It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Navy 'helped Venezuelan coup'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The UK daily broadsheet, The Guardian's investigative reporter Duncan Campbell ... reporting from Los Angeles ... says that the United States of America had been considering a coup d'etat to overthrow the elected Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez Frias since June 2001, according to former US intelligence officer Wayne Madsen.

Here is the rest of the story:
www.vheadline.com...

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have no doubt that this article is accurate, but would say that the reason for the US support to the coup attempt was not directed against the president so much as the sitting parliament:

Venezuela is the 3rd largest oil producing nation. The current parliament supports converting the oil standard currency from the US dollar to the Euro. The current president wishes to keep the US Dollar as the standard. At the moment, there is stalemate between the camps, which may well be why the CIA, et al, did not force the coup. However, I would suggest that should the parliament overcome the president and affirm the currency conversion, the coup would reignite, and would likely be successful, driven by the CIA and other US shadow forces.

For more information on this angle, check this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 02:33 AM
link   
South America is a bit of a sensitive area as far as politics is concerned, too.

Leftist administrations such as Chavez's have a tendancy to aide groups(s) interested in attacking the governments that aren't leftist, such as Columbia's government.

FARC is not supported from within Columbia but from outside. Assistance has come from Venesuala, and that might be a reason for the U.S. g'mnt to lend a hand in Chavez's toppling, you s'pect?

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Judging by America's history in South American politics, I wouldnt be suprised at all. I'll bet they bring in another psycho murderer.

XAOS

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I watched a program about U.S. Navy SEALS that were covertly active in the hunt for Pablo Escobar, the drug king on Colombia.

top topics

join