It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Arms Trade Treaty, it's alive.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Okay bare with me. In trying to paint a clear picture here.

In light of the recent tragedies there is something i wish the community should stay focused on, seeing as how that is what we do anyhow. I'm not here to debate the recent happenings, just something i want to bring to everyone's attention. Obama Administration Endorses New U.N. Arms Trade Treaty Negotiations. That was really quick after he got reelected. Funny how his previous try got shot down earlier UN Arms Trade Treaty Dies Sudden Death. What the president wanted at that time didn't matter, seeing as how the House and/or Senate had it's SAM ready for this incoming bogie.

Reaffirmingthe sovereign right and responsibility of any State to regulate and
control transfers of conventional arms that take place exclusively within its territory,
pursuant to its own legal or constitutional systems

Okay...

Noting the contribution made by the 2001 United Nations Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects, as well as the 2001 Protocol against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Their Parts and Components and Ammunition, supplementing the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime

Mexican drug lords!

Now, I would like to bring your attention to the UN Arms Trade Treaty. For those that are inclined here is a quick summary, curtsey of Wikpedia; Arms Trade Treaty or your like me and would like to read the actual document... United Nations Conference on Arms Trade Treaty. This NY Post is a good laymen talk of what it is A bad UN idea on arms deals

Take a hard look at Article 20 & Article 21-b. And Article 11 & 14, lots of good articles.. heh. Talk about words with wide meaning, it looks like a lawyer wrote it.

But you have to ask yourself why would Obama agree to that UN Arms Treaty? It's insane considering the sheer amount of arms that the US provides to the world. All it's going to add is paper-work & bureaucracy for the legitimate players (the people that make the Patriot weapons system for example), seeing as how U.S. Arms Sales Make Up Most of Global Market.

Let's look at gun ownership over the world for the big global players... mmm it seems that citizen ownership of guns is only big in the good ol' USA. China? Nope can't have guns. You gotta register to have a long knife forget a gun. Russia? A normal citizen? No saturday night special for you even though a shotgun or hunting rifle is fine even though it is hard as hell to get. Gun ownership is not big at all in India either. Europe? They own them, but no where near what we do. Our citizens have more guns than there are military personnel. 88% of Americans own guns. About a cool 176 million Americans.

So what am i saying? I am saying that Obama agreed to the UN Arms Trade Treaty right after winning his presidency (see above) and now gun control is on the tip of everyone's tongue. Even Huffington agrees Gun Control Laws: After Sandy Hook, Poll Finds Bump In Support For Greater Restrictions .

Just something to keep in mind.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
And let's not forget this little nugget:

So far as what the polls say, I don't buy it. Every since the Sandy Hook shooting, CNN has been pedal-to-the-metal trying to tell it's viewers that we need "reasonable" restrictions on the 2nd Amendment. Maybe what we need are some "reasonable" restrictions on the 1st Amendment to prevent propoganda agencies from trying to con us out of our Constitutional rights.

join