It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where should new archaeological research be directed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'd like to gather peoples ideas on where they think archaeological research should be directed at. To make it simpler could we use geographic designations instead of general terms like 'Atlantis', Mu, etc, or a specific subject, decipher Rongorongo, etc

My own list

Decipherment of Linear A, Proto-Elamite and Harappa (non-geographical)

Intensive work in the Zagros mountains and the 'fringes' of the fertile crescent

Balkans looking at the 70,000-10,000 year range

SW China

Continuing Solheim's work in SE Asia

Amazon/foot hills of the Andes

Central India

Underwater archaeology in the Eastern Med

Nile Delta

Mesopotamia

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Saint Helena I found a few interesting things here on ATS
edit on 22-10-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I would like to see more exploration done just off the shorelines of our world's oceans. There's a lot of ancient history waiting to be discovered underneath the water. Over the years we've begun to understand how ancient civilizations often sprung up around the shorelines, and as the water tables rose, they would move inland.

There's no telling what may be uncovered one day beneath the waters of our world.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

id say the polar regions, since the ice is receding more than usual we should have access to land that we previously had no access to

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I would like to see more digging around in Antarctica.

I would bet there is all kinds of neat stuff down there just waiting to be rediscovered.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

1- greater exploration of coastlines in search of antedeluvian cities like dwarka etc.

2- a closer examination of The Heliolithic Culture of Brunet Peoples which has been mostly coo-opted by aryan/caucasians nowadays, to the point that the former are rarely if ever mentioned anymore, except for the prevalent claim by northern [nordic] europeans that southern europeans are "lazy and shiftless". [hmmm, where have i heard that one before?].

3- more looking into ancient america, i keep seeing a lot of propaganda/disinfo claiming the natives were invaders themselves[ post facto justification for european invasion and genocide] often based on the discovery of ISOLATED individual bodies of non-american visitors and no evidence of entire cultures, more work will put a stop to that nonsense.

4-improvement and increased use of ground penetrating radar, satellite imaging, and similar tech, this will save money on unnecessary digging and cases where locals may resist digging up their ancestors for whatever reasons; this way everyone wins to an extant.

just my 4 cents

edit on 22-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Off the East Coast of the US, down into Cuba, and through the Gulf of Mexico.

You can see that there was a HUGE expanse of land that was exposed in the time of humanities presence on Earth. It makes Doggerland look like Rhode Island. Now it is all submerged.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I would like to see more exploration done just off the shorelines of our world's oceans. There's a lot of ancient history waiting to be discovered underneath the water. Over the years we've begun to understand how ancient civilizations often sprung up around the shorelines, and as the water tables rose, they would move inland.

There's no telling what may be uncovered one day beneath the waters of our world.

Yeah lots more to find, one thing civilizations didn't show up on the shore lines they seemed to have started along rivers. Unfortunately underwater archaeology is hideously expensive, hopefully the new robotic cameras and instruments will lower this cost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reply to post by watchitburn

I would bet there is all kinds of neat stuff down there just waiting to be rediscovered.

Tough place to dig but paleontology is very interested in that place
edit on 22/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i]reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

1- greater exploration of coastlines in search of antedeluvian cities like dwarka etc.

I think everyone agree on more coastal exploration - cost and difficulty will limit this for some time

I'll cover your other comments later

edit on 22/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

I agree with you on that ,isyeye.

Although more difficult and costly,I think it would be worth while.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Abydos, and south west Egypt

its the oldest and most relevant to all later civilistaions

peace

to add...looking at your list...it irritates me that you picked the nile delta...what is it you "want" to find there?...wouldnt the valley be a more better, older, wealthier place to look
edit on 22-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The Grand Canyon seems to be a great magnet for resources.

The great rivers of the world had different paths in the past. Researching those areas would be good. As well as the Amazon River shores.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Like many others, I am fascinated by the exploration of our shores and in areas which are seas now but which were land in the the ancient past. In particular, the potential discovery of a city off the coast of Dvwarka (sp?), India, and reports of pyramids in the waters surrounding Cuba. These sites, along with the Mediterranean and SE Asia, all seem to be particularly promising for amazing discoveries.

I would love to see Khufu's (or whoever made it) pyramid fully understood structurally (like the shafts and sub-ground-level tunnels and potentially cave system).

I would love to see more exploration of Bolivia and the area of Puma Punku and Tiawanako.

And, I would love to see more research on the La Mana artifacts.

But those are all less mainstream topics. Some things which I think might actually happen are the deciphering of the Indus Valley Script and other extremely early scripts, or at least a mapping of languages/writing styles throughout the very ancient past.

Possible would be excavations of the poles.

There are civilizations buried in this sphere which have not even been imagined in millenia. Blows my mind.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
My money is on deep within the amazon, there is something there i'm sure of it

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
Abydos, and south west Egypt

its the oldest and most relevant to all later civilistaions

peace

to add...looking at your list...it irritates me that you picked the nile delta...what is it you "want" to find there?...wouldnt the valley be a more better, older, wealthier place to look
edit on 22-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

Why would that irritate you? Because its the best watered (lovely place by the way) and due to the deposits anything there is nicely protected from looting as you have to go down 15 meters and need pumps to keep water level down.

There you might find intact neolithic villages

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

neolithic...in the delta....?

it was a trade post from about 4000 bc.....you wont find any neolithic remains of a civilisation,

the civilisation in abydos however is over 1000 years older than the delta....
over 100 times wealthier...and lots still hidden

peace

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Off the south coast of the faroes islands, in search for Hy Brazil, Tir na nog, Thule...whatever you want to call it.

Also these pyramids in China lol like the Chinese government will allow that! ( actually that area is outside the historical borders of china and wouldn't have been considered as part of china)

Madagascar

edit on 23-10-2012 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by Hanslune

neolithic...in the delta....?

it was a trade post from about 4000 bc.....you wont find any neolithic remains of a civilisation,

the civilisation in abydos however is over 1000 years older than the delta....
over 100 times wealthier...and lots still hidden

...and you know this how? The sites of Tell el-Balamun, Bubastis, Buto, Athribis, Qantir, Tanis, and Sais have already been found.

Specifically the neolithic sites of Merimda Beni Salama and El-Omari shint that the delta contains Neolithic sites too

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
According to tradition Sais in the Nile delta is where Osiris was buried also according to tradition Sais and pre flood Athens (athens was destroyed by flood and had to be rebuilt) was founded by the same civilization!

Herodotus wrote that Sais is where the grave of Osiris was located

Sais is the city in which Solon (Solon visited Egypt in 590 B.C.) receives the story of Atlantis, its military aggression against Greece and Egypt, its eventual defeat and destruction by natural catastrophe, from an Egyptian priest. Plato also notes the city as the birthplace of the pharaoh Amasis II.

Diodorus recounts that Athena built Sais before the deluge that supposedly destroyed Athens and Atlantis. While all Greek cities were destroyed during that cataclysm, the Egyptian cities including Sais survived

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 23-10-2012 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS
According to tradition Sais in the Nile delta is where Osiris was buried also according to tradition Sais and pre flood Athens (athens was destroyed by flood and had to be rebuilt) was founded by the same civilization!

'Pre-flood' Athens? Which literature based flood you talking about the Deucalion, Dardanus or Ogyges?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Agreed.

95% of the worlds oceans remain unexplored... Don't quote me on that but I'm sure I heard it somewhere...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join