013-07-22
2226 km S of Mbabane, Swaziland / pop: 76,218 / local time: 09:01:42.0 2013-07-22
2249 km S of Maputo, Mozambique / pop: 1,191,613 / local time: 09:01:42.0 2013-07-22

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Star for that one! I saw it first thing this morning and did not bother to come on to the thread and post as I assumed it had been posted.

Tsk. How did we get so complacent that another one on the bottom of the world does not register?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Replying to myself as I said there would be casualties and it seems there were.

Strong earthquake kills at least 17, injures 279 in China (ATS thread)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Tsk. How did we get so complacent that another one on the bottom of the world does not register?
Right.

This why we must pay a visit to mister Muzzy sometimes soon,of course if he will not hide.

Life is passing and there are things that we may regret we didn't achieved.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Originally posted by muzzy

Sorry . . . but reading that, I'm a bit more confuzzzzed than usual about such things.
It seems to me that your map and quakes depicted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
show a progression in time from
NW TO SE???
Aren't the LATER spheres the ones on top of the earlier spheres?
What am I not seeing or not understanding?

No the icons are loaded by latitude, northern first southern last, not by time.
Its a quirk of Google Maps.
Have a look at some of my aftershock maps on eqarchives and you will see the same effect.
Unfortunately Google Maps only allow 30 individual icons per map, so numbering each event wouldn't work beyond the first 30.
I can do it using GPS Visualiser, but I can't load the result to the internet without my own web site and a personal google_api_key which I have never succeeded in obtaining.

top topics

<< 112  113  114    116  117  118 >>

join