It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stores Requiring ID, Tracking To Prevent Repeated Returns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsthetooth
reply to post by NickDC202

There is an alternate reason why they do this, its to keep track of theft.

I am sure that keeping theft down, and thus prices for consumers, is a totally unconscionable invasion of everyone's right to theive as much as they want!!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So I have been in retail for quite a while now and this is not new. And it is COMPLETELY necessary. The good news is it is primarily for people without receipts/tags/or any other proof of purchase. Because you wouldn't believe the lengths criminals go through. Damn near all major retailers do it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Some outlets allow the customer to determine the return policy.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

That isn't what the article stated. It said that they are asking for the identification on returns to stop repeat returners from profiting from them at the stores expense.

I'm guessing it might be about those who buy stuff - - wear it - - probably to some special event - - then return it.

Or buy some specialized electronic product - - use it once for some project - - then return it.

It is cheating and unfair to honest consumers - - - who are the real victims - - - when profit loss causes increase in product.

edit on 20-11-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Well hallelujah, I will be saving myself plenty of money as I will definitely will not buy in any place with such policies, hell I am going to have extra money after the holidays and be able to avoid the Christmas blues.

Stores can shove their policies where the sun doesn't shine.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This is news? Every place I shop at requires an ID for returns. It's been that way for years. I don't shop at a lot of the discount places though (except Big Lots).

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Please shop at your local craft and arts markets for Xmas . Stop giving all the power to corperations and bring it back fairly to the people who need your purchase and wont require ID . Your local artist and maker of fine products grown right in your own area .

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It's simple. If you require to violate my privacy to make a purchase, I don't shop at your store. Support local small business.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NickDC202

So in order to purchase items at major US retailers we are being required to show Identification but to vote we are not required to show identification; this is quite bizarre on many levels. I feel that given a adequate window, such as voter ID requirements passed in 2013 would not go into effect until the general election of 2016, so there cannot be any cries of voter disenfranchisement from either side of the political spectrum.

[url=http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/consumerwatch-stores-requiring-id-tracking-to-prevent-repeated-returner/]sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com[/u rl]
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Tue Nov 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

No, clearly you didn't read the article. You are required to show ID to RETURN items, to prevent multiple fraudulent returns. This is a move that all retailers should make. I've seen this at the place I work. These people are only hurting the employees, but they don't care.

See fraudulent returns are normally covered under what is called shrink. Now you want to keep shrink to a certain percentage. Some companies have bonuses for their employees when they can keep shrink low for the quarter or year. If a store is in a high crime area, lots of shrink means less hours for employees and sometimes even less jobs as these retailers try to absorb the losses of fraudulent returns and stolen items.

Next time you (general you, not directed at anyone) think stealing that dvd or other item isn't hurting anyone, think again, it adds up and it doesn't hurt anyone more than the employees who work there.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Wow look at all the responses so far that haven't even read the article, who don't even understand what it's saying but are just going by what the OP has stated. Incredible. Original thought anyone? Reading comprehension anyone? L....O.....L

Unreal.

edit on 21-11-2012 by optimus primal because: though is not thought. silly fingers

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I worked for a large company doing Asset Protection for awhile about 5 years ago and this was SOP for returns without a receipt/credit card.

As others have stated a common practice for the criminal element is to go into a store, snatch something and then return it to the same store for cash. When that fails they can usually get a gift card which can be easily sold.

Here's the fun part. Try not to get too mad. Our camera systems (remember this was awhile ago and realize ours weren't that great) tied into the computer. If I had you're ID, credit card etc. I could look up any transaction you made, pull video at any store and see pretty much anything you bought if it wasn't paid for in cash.

So here's a basic scenario. I was plainclothes security, dressed like anyone else and basically ran around spying on people, apprehending when I caught them stealing. Sometimes someone who rubbed me the wrong way would be standing in the return line. Now I would have seen them come in, new they didn't steal from my location at the time but was suspicious. I would wait, pull up the receipt from their return, check the history (credit cards were tied to gift cards and IDs) and look for a pattern. Someone returning high $ merchandise all the time without a receipt I could flag, send a message to other locations wit pictures/video of their returns (and any purchases) no matter what location or time. These didn't always go somewhere, but many a time we could track down habitual shoplifters with this method.

The store computer also does this on it's own. It tracks customers and returns for Asset Protection, and spits out possible return fraud people. The system was also very VERY good at catching employee theft and there were some tricks up it's sleeve that I'm not going to share because I don't want to help out dirt bags be they employees or shoplifters.

There were a few cases I saw where the computer generated an alert, kicked it over to us in out program, and we got an arrest just by tracing the person back through the store with the cameras after they returned something. And I mean after a few days, when the people had already completed the fraud, and were sitting happy at home believing they got away with it.

It kinda bugs me still when I go shopping. I'm not going to get into what the more advanced stores had at the time, and I wonder how much the tech has advanced since I was slapping cuffs on people.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
My ID got scanned and my name recorded last time I bought some tobacco.
They said it was just in case I forget my ID next time but they could've at least asked first?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Did you read the article thoroughly?

It states that you have to show I.D to RETURN something, not BUY it.

Re-read it again because there are plenty of morons that will take what you said at face value, even if it's incorrect.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Now you need to present an ID to make a return,
but you don't need an ID to vote?

Yes, because returning an ugly sweater is not a constitutionally guaranteed right. Voting is.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
My concern is what else might be happening with that information. If banks can't keep thousands of credit card identities from being stolen from their databases on a regular bases then a store run by minimum wage, part timers certainly can't. And what is their security policy anyway? Who do they have data access agreements with? Who has physical access to the servers? What happens with the hard drive when the computer gets upgraded or otherwise replaced in a few years?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Stupid ass practices like that, are why I shop online whenever possible. I know many people that feel the same way. Stores will eventually write their own death warrants with all the added hassles they keep piling on.

Don't be silly. When you return something you've bought online they have all the same information on you. They have completely tracked the sale to your address and have the whole thing in a database. You can't return something you haven't originally purchased.

In a retail situation, you can. They don't know you from Adam. Asking for ID provides the tracking an online retailer already has about you.

Your gripe reminds me of the kid who is tired of being told what to do by his parents so he announces he has joined the Army.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Not really, ever hear of prepay credit cards and PO boxes?

Besides, not once yet so far have I ever had to return an item online. Never have a problem with being sent a defective item so far. As for stores, I have had to return many many items that ended up being broken or used. Granted I have only been shopping online primarily like 6 years or so, not as long as stores. 6 Years is one hell of a track record though, even the "cheap" stuff I brought from chinese. Only problem I ever had was 95% chance of user fail on an ebook reader I got. It came with the plugs used in china I guess, and bought a universal plug. It got fried.
edit on Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:48:08 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Not really, ever hear of prepay credit cards and PO boxes?

Sure, but that's being rather extreme. I know no one who does that. Besides, we're not talking purchase here; we're talking RETURNS. The fact that you haven't had to return stuff is not the real issue here. Most people don't. Let's see you RETURN something you bought online using a pre-paid credit card and a PO Box, THEN tell us your experience.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
ID's for your plasma tv but not to vote....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Most places online sell extended warranties (kicks in after manufacturer warranty is expired) for a few extra bucks. Like newegg, I usually shop computer parts and accessories there. I would have to pay for shipping back, but it beats paying a few hundred for a brand new part.

As stores are making things more of a hassle, it seems online retailers are making things easier, and tossing in nice extra perks. It keeps up, there will be a breaking point.

I value my privacy, so I do go that extra mile for it. I like being as far off the radar as I can get. Prepay credit cards are sold all over, and PO boxes don't cost very much where I have lived. Here I need a PO box either way, there is no regular mail service in my area. One PO box is free, any additional ones cost 50 a year.
edit on Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:18:22 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join