It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher calls U.S. a "Stupid Country"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   

America is a great country

we have great stuff thats true, but are ethics are abso#$@%inglutly ridiculous. i have never left california for the simply reason the vast number of downright mentally defective indivuals is a limitless supply of humor, and ego building. they are hopelessly sucked one after another into the warp of passive conformity, and marketing indulgance. the majority have sacraficed their intellectual proweress for something a little more tangible, cell phones, big screens, and comfy cars. the level of thought going on is messured by how long people can stop screaming at each other. bill mahar is 94.2495% correct

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Quote: "Well I have to agree with him, This country is stupid enough to actually believe things the Government says to them, and yet as soon as they Smoke Weed they get arrested for being a Terrorist"!

Exactly! Ditto! Welcome to the Fascist Police State which is the Good Old
U.S. of A!

I Love it when I hear Bill O'Reilly say things like "The *MAJORITY* of Americans are "White Christians" & when he called *AMERICAN CITIZEN* Protesters @ the Republican Convention "Terrorists"!!!

Oh Well I guess that�s what we get for declaring a War on Terror - without ever actually defining what a "Terrorist" is!!!

Bill Maher is the MAN!!! He is not a CRONIE & has the Tentacles to say what is really going on!!!

The Patriot Act - We went to Iraq because we Love them & want to "Give" them Democracy? You have got to be Kidding me - yet plenty still buy it!!!!

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   
You know where Maher stands? Really? He is marketing an idea, and you are buying it. You are part of America about which he refers. He says "they" (Now, who could he be talking about?) morphed bin Laden into Hussein, and we are stupid because they did that. He thinks we are stupid becausae we believe him when he says they did that. I have a flash message for Bill and you; I am not that stupid. They didn't morph anything, they didn't try to morph anything, and only morons who wish to buy into such garbage as what is being spewed by semi-literate, mush for brain liberal entertainers.

I know the difference between the two, see the two separate yet entertwined dangers of the two and am glad that one of the two is no longer a loose threat.

It probably would blow Bill's little mind if he could actually comprehend the fact that our military is also in other places in the world doing work that he isn't even aware of.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Trust me, months ago i would be agreeing with you, but now I def. see the light. America is a great country, and i cant wait to go back for the summer.

What just because you've seen a #hole that's not america means america is great?
hmm

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City

The number one news channel in the USA is Fox News Channel, a channel so bias that it was actually banned in Canada. America is also poling just about 50/50 in the election, this means that 50% of the country actually WANTS Bush to win!

So Canada banned Fox News because it is biased? And the reason they allow Al Jazeera to air is......? Because they are not biased?

The French, Dutch and Germans are, in my oppinion, much better informed than their American counterparts. I'd trust the EU to choose America's president more than I would trust the Americans to do it!

And I'll bet that they count Al Jazeera as one of their main sources of information.

I have the feeling that you would trust anyone other than Americans to choose our president, true? Too bad they will never get the chance to.

It's not stupid that we allow women the right to choose what to do with their bodies and men, who by definition will never have children, and other women do not dictate reproductive rights.

Reproductive capabilities go a little bit deeper than "definition".

Maher is successful for the same reason that people like Rush Limbaugh are successful. They capitalize on the fact that they can convince people that ALL X ARE BAD or ALL Y ARE GOOD. People stupidly believe them.

As someone already pointed out, when Maher calls America stupid, he is actually including his audience in the tally.

:shk:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
im amazed,,, how can you people have so much hatred towars other peoples OPINIONS...

calling me brainwashed because im gonna vote for bushl...

listen to what you're saying...

Go live in another country... please.... i beg you to...

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I too agree with Bill, lived in the States for 16 years, so I have first hand knowledge. America is a land of democracy but not the kind the people think.
It is a Corporate Democracy. Big companies and lobbists rule, not the regular Joe Blow.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
I too agree with Bill, lived in the States for 16 years, so I have first hand knowledge. America is a land of democracy but not the kind the people think.
It is a Corporate Democracy. Big companies and lobbists rule, not the regular Joe Blow.

^^^ Smartest thing said in this thread.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Question: Is MMoore and Maher twins?

Another question: What exactly makes Maher a 'political analyst'? Is it because he is a "frequent" visitor on CNN's Larry King?

And a few others: Why does he continue to reside in the US IF he thinks that American's are stupid? I mean afterall, doesn't he believe he is an American when it suits him to think so? Is he another one who has claimed that they will leave the US if Bush is elected.....?

Hey, maybe he will honor that promise if such transpires?!

seekerof

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
All this talk about America being "stupid", but nobody brings up the education system. It is wrought with political correctness and meaningless diversity.

At least Republicans want to do something about it. It's called No Child Left Behind. It puts accountablity back into the schools. The liberals hate it because they hate accountabity. Teachers need to be tested. I have a great example....

I was showing a $30,000 vehicle to a teacher. She loved it, then she said as long as you can keep my monthly payment at $300 a month I will buy it.

She also said she had no trade in and no money down. I told her this was impossible. She asked why. I asked her, What is 30,000 divided by 60?

I continued to ask her this simple math problem several times, then I asked her if she was sure she was a teacher. I just ripped into her. I explained to her that 30,000 divided by 60 was 500, that was with no interest. I finally told her to leave.

As a car salesman I see this all the time from the public "Yeah, I want the Escalade, but I can only pay $250 a month"

But for a teacher to be this stupid just amazed me.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Carseller4]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

Originally posted by marg6043
Well I was actually just watching his program on HBO and he rocks, he got a point, people in US will believe anything that the government with the help of the media markets to them.

Does that mean we are only stupid, we are also gullible.

It means we are gullible, not stupid

Yes sorry I was to tired when I wrote that

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Well, I too, agree with Maher, but for completely diffenent reasons. Any country that can be convinced that they need to drive a two ton luxury truck that gets 8 miles to the gallon, just so the automobile industry can make a bigger profit margin and the demand for gasoline will cause gas prices to skyrocket can't be too bright.

Grady...On this part of your post I couldn't agree with you more. In many ways we all know what is causing the rise in gas prices...ourselves! As I have said before "we are the black drug users, and 'they' are our dealers", and people that drive vehicles like you just described are half the reason many of us are paying so much for our "drug".

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Maher makes money being controversial, just like any other HBO show. I mean, when the last time you saw a wholesome sitcom there? Not saying he's necessarilly wrong, but it's not like he doesn't have a vested interest in pissing people off.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It looks like we all saw through this statement by Maher. It is good for the ratings as people who don't like him or agree with him will watch too just to see what he says.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The United Stupids of America?? hmmm

Nahh, will all respect to Bill, I can't totally agree with what he is saying. While I agree 100% that yes it's all about marketing and it's deplorable. I have respect for the people of America, they truly have changed the world in so many positive ways, show great pride for their County, and are among the most generous people on the planet.

I will say however that the American people have lost the power to make a difference. This did not happen overnight and it will not be changed overnight either. It was after all an unfair fight, in one corner you have the very rich/billionaire politicians with little morals if any, and in the other corner you have the average Joe trying to make ends meet and feed his family. Not a fair fight at all.

I am starting to see the same thing happening in Canada and I don't think that there is anything that we can do about it. It's sad to watch a major news network and not have complete faith in what they say. Once the people are not honestly informed, how are we really supposed to know the truth? If you don�t know the truth, then how are you supposed to do the right thing?

Eventually you find yourself in a situation where you are being driven in this direction and that direction and you really can�t help it. Not everyone has the same time to spend reading 3 maybe 4 papers a day and can afford to watch hours of news programming on top of that every day. Bill can do this and more, so from his perspective the �average� American may appear a little slow, and I take my hat off to people like him that are trying to make a difference. He means well after all.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I just wanted to correct two statements:

1) Bill Maher was born in New York is not in Canada, and is not a Canadian citizen.

2) Al Jazeera while given the go ahead in Canada had such stringent restrictions imposed that it renders the broadcast a virtual impossibilty.e.g; no utterences resembling hate toward Israel may be broadcast. To date AJ is not being broadcast in Canada, and likely won't unless they change the content.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Quote: "He is marketing an idea, and you are buying it".

Yeah - kind of like "Be Afraid - the Terrorists are around every Corner - If you want to Live - Vote Bush. If you don't care about possibly Dieing in a Terrorist Attack - Vote for Kerry".

Or how about this one "Saddam Hussein is a *HUGE THREAT* to the U.S.A with all of those *WMD* that he has (False on both accounts - although you don't hear this too much in the Media)"!!!

So you mean Marketing like that huh - or should I say Out Right Lieing & FalseHood & Fear Mongering! Did you buy this? Did your Family Members Die in 9/11 or the Iraq War? That is why I like to call them
Neo-CON-Artists!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Been to 17 countries myself, and the US is definitely the best place overall for many reasons.

I wouldn't call it a stupid country, I'd call the US a naive country.

The reason is, is that the US is geographically isolated compared to most of the rest of the world. An even bigger reason is, this country is a massive cultural exporter. Thus, it's easy for the government to give people their worldview.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I agree with Bill 100%. Sure he espouses liberal rhetoric and makes money doing it. That doesn't mean he only does it for the money and ratings. I think he believes the things he says. Wouldn't you share your beliefs for a paycheck? Nothing wrong with that.

After all the times the Bush administration has changed (flip-flopped) it's justification for invading Iraq, due to new information coming forward, it's hard to imagine that anyone at all would believe it at this point. All the administration can say now is that we invaded Iraq because Saddam's a bad guy and the world's better off without him. If anyone accepts that as justification, then Bill's statements directly apply to them.

The $200,000,000,000 (lot of zeros!!) PLUS that we will spend on Iraq could surely have been put to better use on our own country. That's a lot of money! With every paycheck you get, a considerable amount of the tax that comes out of it is committed to Iraq, whether you like it or not. You weren't asked if it was OK; it was shoved down your throat. Meanwhile, the ones responsible for 9/11 are still out there plotting the next little surprise. With all our technology and American know-how, which we love to flaunt and pat ourselves on the back for, we should have captured Osama Bin Laden LONG AGO. Politically it makes perfect sense, though, because now George Dubya & Co. can use fear tactics to win another 4 years. They can say, "The terrorists are still out there, and you need us to hunt 'em down.". If people actually buy that trash, then Bill's statements directly apply to them.

This administration is shaping up to be the first since Hebert Hoover to have negative job growth for an entire presidential term. The fact that the National Deficit has reached an all-time high, and our surplus has changed to debt, says a lot. Now, if anyone thinks we are better off than 3 1/2 years ago, then Bill's statements directly apply to them.

Our freedoms are steadily dwindling. We Americans say that we're willing to give them up to win this "War on Terrorism". We do this on 100% faith that George Dubya knows what he's doing, and it's, therefore, a necessity. What in George's career has given him ALONE the knowledge to fight terrorism? It couldn't have been his training in the Texas Air National Guard; he wasn't around enough to gain such an extensive knowledge. My only guess is THE LORD told him what to do. If anyone buys this, then Bill's statements directly apply to them.

I've been to other countries, too, and our mindset is unique. We are still a great nation, true. But this is due to past administrations and generations, NOT because of what we've done in the last 3 1/2 years. Over the last few years the respect and envy of the rest of the world has turned to distrust, disrespect and fear. It may take a generation to undo the damage done by this administration. And for those who are unable to see this, then Bill's statements directly apply to you.

This could go on endlessly, but I'll spare you. IMHO, Bill is right on ...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is the country that has a Masonic Order symbol right on the $1 bill, and no one bothers to ask what it is or what the little Latin words mean. You can get anything by us rubes.

Left and Right party rhetoric only serves the true masters of this country and the world. Good cop, bad cop. Invading Iraq is dumber than dumb, so I can't help but think it serves in a larger plan that doesn't have any of the ignorant classes, Americans included, in mind.

What Bill Maher should say is that people are stupid, period. In fact, P.T. Barnum already said it long ago and way better: "There's a sucker born every minute."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join