It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people confuse legal with free for everybody

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
As you may be aware, there have recently been quite a few threads about gun rights on ATS and I've noticed something strange; it seems like a lot of people mix up something being legal with something being free or easily affordable and available for everyone. I'm not taking a position here on guns, it can be anything. I've seen people do the same thing when marijuana legalization comes up--as though there will just be free pot stations all around. Just because something is legal doesn't make it cheap or readily available, much less free for everyone upon request.
End of rant

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's along the same lines as people confusing "equality of opportunity" with "equality of achievement." People prefer to think their failures are attributable to lack of opportunity rather then the lack of their ability to achieve. It must be someone else's fault.
edit on 12/19/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeekerMike

Well when you use the words RIGHTS you are implying something different than a PRIVILEGE ...

one can be regulated with discrimination....the other cannot...

They didn't name it the "Bill of Privileges"...but our government and many others it has convinced think that is exactly what it means...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Excellent point. I think most people, as a result of their conditioning, do not understand the major difference between rights and privileges. The Bill of Rights didn't give anything, it enumerated some basic god-given human rights that governments had been known to violate and attempted to protect from the same thing happening again.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Very well put, and I hope that people start to realize the differences between rights and privileges.

The entire notion that we have to have "licenses" for something that is supposed to be considered a right is ludicrous.

join