It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police union in Philly, holds fundraiser for officer who punched a woman in the face.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Perhaps his firing has to do in part to the 13 other complaints this cop has had against him in the past for physical and verbal abuse to others. How many times does he have to abuse someone before they decide enough is enough and fire him??? Maybe if he only had one, two, three, six, or nine complaints against him he could have kept his job, but 13? For him, it turns out that 13 is a very unlucky number indeed.

Even if a couple or few of those complaints were unfounded, the rest as well as the latest incident were just too much. If he wanted to keep his career, pension, etc. he should have been a good example to others. But as it stands, he was nothing more than a bully who's mean spirit finally caught up to him. He should be grateful if he doesn't get charged with assault on the Lady.

edit on 10/12/2012 by Inconceivable because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/12/2012 by Inconceivable because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So what you're saying here, in a nutshell, is if a person gets pissed off and cracks someone in the face it should be okay. Like the young kid who gets picked on, punches the bully in the mouth and gets a felony battery charge? Because he never did anything wrong before, those charges shouldnt follow him the rest of his life. Sounds like a winner.
Now, what about the victim? A busted lip, bruises, a sore neck from getting sucker punched should be overlooked. What about the trust she has now lost for the police? The fact that she will be forever on the internet being punched in the face?
The cop should be not only fired, but arrested and charged with malicious assault with bodily injury. A FELONY. Just like anyone else would of been.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 369821

The cop should be not only fired, but arrested and charged with malicious assault with bodily injury. A FELONY. Just like anyone else would of been.
In england that charge is serious. A.B.H Actuall Bodily Harm.
It can carry a two year sentance .This cop should thank his lucky stars he is not inside prison
picking up soap..

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

here in PA we call it Philthydelphia for a reason amigo but i'm sure you can see this kind of behavior in any town these days.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

People lose their -jobs- every day for bad behavior. People do not lose their CAREERS every day for bad behavior.

They do when they're no longer fit to serve

To Protect and to Serve...it's not just a job Wrabbit

There are a lot of good cops out there

The bad cops deserve to be treated like criminals when they behave like criminals - even more so because they're in a position of authority. If they can't handle the stresses of the job without assaulting citizens they no longer deserve to be in that position - their career should be over

Sometimes the system works, sometimes it doesn't:
Denver Diner case cops Ricky Nixon and Kevin Devine given return-to-work go-ahead, city livid

Citizens should be able to trust their police officers - the police department should keep their own house clean

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Their job is to uphold the law, maintain law and order and arrest people who break the law. There's no defending cops who break the law. This particular cop committed battery assault on a woman half his size... it doesn't matter if she's okay, he broke the law... he should be on trial for assault and his career as a law enforcer ended with a boot up his ass!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

People lose their -jobs- every day for bad behavior. People do not lose their CAREERS every day for bad behavior.

They do when they're no longer fit to serve

To Protect and to Serve...it's not just a job Wrabbit

There are a lot of good cops out there

The bad cops deserve to be treated like criminals when they behave like criminals - even more so because they're in a position of authority. If they can't handle the stresses of the job without assaulting citizens they no longer deserve to be in that position - their career should be over

Sometimes the system works, sometimes it doesn't:
Denver Diner case cops Ricky Nixon and Kevin Devine given return-to-work go-ahead, city livid

Citizens should be able to trust their police officers - the police department should keep their own house clean

That's true, there are decent police out there and something like this makes their job so much harder. More than that, policing is so fragmented that this guy could potentially be hired in another force, or even rehired in his current force. That's why it is important that this guy ends up in a courtroom to ascertain the fullness of the facts under the law, it's just not enough to do a sacking. But it would be up to the woman to take it that far. As far as I'm concerned, she did nothing in the video to be attacked, and from behind, and was walking away.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Lose your temper, lose your career. Hell of a trade off for a bruise or a busted lip..whatever she ended up with.

So... A cop could, in theory, work their whole lives in decent standing, given the ups and downs of one of the worst jobs society has to offer a person. Then...in a moment of stupidity..they can lose every shred of that life's career, pension and everything.....because they hit a person once in the face?

Yep,

If I punched a customer in the face, I guarantee my career of 14 years would end in a heartbeat.

Welcome to the real world.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Lose your temper, lose your career. Hell of a trade off for a bruise or a busted lip..whatever she ended up with.

It's a bad message for the Union to be quite so open without some equally open reasoning....but wow.

So... A cop could, in theory, work their whole lives in decent standing, given the ups and downs of one of the worst jobs society has to offer a person. Then...in a moment of stupidity..they can lose every shred of that life's career, pension and everything.....because they hit a person once in the face?

Okay....and the next time people wonder why only Bubba level thugs, bully boys and attitude problems generally become cops these days, look no further for why. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind enter a career where 10 or 15 years work can be lost for half a seconds stupid with NO SERIOUS injury or damage done as a result of it?

Ugh.... Yup.. makes perfect sense to me now why we don't have good cops. It's a fools game to even try.

You said it yourself Wrabbit, "Or whatever she ended up with" you don't actually care about the woman with a statement like that. More importantly, because she was there, is the unspoken inference that makes her fair game for being attacked, and it is debatable that there was the, "once" hit, and it was a woman, BTW. This policeman is a big loser in more ways than one. I do have some sympathy from the union point of view, if the money is solely for his family wellbeing, if he has one. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Your post is all encompassing assumption.

As I've said before....several times....I grew up in a Law Enforcement household. I grew up with as many cops for friends as I did schoolmates. It gives me a very different view on things.

You say brutality.. Okay... If hitting a woman in the face, once, with a bare hand is brutality and not simply terminally bad judgement and temper.....then I'd like to know what you call Rodney King or a hundred others...who didn't have a bruise or a fat lip, but LIFE CHANGING injury after their encournter with 1 or more bad cops.

Degree...measure...graduated levels of response. These are important things and mean something anywhere else. Apparently with a political hack like Nutter, there IS no graduated levels of response to misconduct. I hope people remember that if the good Mayor has so much as a traffic ticket unpaid in his past. After all, that would be an ethical violation and we see NO gray areas, right? Ethics are ethics. Fired, prosecuted and at least 30 days in the can for a ticket. Yes, indeed....Now I kinda hope he DOES have something in HIS OWN past showing bad judgement....seeng as how totally unforgiving HE feels free about being.

So where is the line? Are cops to be fired on the spot...their careers destroyed....and to hell with their families...over a slap? How about profanity? If someone feels traumatized by verbal abuse...should that have their pension pulled too? NO INJURY OCCURRED HERE. So where is the destruction of the man's life warranted for it?

Some would destroy this cop for an incident without an injury....I'd save that level of action for cases where misconduct by a cop at least seriously injured the person. Discretion in taking action for bad behavior isn't something ignorant or outdated, it's a logical approach and it's logical for you and me as much as a cop on duty.

To you, why is this cop an exception? Seriously, why is he an exception. Plenty of people make honest mistakes every day that, because a "law" happens to be broken (regardless of severity) and the legal systems pursues said mistake with utmost zeal, ruins their lives, or sets them back to point where recovery is hard, etc.

To you, why is this cop an exception to the rules, why is he not held to the same--or higher standards (being an officer of the law)--and why should he be given a pass or a lighter consequence?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
As a resident I can only shake my head. My nephew had a recent run in with philly's "finest". He is now in the hospital. They beat him so badly that he may lose sight in his left eye. Their reasoning..they thought he had a gun. This was a teenage kid...no gun...150lbs soaking wet. He wasnt arrested....just beaten and left to bleed to death on the curb. My brother in law has hired a lawyer and I hope he gets rich off those f***in bullies.

I havent seen a policeman as a "friend" since I was a kid and those officers were coming into our class for those weekly propaganda sessions also known as the D.A.R.E. program. I've had too many opportunities to see them for what they REALLY are. From brutality to outright perversion......its sickening what people will often become once they are given a little bit of authority. And while I know that not all cops are like that...
...the number of rotten ones seems to tip the scales in their favor these days.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have seen way worse then that, that really isn't anything.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Yes.

Attacking someone is not only a reason for dismissal but its against the law... ESPECIALLY if its a cop. He should be in prison.

Unless of-course the victim is you, or your mom, sister, daughter, wife, girlfriend or some other female member of your family.

In which case its not only perfectly acceptable, its commendable. You could thank the cop, shake his hand, even present him with an award.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

What a retarded reasoning ...

Nobody forced this cop to take this job ... it's something that he sought out to do. When he did, he selected to serve the public. That's what his job title is ... the public is his employer, and he serves them. He's requirements, is to be an examplary of good behaviour ... intend ... to have honor, and show honor and to honor.

If you go out there, and punch your employer in the face ... how long do you expect to keep your job? You'll most likely get a couple of security officers, throw you out on the streets, and you'd lose all your benefits.

The same should apply to this cop and any other cop, that is guilty of the crime of abusing the ones he is to protect.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Originally posted by 369821

In england that charge is serious. A.B.H Actuall Bodily Harm.
It can carry a two year sentance .This cop should thank his lucky stars he is not inside prison
picking up soap..

A guy like that would probably be looking for someone to drop the soap.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

It wasn't a "moment of stupidity", it was a big jerk in uniform, who punched an innocent woman in the face because he got splashed with a little bit of water.

He obviously has a problem with anger and violence, and no longer deserves to wear the badge and gun. Period.

Any public servant in any capacity (and I was one for many years) has to keep their cool, no matter what. If you can no longer do that, time to pack it in and find another occupation.

Police brutatlity isn't stupidity, it is abuse of power, and it has to stop. It is the fault of the police departments in this country that they have a limit of an IQ of 105. Anybody smarter than that is automatically disqualified.

If they would hire people who had a bit more intelligence, perhaps we wouldn't be seeing stories such as this.

Plenty of posters have expressed dismay that you espouse such an argument, so I'll save you the trouble of reading one more.

Are you serious? Do they really have an IQ limit of 105?

Where did this statistic come from, if you don't mind?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

since the utterance of mere words can/does warrant a firing, illegal actions sure should too.
assault is assault as is verbal assault ... see here ...

www.huffingtonpost.com...
A Wisconsin school bus driver has been fired after reportedly telling a 12-year-old boy he should have been aborted because his family supports Mitt Romney.
so, what would have been an appropriate punishment vs firing in this case ??

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla

yes, they do and it's been decreasing for the last 20yrs or so.
while the top end (105) varies from state to state, dept to dept ... it still exists and there is no "low end".
so long as you don't score above the 'top end' for that dept, you'd be one step closer.
if this is news for you, you might find these tidbits helpful also ... www.businessinsider.com...

"When hiring for some US police departments, there is a maximum IQ allowed for hiring new police officers (and no minimum, to boot). The really scary part? The max number is only in the 120's."

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I think this needs to happen more often, that would send a strong message to all the other police to think twice before abusing someone. When police officers do NOTHING to rid their own ranks of corrupt/abusive officers, i have no pity when one of gets fired like this.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just a last note on this here.... I left a day or two to get away from the nonsense here as a result of THIS thread. The liberal extremism can be entirely too much here sometimes...and this Cop-Bash party was too damn much for once.

Cops KILL people and get less than Nutter has throw at this cop, with this speed and viciousness. Cops do a hell of a lot more than he did, daily, and get far less than an outright pink slip and thrown out the door.

Once again, to be clear... my anger and the cold blooded vicious nature of some people around here isn't focused on how some would hang a man for being a Police Officer and striking a woman with a bare hand, one time.

It's that people here would, without a second's thought, see his family destroyed too. Uttrely destyroyed. In this economy and PA in particular, that IS what is being "Decided" by the 'ATS Star Chamber' of liberal jugdes.

The Cop smacked her one...and so his life accomplishments should be foefeit. His Family's support should be forfeit and everything he ever worked for should be trashed, forgotten and destroyed.

Why? Because one protester got smacked. As I noted,.I have lost *ALL* respect for a couple people here as a direct result of what was said on this thread...Other? Just confirmed how low class I already figured they were. No names.. no need.

One other thing...to the person who called me a "Shill for the police" THAT Ignorant statement takes the cake for it .A Shill would be someone who HID THEIR LOYALTY ISSUES. I'm 100% WIDE OPEN about the fact I respect Police when they earn the respect and I RARELY EVER give a scumbag the benefit of the doubt. Ever.

Some people see *ALL* cops and *ALL* Soldiers as evil, weak minded, stupid and/or monsters. Well...Indeed.. Everyone has the right to their opinion. In my opinion, some people holding that one are too ignorant to be out sharing such brain farts. .........and I hope the next time THEY CALL 911 can get a bastard with an attitude..they remember THIS CASE and what it showed to decent people looking to become cops.

Why the hell should ANYONE decent or skilled become a cop? One moment..ONE MOMENT of stupid can destroy you, your career, your kids, your wife and all you cared about? Why? When Bully Boys and Thugs are ALL YOU HAVE to call....THIS IS WHY.

'I'm off
edit on 14-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join