It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity and Abortion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Although the "Christian Right" is the most vocal and most "loud", they don't speak for all Christians nor are they "Right" in all they do.

They take their viewpoints then try to push them as religious absolutes and that's just not true.

Here is a take on the abortion issue from a different, still Christian, perspective.

www.thechristianleftblog.org...

Many people think that a human being is created at the time of conception but this belief is not supported by the bible. The fact that a living sperm penetrates a living ovum resulting in the formation of a living fetus does not mean that the fetus is a living human being. According to the bible, a fetus is not a living person with a soul until after drawing its first breath.

After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

In Job 33:4, it states: “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

Again, to quote Ezekiel 37:5&6, “Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

*Full article available at the link provided.

They are presently trying to cram down everyone's throat that life begins at conception, that's not really in line with biblical teachings at all. In fact, it would be more of a scientific statement than a religious one. Of course, that group uses whatever may suit their purpose to push their ideas onto others, case in point.

When does life begin? Some say at conceptions, others say when the fetus can successfully live outside the womb, others say at birth (the Bible itself actually says at birth). So, which is it and how to we get people to recognize the truth instead of recognizing whichever voice happes to be the loudest?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
More from the article since many won't click the link

In Exodus 21:22 it states that if a man causes a woman to have a miscarriage, he shall be fined; however, if the woman dies then he will be put to death. It should be apparent from this that the aborted fetus is not considered a living human being since the resulting punishment for the abortion is nothing more than a fine; it is not classified by the bible as a capital offense.

According to the bible, destroying a living fetus does not equate to killing a living human being even though the fetus has the potential of becoming a human being. One can not kill something that has not been born and taken a breath. This means that a stillborn would not be considered a human being either. Of course, every living sperm has the potential of becoming a human being although not one in a million will make it; the rest are aborted. .

God has decreed, for one reason or another, that at least one-third of all pregnancies shall be terminated by a spontaneous abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy and that a number will be terminated after the first trimester. It would appear that God does not have any more regard for the loss of a fetus than he does for the loss of a placenta or a foreskin despite the fact that these were living tissue as the result of conception.

In a number of versions of the bible, one of the commandments in Exodus 20 that was spoken by God to Moses states: “You shall not kill”. According to the Mosaic text, this should read “You shall not murder” since the bible has commandments stating that people shall be put to death for a number of different offenses. Exodus 21:17 states: “Whoever curses his father or mother shall be put to death.” There are other capital offenses in Exodus 21. Of course, the commandment “You shall not kill” is not present in the commandments written by God on the stone tablets. For those who are not familiar with the commandments on the stone tablets that were placed in the Ark of the Covenant, they are enumerated in Exodus 34. The popular ten commandments that are enumerated in Exodus 20 were spoken by God to Moses who then relayed them to his people; they were never written.

There is nothing in the bible to indicate that a fetus is considered to be anything other than living tissue and, according to scripture, it does not become a living being until after it has taken a breath.

Source: "The bible tells us when a fetus becomes a living being," by Dr. Joe Schwartz

Those who say, "If you're a Christian, you have to be against abortion, and therefore you must vote republican," are simply reciting talking points from false teachers.

“She heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors;
They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore;
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes;
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose.”
~ Erik Francis Schrody (Everlast), from the song, “What It’s Like.”

If you don't like abortion, don't have one. But don't judge others who may be in terrible circumstances that you can't possibly understand. Especially when your judgements are based on a politically motivated and questionable interpretation of the Bible (at best).

Additional Observations::

Many cite the scripture Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." God is omnipotent. He has known all of us since before creation. This scripture is irrelevant as it pertains to when a fetus becomes a living being. The same reasoning applies to Psalm 139:13-14.

Numbers 5 describes "the Lord" ordering an abortion. Many argue that this is a misinterpretation. It's clearly stated in verse 22, "May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your wombmiscarries."

Before false teachers turned the issue of reproductive choice into a political football, views on this matter were far less extreme.

In the end, if abortion was such a grievous sin Jesus would have mentioned it. He said nothing.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I am never having an abortion = My choice

Anybody else = Their choice

Pretty simple really.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I am never having an abortion = My choice

Anybody else = Their choice

Pretty simple really.

Ummm I thought you were a guy, guy's don't have abortions anyway ....

But I do agree with you

edit on 11-11-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I have no opinion of when a pregnancy should be determined to be officially classified as "life". My religious point of view is that abortion is bad, however I do not judge those who choose abortion as I am not "in their shoes". I do not know their circumstances, and I support their right to exercise "free will". It is not my place to try to take that choice away from them. However, if someone considering abortion were to ask for my advice, I would tell them that once they have gone through the procedure there is no turning back the hands of time, and that it is possible that the decision will haunt them in the future. Whatever they chose I would still continue to love them, as they are fellow human beings- and none of us are perfect.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Amem, Amen!

The Bible doesn't support the pro-life movement at all! In fact the scriptural instances of God ordering the killing of the unborn is almost too numerous to list. There is abundant proof that God is NOT pro-life.

By the way, (shameful plug coming) feel free to stop my thread here: A Good Biblical Reason for Abortion

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I am a man, and I can't "have an abortion" either.

What I can (and do / did do) is talk it out with my partners FIRST, take proper precautions, and -- in the one case where a woman I was dating did claim to have aborted a child we created together -- choose never to see or sleep with her again. Choice.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Exodus 21 confirms that the Fetus is a 'life.' Further, if men are fighting & accidently hurt a pregnant woman to where she loses her fetus, their life will be required.

Exodus 21:23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

-------------------------------
Life is at the latest when the fetus has blood

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

Well, that's really up for interpretation, isn't it?

If a woman's fruit departs from her due to trauma, what further mischief could we expect? Perhaps, the man's wife bleeding to death?

How likely is it that a 5 month old fetus lives through such an ordeal? How likely is it that a Hebrew judge would determine "a life for a life" and would exact the death penalty because of the expulsion a dead, bloody, undeveloped fetus that never drew breath? Is there such an example we can refer to in the Bible, where the death penalty is exacted for causing a miscarriage? Nope.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Life does begin at conception. Life begins even before conception as there is life in our cells, but the process for creating a new human being has begun at conception and that is biblical. You can hear the baby's heart at to 21 days in and there is life in the blood and power.

People who support abortion are just supporting the new facelift Moloch sacrificial worship obtained, so that women can maintain prosperity and lifestyle. You're not a christian if you support abortion, you're an abomination in the eyes of God because you support the murder of the unborn. People forcing a baby to pay with it's life for the sins of the parent.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

but you see, that is your religious belief. just as you would not want my religious belief pushed on you, nor do i want yours pushed on me. i do not care if you worship the chair i am sitting on, just as long as you do so peacefully!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

And of course you have some clear and concise scripture to back that up, right?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
God gave us freewill, therefore God is a God of choice. Ultimately we are judged by God and not by man.

It is not for us to judge the choices other's make. Only our own actions should come under our scrutiny.

Scripture is read and interpreted by the individual.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm pro-choice (early stage of pregnancy), but a 8.5 month year old fetus is clearly alive. So killing an 8.5 month year old baby as long as he is in womb fluid is moral?

edit on 11-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Life does begin at conception. Life begins even before conception as there is life in our cells, but the process for creating a new human being has begun at conception and that is biblical. You can hear the baby's heart at to 21 days in and there is life in the blood and power.

People who support abortion are just supporting the new facelift Moloch sacrificial worship obtained, so that women can maintain prosperity and lifestyle. You're not a christian if you support abortion, you're an abomination in the eyes of God because you support the murder of the unborn. People forcing a baby to pay with it's life for the sins of the parent.

Two questions. When does the spirit arrive? And is it gods plan to have that spirit experiance a full life or just visit in the womb?

Some lifes are bad to lived even when you are a wanted child. Think about the lifes of people who are truely unwanted. Sometimes I wish the flow of souls was stopped totaly. Humanity is not taking care of the life that is already here. All children deserve a loving parent that have the ability and want to stay by their side to help them evolve. Going back to the blessed ones and playing surrounded by love and caring is probably the best for the souls who cannot have a good life here if they are not sent here to learn. If god wanted things to be different then it would be different. Should you not listen to Jesus and love you enemies instead?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Good one Purple.

As you know I believe the Energy Consciousness (soul) is our natural state - - and eternal.

That the physical body is only a temporary host.

What this article (and you) present fits perfectly with my belief.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Jeremiah 1:5

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."

That's the one that I have been hearing lately.

For less biblical folks, it's in the preamble of the U.S Constitution as well in the use of the term "posterity", or so I've heard.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of POSTERITY
: the offspring of one progenitor to the furthest generation
: all future generations
edit on 11-11-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

That seems to that reaffirms the pre-existence of the soul, possibly reincarnation as well. But I see no suggestion that a fetus is considered a living person.

edit on 11-11-2012 by windword because: grammer

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

That seems to that reaffirms the pre-existence of the soul, possibly reincarnation as well. But I see no suggestion that a fetus is considered a living person.

edit on 11-11-2012 by windword because: grammer

Yeah I thought the same thing, but I've heard the spin on this verse and abortion used in Christian dogma.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Then please give the bible verses that say life begins at conception. Be sure they aren't the ones already debunked by the article in the OP. If, as you say, it's biblical, then you will have no problem in showing that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join