It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid Suspended, Interrogated by Cop For Healthy Kombucha Drink In Lunch Box

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by jude11

Drinking kombucha tea may also cause adverse side effects, due to its high caffeine and sugar content, as well as its acidity and alcohol levels. In 2010, some vendors removed raw kombucha from their shelves due to alcohol content, which exceeded the limit for non-alcoholic labeling. Adverse side effects caused by kombucha tea consumption may include stomach problems, yeast infection, allergic reaction and nausea. As noted by the American Cancer Society, these reactions are especially dangerous for individuals with suppressed immunity, like cancer and AIDS patients.

According to the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, cases of contamination with anthrax and aspergillus have been linked to kombucha tea. When brewed in a ceramic pot, kombucha tea may also contain lead and cause lead poisoning.

Let's give it to our kids! Some health nuts are just plain nuts. Seriously OP find something better to get mad about.

Link

Ah the government and academic cults have labeled it dangerous so that's pretty good evidence that it is most likely good for you and may even be a super food....

Yeah I am sure it could cause stomach problems as it cleanses out the crap from your GMO laden diet...
edit on 13-10-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Saw this stuff at a local liquor store the other day. Sticker on the case said must be 18 to purchase it. I've never tried it so I can't make any personal claims about it.

That said, unlikely he would have drawn any attention to his ingestion of it just by drinking it, rather by himself flaunting that it has .5 percent alcohol in it, or his buddy saw that and went hog wild with it. Either way, school really overreacted.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I've gone over the article three times and since I'm not accustomed to crap blogs, was unable to find a single link to corroborate this story. Is there one? Nothing that I could click would show me something credible.

Link to a REAL news source? Completely admit I'm drunk off Kombucha, but I can't find anything even after Googling that doesn't link back to something on a site called 'activist post'.

I know I'm doing something wrong here, so help me out. Can you please give me the direct link to the source? I know nobody is dumb enough to just post an article like that without facts being presented. I however am dumb enough to not find them.

You always seem so mad when people disagree with you Jude. It's OK. We don't all have to agree.

Oh wait, healthy home economist blog, let me look there. My bad.

edit on 13-10-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think it is time for a certain school system to offer a several million dollar settlement, and a certain police officer to pay a few grand, and a police department to pay at least a couple million.

Hopefully bankrupting all of the above, and requiring a serious rethink of their current strategies.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
OK, so here is something credible. Link

Do better. Im gonna let you finish, but I bet the school is right.

Establishment is smarter than conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

The article also references police involvement. The Newport Beach Police Department provides two full- time School Resource Officers who work with our Newport Beach and Corona del Mar campuses. Police were not called in specifically for this incident. The SRO was already on campus and participated in a routine discovery process. All this being said, the incident itself and the perception of how it was handled is something the District is committed to correcting. School districts implement policies and procedures to ensure consistency of practice. For most circumstances, the practices work. However, this was a new situation. Seeing the need to review some of the practices regarding policies and procedures regarding discipline, the Newport-Mesa Unified School District Board of Education has requested the Superintendent to research programs that would emphasize a more nurturing approach to the discovery process and avoid overly aggressive practices when dealing with the discipline process.

OP did YOU get this far? Seems like a complete non story.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Yeah I am sure it could cause stomach problems as it cleanses out the crap from your GMO laden diet...

You shouldn't have crap in your stomach. That sounds like a problem that should be looked into by the medical professionals that you despise but will end up saving you at some point.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Let me wrap this up for the lazy OP and other members. Kid brings drink to school. It has alcohol. Kid brags. Peers inform staff. Staff brings kid into office with CAMPUS POLICE OFFICER. Kid's Mom whines to a BS blog and idiots the world over believe her.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

This was discussed in earlier posts in this thread.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
i agree, i posted numerous links in my reply.you agree with me.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

I know I starred your post. I am this boy and my parents give me this dink at night to help me sleep.

Oh OP found it too. Well Jude here is my butt, ()(). Spank it. I made an ass of myself and for prosteriority will not edit a damn thing. I was an ass.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Hah ok, that explains the above.
I was thinking... whoa... posting in overdrive.
You gave me a laugh

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I've gone over the article three times and since I'm not accustomed to crap blogs, was unable to find a single link to corroborate this story. Is there one? Nothing that I could click would show me something credible.

Link to a REAL news source? Completely admit I'm drunk off Kombucha, but I can't find anything even after Googling that doesn't link back to something on a site called 'activist post'.

I know I'm doing something wrong here, so help me out. Can you please give me the direct link to the source? I know nobody is dumb enough to just post an article like that without facts being presented. I however am dumb enough to not find them.

You always seem so mad when people disagree with you Jude. It's OK. We don't all have to agree.

Oh wait, healthy home economist blog, let me look there. My bad.

3 pages of google results so far and you want a MSM source? Nothing is real until it's on CNN I guess.

I guess the others reporting are all wrong and the release by the school is just not fact enough that it happened.
web.nmusd.us...

If you really want to focus on the alcohol thing while I was focusing on the detention and questioning of a minor with the parents present that's your choice I guess.

But if you want to address the actual issue, I'll be glad to keep pointing out how wrong it is. Unless you have kids this age in school and you are ok with it. In which case I can't do anything about that.

If people disagree with me, that's one thing. If people choose to steer the issue in a different direction...well let's just say it makes more people than myself angry.

Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I think that we can blame a few things for my complete dumbassery here.

1.) Red Bull

2.) Vodka

3.) Iphone posting

4.) General douchebaggery

5.) Domo bored and argumentative

I realize that was more than a few. There are more... My position still stands even though I look (appropriately) like a huge idiot. I don't think this is some sort of Uh Oh moment for us. I think the school went overboard, and that people getting at all upset (*ahem*) did too.

I think my lunacy in this thread should be stickied or at least presented to new members on what not to do.

OK I'm going to report myself for off topic. I really messed this whole thing up and don't want to take away from Jude's thread. Now that I'm back on the laptop I can actually get that done I hope.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I think that we can blame a few things for my complete dumbassery here.

1.) Red Bull

2.) Vodka

3.) Iphone posting

4.) General douchebaggery

5.) Domo bored and argumentative

I realize that was more than a few. There are more... My position still stands even though I look (appropriately) like a huge idiot. I don't think this is some sort of Uh Oh moment for us. I think the school went overboard, and that people getting at all upset (*ahem*) did too.

I think my lunacy in this thread should be stickied or at least presented to new members on what not to do.

OK I'm going to report myself for off topic. I really messed this whole thing up and don't want to take away from Jude's thread. Now that I'm back on the laptop I can actually get that done I hope.

Domo1:

For that I thank you and raise a glass as well. My JD intake is a little questionable at the moment.

Maybe we can both kick eachother's asses in the morning?

Peace

edit on 13-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't think that's really fare... fair? WOW. I think the appropriate thing to do is flog me with a pillow or something fluffy. Maybe Beezzer. If you are ever near Seattle you get a steak dinner for you and family.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I don't think that's really fare... fair? WOW. I think the appropriate thing to do is flog me with a pillow or something fluffy. Maybe Beezzer. If you are ever near Seattle you get a steak dinner for you and family.

I'd love to beat anyone with Beezzer! Great idea.

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So no tolerance is no tolerance, and i can get behind that. We dont want some kid showing up with a 6-pack of o'doules.

The question is, if no tolerance means the only acceptable alcohol limit is 0.0%, then this school needs to get busy banning anything above 0.0% This includes anything made with vanilla extract, dijon mustard, yogurt, sweet pickles, coke and pepsi.

While none of these products is going to get even the most lightweight person buzzed, they do, or could technically have alcohol in them.

So, where is the line? Is the school going by the FDA's opinion on what is considered a "non-alcoholic" item, or is it truly a zero tolerance?

Fact is, this kid brought tea to school and the administration treated it like he brought whiskey. Huge over-reaction in my opinion.
edit on 10/14/2012 by xDeadcowx because: typo

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

This includes anything made with vanilla extract, dijon mustard, yogurt, sweet pickles, coke and pepsi.

If I mix these together in some sort of awful sober state I'm totally suing you when it goes wrong. Don't give me ideas.

I'm not a fan of zero tolerance policies. Remember the kid that was told signing his name was a violation because it looked like guns? Ridiculous. That being said, without a zero tolerance policy you have to justify every single thing you do. So a kid draws a gun, makes a paper gun. Seems harmless. Step up from that kid makes a realistic cardboard gun, step up from that kid brings a plastic gun that looks real. I get zero tolerance and for the time being in this litigious society I understand why schools have to be so nutty. It's not the schools fault, it's OUR fault.

So the drink has a miniscule amount of alcohol. Fine. If that student shared it with another the parents could sue for untold millions.

We like to blame the government and institutions but at the end of the day I think it's the rest of us that are to blame. I see it all the time on ATS. Hell didn't someone in this thread suggest the parents sue? I know they did because I responded to it.

I would love it if things were done on a case by case basis. When I was in elementary school I accidentally brought a knife to school. I didn't mean to, but someone told the teacher when they saw it in my bag. I had to go to the principals office. We talked for two minutes, she handed it back to me and said 'just don't show anyone' and there was no issue. Now imagine if I had gone on a 3rd grade killing spree... Principal sued, teacher sued, everyone sued... Things have changed. I went to a private school and in the 4th grade me and two friends did a project on shotguns. We brought expended shells, one guys brother cut a few up so we could show the internals and the teacher thought it was great. A. Now? Jail.

Don't blame the school or the cops, blame society. Blame every jackass that sues for something they shouldn't. I own a rental house and have a 5 million dollar policy that I still feel isn't enough even though the renter is someone I trust.

I get why the school did this. I think it's the opposite of govt. oppression, I think it's protecting the rest of the taxpayers from jackass sue happy parents.

Also I want to try the drink now. Does it taste good? I finally forgave Odwalla.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join