It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special effects in Cinema, Sometimes less is more, sometimes even more, is not enough.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I ran across this on Youtube.
It's an Indian Movie about a scientist that creates a robot, in his own image, I think,
The title is Indian Robot Endhiran.

Check out the effects. Creative, inventive...But definitely some nods to other Movies.
I'm really not sure how to describe it. But the Clip is really fun to watch.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think we have found the next director of The Terminator here.
Maybe an Arnold VS Akmed Terminator sequel?

I personally think this falls under the category of "too much" on the CGI, but that's me.
I had no idea India was making movies with such advanced effects.

I'm just a narrow minded American.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I agree. I miss the days when all FX was practical(physical) and not digital.

The Uncanny Valley is pretty deep and digital FX is getting closer to reality but we can still tell the difference.

I actually appreciate movies more these days when the special FXs are practical.

Thanks you for posting. S & F.

edit on 11/23/2012 by mcx1942 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
CG can add to the entertainment / fun aspect of a movie but it draws me too far away from the realism to just constantly remind me that I'm watching a screen... I prefer as much practical effects as possible and only using CG when required or if it suits the story..

Some directors write a movie around the effects instead of vice versa..

The last three star wars films wen't overboard on CG and were under the mark on story.. the first three felt far more epic in scale... george had to rely strongly on his story and cast as well as the practical effects capabilities but in the latter three he was able to stuff in as much CG as possible to try to fill in the holes.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Walking Dead uses CG to great effect.. they keep it realistic and only use it to flesh out the practical effects.. blood splatter.. or replicating zombies for broad far away shots to increase their numbers..the rest is practical and gritty... well balanced!
edit on 11/23/2012 by miniatus because: typo fix

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I think we have found the next director of The Terminator here.
Maybe an Arnold VS Akmed Terminator sequel?

I personally think this falls under the category of "too much" on the CGI, but that's me.
I had no idea India was making movies with such advanced effects.

I'm just a narrow minded American.

I didn't know that India was doing this either. You can see that they really stretched the budget. But to be honest, I still got a kick out the ideas that were used.

As far as special effects in General. Look at Avatar for example. Perhaps lacking a bit in the story line. but it was visually stunning. to me anyway. So was the First Jurassic Park, I could hear a collective gasp by the Audience, when the first Dino's showed up on screen.

On the other hand, if the dialog is good, and it draws you into the story, simple shadowing effects can do the trick. Just old style camera tricks.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of something I discovered only last night and got a kick out of it .. this is a labor of love for this guy it seems.. all for practice..

With that said.. it's stunning work..

Hulk vs. Superman, pure CG .. superman was modeled after the Chris Reeve version

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Special effects in Cinema, Sometimes less is more...

In the case of this movie I thought it was cartoonish, obviously CGI and defying the laws of physics in too many obvious ways that forced a "not real" atmosphere to it.
Now, that may be what the director was aiming for, but for me it just draws me OUT of the immersion of the movie story and back to realising its just computer graphic wankery that I'm watching.

"Look at all the cool stuff we can do"

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

In the case of this movie I thought it was cartoonish, obviously CGI and defying the laws of physics in too many obvious ways that forced a "not real" atmosphere to it.
Now, that may be what the director was aiming for, but for me it just draws me OUT of the immersion of the movie story and back to realising its just computer graphic wankery that I'm watching.

Indian cinema is often like that though, they are all about the big and unrealistic effects, even if they are practical effects.. Check out this awesome scene where a guy skids a horse like if it were a motorcycle in the most unrealistic of scenes.. skids and just gets up and keeps going.. plus the other car just manages to jump the truck for no apparent reason

edit on 11/23/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/23/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Oh, I definitely got that feeling out of it too, cartoonish.. One reason might be that the actor (which I read about after posting), plays exaggerated, larger than life characters in many of his movies.
But even in American movies...Even though the explosions look real, we all know that most of the time cars are not obliterated in a flaming mess, just because someone ran a stop sign. Yet we suspend disbelief, because the flames had realism. Or they were actual real flames created by some other fuel, besides Gasoline.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Have you watched the Video Extras on the Walking Dead website?
Good stuff. specific Dummy types, created for Squashing, hacking, shooting, stomping.. and I'm not sure if they were serious about the Strawberry Jam budget..LOL

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I've seen this movie it has the best CGI special effects ive ever seen in an Indian movie..mixture of many scifi movies.
Loved it
heres the full movie for anyone thats interested.

edit on 24-11-2012 by anomalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
1:21 is the best, looks like it all of a sudden switched to Team America (F#ck Yeah), this is so bad it's actually good.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Lacking ideology the thread will be meaningless.
If the story from the movie goes true, shall we put emotion into a robot or say should a robot have empathy?
How do we handle from sentiment to feelings? Does these can be countable like utility in economics?

top topics

join