It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope you've prepared - Sandy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

Our area is scarey too because we have massive, 100+ ft. old aging oaks, with 20ft trunks,that are now dying off (from age).One right in my front yard. One came down during Irene, and miraculously, it only took out a wall and a back porch.
edit on 27-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind
My big worry is ice. I know hurricanes dump warm water, but if it's feeding a cold weather storm there's large hail and ice to worry about. IMO, snow would be just as bad, considering that an inch of rain can make 10 inches of snow. But this would be a slushy snow, so less than 10 inches per inch of rain. Heavy wet snow turns into ice pretty easily.

Exactly. And if it is slushy heavy snow, you have to be aware that many roof systems were not designed to take the weight.

So if its warm, and starts snowing, and it keeps snowing and adding up, be aware of the roof your under, and GTF out.

Gymnasiums, flat roofed quansets, anything with a roof pitch of less than 6/12 (6 feet of drop for every 12 feet of length) you need to be cognizant about.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Just a quick reminder to everyone that while you are prepping for this storm, please do not forget to prep for your pets too! Extra food, meds, plastic bags (yes, you may have to poop scoop inside ), kitty litter, etc...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Thank you for the precautionary words. My family are perfectly in the center of the projected path.
Not to fearmonger, but My middle aged instincts are also telling me this may be the storm that does materialize in our area.

may want to add to your helpful list:

a couple of tarps
battery packs
car chargers for phones etc.
maybe even a bottle of liquid courage -highest % (:

Be safe everyone! and please have a plan including relocation shelter

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
the hyped super-storm is just that = all hype =

all Sandy is is a large tropical storm very much like a Pacific ocean Cyclone in size (instead of compact like the usual Atlantic hurricane)

the Arctic front & the west coast fronts are not created from HAARP manipulations... this freaky weather is a result of the chasnging wind patterns/ changing jet streams that is accompanying the 'climate change' variations in the weather...

the causes (of climate-change model) might be cosmic or having a root in the very strange outgassing and vulcanism all over the planet... disturbing the ocean and air currents all over the globe

any convergence into a super-hyper=mega storm is just exaggeration and not very well considered...'

these big forces in nature tend to avoid one another by the force of the leading edge that disrupts the other weather front

so, it will likely happen that the west coast weather front will descend into the Gulf
the arctic front will likely push Sandy off the East Coast
and all three weather forces will tend to dispell each other ---not combine into a storm-A-geddon

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm not in the path, but I just wanted to wish everyone be well and safe. I'm sure it's been said before but please look out for your elderly relatives and neighbours and your pets.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Also...please don't forget to have extra food and supplies for your pets.

All you east coast people are in my prayers. I want you to be ready and safe.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hope it isn't as bad as they are saying..

Tbe cold front that will merge with the storm is a strong one. Here in Texas we had temperatures in the 80's on Thursday, by Friday night it was 35 degrees. Hope you guys are prepared.

Good luck and stay safe!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I know everybody gets tired of seeing lists but for our friends who haven't been through the hurricane scenario here it is again.

Remember ,with lower category hurricanes, wind and rain aren't the big problem for the most part.
Flooding and failure to prepare for no water or power is the primary issue in the aftermath of a low power hurricane.

Stuff to do/ get

Water. Minimum one gallon per person per day just for drinking.
Plain bleach will purify water at 3-5 drops per quart it is safe but no bleach with colorsafe, dyes or smells added.
3 drops for clear and up to five drops for cloudy after filtering.

Canned and pre-cooked foods. TWO WEEKS OF CANNED FOOD PER PERSON is not an unreasonable number. Get stuff you won't mind eating cold, right out of the can.
(pet food too)

Lights, batteries
Candles, matches.
Alternative cooking sources like a grill, gas, charcoal, wood

Duct tape!

TAMPONS- believe me gentlemen, you don't want your wife to be out of those during n extended non electricity situation.

Other toiletries
hand sanitizer -I perfer soap and water but if the water's cut off or contaminated it's good to have
prescriptions
gas -fill up those cars
gas -fill up those cans if you have them,

Gas stations took 4 days to open after Ike and I'm over a hundred miles from the coast. Some places can take a week or more. Electricity took a week and a half as well.

Have something to pass the time that doesn't require technology. Books, puzzles, board games, birth control..

Some big blue tarps or a wide roll of plastic is always good to have in case of emergencies.

Chain saw serviced, sharpened and fuel/oil
don't mix that oil in the fuel yet. You might need that extra gallon to get your car to the gas station if your generator running neighbors siphon your fuel tank in the wee hours of the morning. It happens a lot when there is no other fuel source.

Gloves, gloves, gloves
Hammer, nails (how are you going to charge all of those cordless tools with no power?

As AuntB said, Take care of your family, friends or neighbors who may be invalid or elderly before the storm hits.

GET CASH NOW. ATM's are not operated on batteries.

Make sure your INSURANCE is up to date and paid. Not kidding here. Lots of folks find out too late that the insurance lapsed just "a few days" before the disaster struck.

Be safe.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
the hyped super-storm is just that = all hype =

all Sandy is is a large tropical storm very much like a Pacific ocean Cyclone in size (instead of compact like the usual Atlantic hurricane)

the Arctic front & the west coast fronts are not created from HAARP manipulations... this freaky weather is a result of the chasnging wind patterns/ changing jet streams that is accompanying the 'climate change' variations in the weather...

the causes (of climate-change model) might be cosmic or having a root in the very strange outgassing and vulcanism all over the planet... disturbing the ocean and air currents all over the globe

any convergence into a super-hyper=mega storm is just exaggeration and not very well considered...'

these big forces in nature tend to avoid one another by the force of the leading edge that disrupts the other weather front

so, it will likely happen that the west coast weather front will descend into the Gulf
the arctic front will likely push Sandy off the East Coast
and all three weather forces will tend to dispell each other ---not combine into a storm-A-geddon

Well there you go peopleoids, you heard it from a NOA accredited weather forecaster, probably the head of the weather network.

Nothing to worry about with this one, ignore it and go about your business.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This will be interesting.

Every time there's a story about a storm people here start predicting the worst, then nothing happen and it's all forgotten until the next storm, rinse and repeat.

I'm sure you'll all be fine. There probably won't be massive blackouts, flooding or riots... just as there haven't really been any major incidents like that as a result of any other recent storm either!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
For those of us not in the path of this storm, keep in mind that if it is as bad as they are predicting, it may become difficult and/or very expensive for us to get gasoline or propane as supplies are diverted to the Northeast.

For those in the path, prepare as much as you can and keep your heads down.
edit on 27-10-2012 by Doc Gator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Gator

Not only that, this will affect many major travel hubs, train, and plane.

You are going to have Philadelphia, DC, NYC, Boston, all in the path of this thing. If you are traveling in the next week, you might want to make other plans.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

OMG you people get on my nerves. Not affected? Don't get on the thread.

There was massive blackouts with the derecho, FEMA had a record breaking year with a dozen storms with over a billion dollars in damage each.

yes, the weather has been crappy. Accept it.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Not a worry for me anymore. I don't go anywhere that I can't get to by car.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
and OMG my joints are aching...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

You forgot Tequilla, salt and limes in tht list

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
they keep saying there will be power outages, not that it's a possibility or might happen, but reporting to expect it.

the storm is about half the size of the u.s. and it looks like something out of an end of the world movie.

and yet the news media downplays it.

ya, nothing to worry about here.

edit on 27-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Seems someone is taking it seriously.
7 states have declared states of emergency.

Here is the latest predicted track.

www.weather.com...

She is going to be around a few days ,and it will cover a huge area.

Stay safe!
edit on 27-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Of ALL the items you listed for survival....you forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT item...and that is....

TOILET PAPER

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join