It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAI working on classified UAV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
A "knowledgeable source" has told Flight Global that IAI is currently working on a large stealthy UAV. There are no real details about it, but several sources have said that it only makes sense that they are developing stealth systems for themselves.

What's interesting is that IAI recently said they were going smaller, cheaper, and faster. IAI has been working on stealth systems since at least the 1990s, if not longer, but as far as I have heard this would be the first actual stealth aircraft they have built.

The Israeli military is developing a large, classified unmanned air vehicle (UAV) with features consistent with stealthy aircraft designs, according to a knowledgable source.

The secret project involves a "fairly large" UAV in development by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), the maker of the non-stealthy Heron and Eitan (which is called the Heron TP for export) UAVs, the source says.

Israel has been openly involved with stealth and minimal-detection programmes. Experts familiar with Israeli industry profess little surprise in a low-observable aircraft capability.

www.flightglobal.com...

Considering the RQ-170, Taranis, X-47, etc I would say that this is almost definitely going to be a flying wing type design. The question is going to be will it be a UCAV, or will it be similar to the Sentinel, where it carries a quick change ISR package.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Could they be planning to use this as a delivery package against Iran? (potentially even as a one way flight if they can't get refueling in place?)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

It could be used for that, depending on when it actually flies, the size, etc. That's actually something that popped into my head when I read the article.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
A "knowledgeable source" has told Flight Global that IAI is currently working on a large stealthy UAV. There are no real details about it, but several sources have said that it only makes sense that they are developing stealth systems for themselves.

What's interesting is that IAI recently said they were going smaller, cheaper, and faster.

That works when fighting Hamas to Hebzollah threats, not Iran.

new topics

top topics

join