It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Possible To Use Sacred Numbers In Poetry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm guessing there are many in this forum who are familiar with some of the ancient mysteries and how the sacred numbers of Pythagoras, the Golden Ratio, etc can be used in art, photography, architecture, etc.

I am wondering if anyone knows how or if they can be applied to poetry? More so, do you know of any poets who have used it?

I do not even know if this is possible but am really curious and my search has pretty much lead me to zero information.

Thanks for your help!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Here you go:

Video pretty much explains the pattern that the song follows. Aside from this example, I'm not sure, but I'm sure a quick google search would turn out some results.

Ugh, I hate Tool so much, lol.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'll try.

There was an old man named Pythagoras,
To whom triangles were anomalous.
He squared and added two sides
Took the root and did find
The hypotenuse.

Nope. Can't be done.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

I am wondering if anyone knows how or if they can be applied to poetry? More so, do you know of any poets who have used it?

Sure it is...

Pick some numbers and then use them as quantities of syllables per line. Then attach meaning to those lines, via the number used.

You can explain a whole story in numbers, as they all 'mean something'... just apply characters and plots.

1-2-4-12-13-24-40-3-1 (example of numerical story line)

If you're familiar with numerology and the different meanings attached to numbers, this can be a great writing trick.

It could be said that ancient hebrew poetry didn't rhyme and there for the OT contains a lot of them. Then if you apply Germatria.

en.wikipedia.org...

So yeah... it's possible IMO. Just depends on how you define using sacred numbers in poetry.

The so-called Pythagoreans, who were the first to take up mathematics, not only advanced this subject, but saturated with it, they fancied that the principles of mathematics were the principles of all things. —Aristotle, Metaphysics 1–5 , cc. 350 BC
edit on 3-12-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional comment

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
dial 911 on the 666
dont be shocked when your hit with sticks
satan watching, he licks his lips
the sum of the first 36
leads you back to his evil tricks

yeah poor attempt too

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sure, there are any number of ways you could do it.

Break it up into 3 stanzas.

Have 33 syllables per line or 7 words in a sentence.

If you really want to get creative, use a numerological chart for your words (A=1, B=2, etc,) Take the word "poetry" for instance: P=16 (7), O=15 (6), E=5, T=20 (2), R=18 (9), Y=25 (7) 7+6+5+2+9+7=36 (3+6=9). So poetry is a value-9 word. There are lists of words you can find that break it down by number so you don't have to do all that work. Construct a poem using only value-9 words.

Because sacred numbers are really holographic and poetry is a form that lends itself really well to holographic communication, there are many, many ways you could integrate sacred numbers into poetry.

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
wow, this is awesome! thanks everyone, i expected this thread to have no responses

top topics

join