It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma's New Ten Commandments Monument Contains Misspellings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
$10,000 for a new monument and the carvers misspelled 2 words. I am posting this less for the shawdy work that was used in the creation of this monument but more so because of its location. This monument of the 10 commandments can be found on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capital. This controversial act was spear headed by Congressman Mike Ritze and was even paid for out of his own pocket(for which I do actually give him credit. He could have had the citizens of Oklahoma pay for it). The Supreame Court has allowed a similar monument to be placed in Texas, is this where we are headed? So much for the separation. I will let the videos give you the rest of the story.

Edit to add: At the time of the first videos posting only 1 misspelling was caught. For the other misspelling see the 2nd and or 3rd video.

Source was AOL but contained nothing but the 1st video in the above list.
edit on 1-12-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
$10,000 for a new monument and the carvers misspelled 2 words. I am posting this less for the shawdywork

Whereas I am!

but more so because of its location.

Me too! I hate spelling ignorance on ATS!

DENY SPELLING IGNORANCE!
edit on 1-12-2012 by Merriman Weir because: pretty colours

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Only in America! LOL LOL LOL

They should have got the unemployed and homeless to help. I bet they would have made a better attempt for a lot less $$$$!
edit on 1-12-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Its not like they honestly care at all what these say anywhoodihi,
its just another hook for the religious amongst us to swallow so
they will follow........

Meh the uselessness of religion never ceases to amaze me,
the moral authority and yet they cant even be moral...... sad.

Also how immoral is it to waste 10k on a monument to over hyped,
utterly useless commands when people are losing everything they
have and are hungry, but don't you go to bed feeling guilty now they
all have a sign to read so they know how to morally starve to death.......

stroking your religious morality in the name of pride is such an insult.
stop trying to show others how moral you are and actually be moral,
just be a decent person, others don't need to know how you get there,
just be there!
edit on 1-12-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Haha this doesn't surprise me.

I am a happy grammar/spelling Nazi. I get crap from people when I correct them. I have read various books and news articles online that have horrid spelling AND grammar yet that is their PROFESSION! It's embarrassing how people just don't care here if something is spelled wrong. Their answer is, "oh get over it who cares." Well I CARE. I was taught to use PROPER English not spell things how I see fit.

I don't think the Egyptians would have done such shoddy work

Sadly not many take pride in their work anymore and it shows.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Haha this doesn't surprise me.

I am a happy grammar/spelling Nazi. I get crap from people when I correct them. I have read various books and news articles online that have horrid spelling AND grammar yet that is their PROFESSION! It's embarrassing how people just don't care here if something is spelled wrong. Their answer is, "oh get over it who cares." Well I CARE. I was taught to use PROPER English not spell things how I see fit.

I don't think the Egyptians would have done such shoddy work

Sadly not many take pride in their work anymore and it shows.

Agreed. I write for a living, and while I never had any greater education in English than my peers I am shocked at how standards have collapsed over the last twenty years.

Reading through posts on Facebook is so depressing, with people barely able to write a coherent sentence. I don't mind the occasional error (everyone is guilty of their fingers moving faster than their brain occasionally) but some of the mistakes people make are ridiculous.

One of my biggest gripes is in the use of the plural or possessive apostrophe. I can accept that the plural is now almost defunct, but that doesn't mean the apostrophe is dead, or that it can be dancing around the text from one irrelevant place to another without reason!

I dread to think what the modern CV looks like. I once worked for someone who had a stack of CV's to read through for a position they needed to fill and I was charged with filtering through them based on their use of English and presentation of the information (the job included report completion for clients) and it was terrible. We had to lower our standards for there to be anyone left to consider.

And, OP, I agree on the separation of Church and State also. In a secular society this should not be permitted. No allegiance to any religious belief system should be acceptable in this case. Would people accept it if this were an Islamic text outside the building? Why is that any different? It is still expressing a relationship between religious beliefs and state management, and that should not be allowed to happen with relation to any religion.

Govern for all, not just for the followers of one religious cult.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They should have just written the whole thing in lolcat speak.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Stone doesnt have spellcheck.

Maybe there's an app for that?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Oh go on and tell me which two words are misspelled! Don't have time to watch vids right now!
Cheers & Thanks!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Apparently my spell check was turned off somehow. I am very surprised it wasn't worse actually. Thanks for the catch, I do not deny I am a bad speller, I attribute it to the many different languages I was forced to write in growing up. It is normal to see an edit in my posts with the reason of spelling, so sorry for missing those two(shoddy and the space). It's a good thing I am not getting paid $10,000 to get it right the first time, and it is very ironic that I missed it on a video based on spelling. Thanks for commenting on the topic.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Sabbath was spelled Sabbeth and Maidservant was spelled Maidseruant.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by new_here

Sabbath was spelled Sabbeth and Maidservant was spelled Maidseruant.

Oh my. Morale to the story: If you're going to commission a $10,000 engraved monument, do make sure the stone-chisler passed 3rd grade spelling!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
For my line of work, I am constantly in different states in the country. And it is from my REAL-LIFE OBSERVATIONS, that I can honestly say that the religious folks in the Southern Bible-belt states are the most UNEDUCATED, and IGNORANT citizens in our country. BY FAR!!!!!!

Honest truth. They are almost at a brain-dead level compared with the Northern, Eastern, and Western folks of the country!! Its scary bad. And they dont seem interested in changing that down there.

So, no surprise here for me!!

edit on 1-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Interesting, S&F good find

SS

new topics

top topics

join