It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Roleplayers :D Pen and paper etc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I used to roleplay as a younger man and I loved it, I started when I was 12 with D&D and as we grew older our sessions became more mature and we played cyberpunk 2020 and Call of Cthulhu.
The last time I had a gaming group was about 5 years back and I miss it.
It is a great way to socialize and a great way to open up your imagination.
Do the kids still play or has computer games destroyed RPing?
So I'am calling all geeks who used to RP or still do to tell me your RP stories

My fave campaign lasted 5 years (CoC) and my dude was a guy called Charles Hindle Jones a swashbuckling 70 year old who once killed a classroom of Nazi children with a thompson sub machine gun...you should have seen my GM's face when I said I burst in the room and dakka dakka dakka them all
, his sanity roll was so low lol.
So chime in and lets remember the good old days when all we needed was a piece of paper, pencil and a few dice to wind away the summer holidays.
edit on 26-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yep, thought it was too good to be true.

I'll show myself out

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Dude, I'm a purple chiten and have a facebook page dedicate to it

....or am I not roleplaying at all and I really AM a purple chiten..... hmmmmm ...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Me and the missus play doctors and nurses...
Do I qualify??

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I played Dungeons and Dragons when I was in high school.....loved it and dearly miss it.

Anyone interested in starting a game? Perhaps we could get ATS to form a new section dedicated to gaming?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I played Dungeons and Dragons when I was in high school.....loved it and dearly miss it.

Anyone interested in starting a game? Perhaps we could get ATS to form a new section dedicated to gaming?
I'm in. I played old D&D as well as second edition AD&D. There was another game we played but I forget the name. It was set in Seattle and mixed magic and technology. That was a fun game. I played a physical adept, basically a magical ninja.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Was it Gurps?
www.sjgames.com...

Or maybe Rifts?

en.wikipedia.org...(role-playing_game)

I tried that one but Cyberpunk 2020 was more gritty.
I would love to RP over the net but how do we do it?.

Oh I also played Teenage mutant ninja turtles RP was mega fun I had a teenage mutant ninja squirrel called Jeff

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Must admit to never having played one, although in my older years i have turned more "geeky" and think they could be pretty cool.....anyway, i just had to post this....

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

No, it was about the re-emergence of magic into the world but technology still works. I remember now, ShadowRun.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

It really is fun but it still has a bad geek image so many people scoff at the idea.
Oh and the IT crowd

"Are Dragons gay Phil?" funny as #.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Thats the one been trying to search for it but I couldn't remember the name cheers

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Wow, talk about a trip in the way back machine!
I used to play D&D, AD&D as well as White Wolf. You are right, it was a great way to unlock my imagination as well as teach a dork like me some strategy skills. LOL

Even as a woman in the mid 40's I still sometimes miss getting together with friends for game night, although I doubt my circle of friends now would be interested in RPing.

When the old group started to move away to college, we still were able to play over the net on AOL. There was a code you could type into the chat box that would automatically role the die for you. Cannot remember it now, but it was once out there....anyone know what it is? That could possibly be a way to get a group together over the net to play. Don't know if it would work in Skype but there, at least, is a possible idea??

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
GURPS
Cyberpunk
Traveller
Call Of Cuthulu
D&D/AD&D
Boot Hill
Twilight 2000
James Bond-007
Gamma World

Some Superhero game. TSR's Mavel Superheroes (?) I can't remember. I enjoyed all of them and they really help imagination and congnition.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Some Superhero game.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Champions.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Marvel Superheroes
AD+D (for many years)
TMNT
Warhammer (not minis)
GURPS

My mainstay was AD+D. My favorite character was Oxblood the Rabbit Slayer. (Rabbits are some kind of theme for me.)

He was just strong enough to haul around a barrel of pickled fish on his back, which he offered to everyone, all the time. He had fiery red hair and a bandolero of daggers on his chest. He went mad at the sight of rabbits.

Back then, our DM was a lot more into character development rather than just hack and slash.

I joined at 4th Gen D+D group about 6 years ago and it was horrible. The DM was like Santa and the whole night was spent like this
- see a new door
- check the door for traps
- open the door
- kill everything inside without saying a word
- grab the extensive loot
- see another door

I would love to make a new character, but sadly...no group.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Seems to be a common theme, we loved playing but none of us have a group anymore
I even thought about putting an ad in my local paper but I may get a load of weirdos.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I don't have a story for ya... but i've been an avid RPer since i was 15...

Can i make a suggestion?

Theres a game called "Neverwinter Nights"... its an older game, but in its day it was the best roleplaying game ever made... it won 87 awards... and is still loads of fun to this day.

In my opinion it IS the single best game for roleplay ever made... designed specifically for that purpose... To bring the P&P experience to the PC...

You can get it at any walmart... and it comes with Neverwinter 2 which isn't quite as good but the graphix are way better...

And almost 10 years since its release it still has a huge community...

Look for it... buy it...

You won't regret it if you're looking for role play.

S&F

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I do not know why but I woulda put money on you being a roleplayer

Got both of the neverwinter nights games, I can not wait for the next one I think it is a MMO

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

You know it bro!

Im a Dwarf Fo life!!

I've been a roleplayer almost all my life... but i haven't played in quite a while...

Im waitng on NWN 3 as well... I hope they don't bugger it up like they did NWN 2

edit on 26-11-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Seems to be a common theme, we loved playing but none of us have a group anymore
I even thought about putting an ad in my local paper but I may get a load of weirdos.

OMG. Don't do that. You'll end up with nasty LARPers in your front yard. You will not rid yourself of the Funyuns smell for days!

My buddy is always wanting me to play RP over Skype, but I don't think it would be the same if I couldn't see the other players.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join