It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portrait of Christ (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Portrait of Christ

This is a beautiful video to watch.
If you know how to use photoshop you will appreciate this work of art.

The artist is Jeremy Cowart

“Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, who pleases me. I have put my Spirit upon him. He will bring justice to the nations. (Isaiah 42:1 NLT)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

Awesome. Oh and look we didnt bomb people for painting jesus. GJ.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Beautiful, the product of dedication and faith in what you love.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Is he supposed to look like an alien? I appreciate art, but I just don't get his interpretation... lol

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I was just going to let my OP sit, waiting for replies, but as i pondered this vidieo and the process I realized a few things I would like to share.

I thoroughly enjoy watching the creative process. I thought about, when we get to heaven how awesome it will be to witness the creative nature of God.

At one point I was totally like wow he is ruining that great pastel image. That first pice was amazing enough for me, but as he continued it became dirty and muddy with layers and parts that frustrated the clearer image of Christ, obviously he had a plan.

I think that this process is how Christ sees us, his creation. We have an ideal image that we want to keep, but the creator, the artist has a different plan that we can't see. All of us have layers of life that make us the pice of art we are today, we are not finished.

This video was long, I was hoping he was finished but as he kept adding new elements, it kept getting more unique. No longer was it just some drawing filled in with color, it was a compound of elements and layers that the artist specifically chose to fulfill his plan.

As always beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the artist is the only one who truly knows and can appreciate its beauty, He is the ultimate beholder. We often look to others for our self worth or take on the burden ourselves of removing the layers trying to find the pure self.

The closest thing that I can relate this to is the love and attraction I have for my wife. While she is not the same brightly colored image I first knew, she still amazes me, when I finally slowdown and really look. The layers are there but I dont long for them to be removed. I don't want to go back. There are layers I would wish were not there, but I'm not in control. The creator has given me one of his finest pices of art to cherish and love, and I intend to until His plan is complete.

An artist has the freedom to create,
yet is slave to others freedom of choice.

The passion and will is only known to the one who creates
The opinions and doubt divide the like from the hate - Me

edit on 5-12-2012 by Observationalist because: Grammar

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Hmmmm, another cursed one and another supposed portrait of Jesus with a bung eye.

The Quran teaches that the anti-christ will be blind in one eye, and that Jesus and the ONE he prayed to surely are not blind in one eye. That aside, even if the art was actually good to the eye(which it's far from), it would still be far from biblical.

Deuteronomy 5:8 You shall not make you any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath...

Deuteronomy 27:15 Cursed be the man that makes any graven or molten image, an abomination to the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman

I dont know how so many christians can be so stupid, many I refuse to believe that they are that stupid and I believe are wolves dressed as sheep.

When muslims show outrage at people immitating GODS living creation, especially the prophets, it's funny how you hear christains speaking out against these muslims as well, in fact they're speaking out against their own book, but hey, that's nothing new most of them dont even know their own book.

One word for this image(and many more like it): disgraceful..... your welcome to talk to the hand, 'cos I 'aint listening to the devil preach. Lets hope the christians wake up before the messiah returns.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

One word for this image(and many more like it): disgracegul..... your welcome to talk to the hand, 'cos I 'aint listening to the devil preach. Lets hope the christians wake up before the messiah returns

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Are you opposed to any artistic expression of Jesus?
I think this as a form of art not creating an idol. if you watch the process it tells of the artist unique impression of Christ.
I don't intend to worship it, because I know it has no power. When people pretend images have power then they become idols.

Here are the rest of the verse you used.
Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the Lord , the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen. (Deuteronomy 27:15 KJV)

Secret place?

Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: (Deuteronomy 5:8 KJV)

Is the heavens above referring to stars sun moon kind of heavens, since it continues with water and earth?

I think in this context it refers to physical observed images, such as the Sun.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I take it as thou shall not make an image of ANY created thing, and islamically it goes into more detail and mentions anything with eyes.

Thou shall not make any image of a living thing nor direct worship to any created thing, not just in the case that you plan on worskipping it, for instance you are not meant to make an image even if it is of a supposed famous person becasue future generations may end up worsipping it, as has happened in the past. Let alone making an image of Jesus that looks desgraceful and has a bung eye just like the anit-chirst, that goes beyond doubt and into the sinister. Remember there are manydeluded people, for instance some masons, kaballists, witches, scorcerers, etc that call the prophets powerful magicians and hold them in high regard, so again for instance I dont care for a wannabe magician who secretly calls Jesus a magician and draws ridiculous(to many forbidden) images that hes conjured up in his own mind of Jesus, and I find this one in particular and many like it that depict Jesus with the anti-christs bung eye to be sinister to the core, whether intentional or not.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

Yup well the world is not going to bend over and take it every time you get bible froggy and decide to hop on your holy pedestal there bud. Its art, get used to it or go burn ALL of your books. Those also have graven images in them which will Im sure you understand, must also include writing.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

I totally respect your conviction here. One of the reason I love ATS, you get differnt perspectives and start to see how others view the world.

Not sure how to live this out though. Much of what we learn from is then corrupted form man's created impression of things, from the art we see to the words we read. Do we toss it all out?

Jesus was a carpenter, not sure how much creative license was given to carpenters in that time.

I would suspect your concern with the the bung eye is from the following verse, which is alluding to the anti-Christ.

Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened. (Zechariah 11:17 KJV)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
(Oh god hes back, why cant Neph just stfu?)
The other great thing about ats is that you don't have to agree with anyone else's opinion, after all its just an opinion; heres more of mine. (read on or ignore, its up to you; I personally don't care either way) Heh, hmm, actually, hell, we dont even respect the "facts" or even official stories here depending on what the subject is. Its kinda how we all find out stuff is either true or a load of crap. Speaking of crap, (points upward) I personally see that sort deep personal interpretation towards graven images as week attempt at censorship. You know, I have a lot of love for my faith, but I do not push it on others and I don't expect the world to be bound by that faith. It is called patience and understanding, two things jesus practiced in his life.

(considerations)
Jesus also said love your neighbor, pretty sure that covers calling folks stupid and killing people over graven images. (I wouldn't so quickly agree with some folks convictions.) What else does the bible say? eye for an eye right? AND, also... treat others as you would be treated. By that stance alone if I am hated or hunted by a christian or muslim for drawing or painting jesus or a prophet, then they should in turn expect to be hated and or hunted. Jesus also says to forgive and you will be forgiven by the lord, luckily for some people in our little world that this is a complete contradiction to what I said prior, else we'd have a really big problem on our hands, now wouldn't we? But what do I know Im stupid for talking to the hand. (ponders)

(perspective tangents, or.. possibly not)
Lets look at the catholic church. (Oohh shineh and sparkleh! the church itself is a graven image!)
Walk into any one of them and they are filled with paintings, statues and glass. Lets not forget the crowns. Now we're talking about the house of the lord here filled with graven images. Ask a priest why. they'll likely tell you something akin to this. Those images tell the story of the lord our savior and are personal reminders of his sacrifice and love for us all. But we all know the popes of the past in all of their "holiness", actually appreciated art too, they may or may not tell you that.
Just an FYI. No one in the church actually worships these things. Why? because these material things would then be Idols.

(Silly ass-umptions for everyone!)
Anyway, I'm being told indirectly that I'm stupid (and in a rather cowardly way I might add) up there by someone who is likely the product of offshoot teachings of that original faith about graven images. Again, by people who disagreed with the catholic church and left it in order to establish their own practices in the new world. Lets also look at that for a minute. Can you say inquisition, heresy, whichhunts and crusades? They left the church! Hmm, not a good thing by old measures. Why did those other orders leave the building block? lets adhere to the old way of thought for a second like that op. Was it Because it was so strict? Because they disagreed? How would those branches of faith enjoy me, a self proclaimed devote catholic storming into their homes to find out just how much faith they actually have? Hmm? Something to think about. Its good thing we do not do that anymore, no? Hmm? dont do as the romans do? oh thats right, vengeance belongs to the lord. Dammit, guess we cant do that then. I guess Ill have to be a witness to the faults of mankind and pray for them during the judgement that belongs to god and god alone.

Now I personally used to wear a cross, but you know? After I grew up a little more I sort of began to think it was just sick of me to carry an image of a shunned, whipped, beaten, speared and finally murdered person on my neck. So I can partially to this day agree with some of that op. What say you?

(Holy snapple crapple, whats with all the typing! TLDR Neph, sorry, I condemn all this condemnation and Im right but alas)
I guess it doesn't matter really, muslims and christians alike ignore everything and anyone they don't agree with. So I suppose... ignorance is bliss and apparently religion is only quoted and used to condemn out of pride rather than to spread good word and moral message. Its sad really, to take something so sacred and make the world hate it. I condemn that sort of false authority enforced by the lie that is perdition. That is the work of satan and its out that ignorance that the lord loses his children. You dumasses don't have that authority but you sure act like you do. Drink on it. Some should actually feel shame, too bad sociopaths with a lack of empathy, moral compass and conscience can't because it's simply not in them to do so.

To the artist I say paint on brother, paint on!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

To clarify, I respect his opinion not agree.
I guess I'm too nice, I'm trying to establish a rapport, n an effort to better understand an opinion on art and religion I have not come across before. Just like I respect the process of the artist but may not like the end product, I respect his conviction that brought him to his opinion.

I try to let the stupid, talk to the palm comment roll off my back.

It is called patience and understanding, two things jesus practiced in his life.

For the record: I can't see a God who is considered the creator would want to stifle creativity. I do think He wants to make sure that people operate within healthy boundaries, That's what the Ten Commandments provide.

I'm with you Neph, let the artist paint, let the musician compose, let the poet write, let the carpenter carve, let the architect build. Everything good that God provides satan tries to corrupt. Love is corrupted, and creativity is corrupted by satan. If I runaway every time I'm faced with a corrupt version of something that was meant to be pure, then I'm giving power to the act or the image.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Its just the whole idea observe. Censorship brother. Its a tool much like religion, money and government are tools. Put those three together, you basically have complete control. Wouldnt you agree? I think its silly when anyone embraces the ridiculous demands of these tools for that very reason. And christianity, regardless of any of the "unpublished books concerning gender bias" or control methods within, it actually helped in some ways to pave the way at least during the time, free will. For the first time you take something like slavery and tell a slave, hey man, you might work for this guy, but he isnt your master, and caesar isnt your god, throw your money, you cant take it with you when you die. Those are words of liberation right? 2k years later, here's followers of two groups who basically believe in the same god saying you cant paint this, you can't draw that, you can't depict this or we will kill you. Tha hell? And christians, oh geez. What am I missing here? What do you tell all those people? You dont own me MF! amiright? Sadly, Not a damn thing has changed. People still don't get it.

So, I'm no apostate by any means, (certainly not interested in offending anyone) and I don't mean for you to feel that Im attacking your position, but I do recognize (as you do obviously) that at least in part free will is ours and in the end, we don't actually have to answer to anyone on earth let alone some misled individual who qoutes extreme control mechanisms (written by men, not god mind you, men) into a book they decided to call the word of god.

And of course just for the record, Im talking generally about those with extreme views, not so much one person in particular or any moderates out there.

So why am I saying all this? I doodle little a bit, and, if I choose to draw a prophet or the golden gate bridge with nude women wielding machine guns and dildos in their holsters as they're running across it, guess what, its getting drawn. (not that id do it, good taste, morals and ethics are another convo) but I would hope anyone else would do the same if it came down to it and not give into that complete tool minded (I control you) crap up there.

edit on 6-12-2012 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

the thing is Christians do not worship the Cross or an image of Jesus... they worship his word and actions.

go back a verse or two in Deuteronomy.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Religions corral their people to protect them from outside influences that they perceive will corrupt their neat little world. When something as simple and subjective as art threatens that little world, the people and leaders react, and retreat.
Im a christian, went to a christian school where we had to watch a weeks worth of videos explaining how Rock N Roll is of the devil. I saw how quick christians crown someone as a great talent just because they profess a faith in God, for instant Thomas Kinkade. If your a Christian and don't like Kinkade then your faith must be in question. Or if your a christian and listen to Gun N Roses then your week in your faith.

I believe God is not a joy kill here, but its the worried religious that lack confidence in their faith, and thus need tangible borders to feel secure in their faith. nothing wrong with boundaries, but to project that fear on the others as doctrine or a judgment is not cool.

The Bible is clear on how a christian is to lead his life. Jesus was the example, Paul helped to set the boundaries, insecure faithed people took those boundaries too far, and in some ways they turned the parameters into Idols. Its the same reason Jesus got angry when he saw the temple, being used as a market place. Jesus's beef was with the religious leaders not the people.

wow, ok so now I'm preaching? sorry.

Draw what you want, sing what you want. If you have some convictions about what is appropriate, use common sense, and realize that not everyone shares those convictions or should. The other way is true too, if you have no convictions and are willing to offend anyone, don't be alarmed when someone asks you to tone it down.

Let common sense and respect be a way to self censor.

Im done.

top topics

join