It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City businesses should stand up to their king (his majesty Bloomberg, peace be upon him)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It is nothing new that his highness Bloomberg has continued and expanded on the New York City tradition of trying to control the lives and freedom of the people of New York. His most recent venture into regulating soda is really a whole new level. Unlike the calorie count on menus issue, which simply provided information so people can make a decision for themselves, the soda issue outright takes away the peoples option. In doing so it creates a burden for those who do want more in that they have to pay more and create more waste.

I think that this is an opportunity for the businesses to stand up for their customers as well as themselves. I enjoy an occasional checkers combo. They give some big drinks. Their medium drinks are no longer legal under the Bloomberg initiative. I would like to see Checkers and all other venues that are affected by this to re-label their drink sizes and offer them as "Nanny State _____." So when I go to Checkers in NYC order Cheeseburger, they ask if I want Nanny State Medium or Nanny State Large. It would also be a nice little protest to emblazon the image his majesty Bloomberg on each and every cup with a cartoon word bubble saying "It's for your own good."
edit on 8-10-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

So is that law now in effect?

Are you able to buy 2 liters and twelve packs?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

It doesn't affect grocery stores. Only places that sell mostly fountain sodas, such as movie theaters and fast food establishments.

Beginning March 12, the city will prohibit restaurants, mobile food carts, delis and concessions at movie theaters, stadiums or arenas from selling sugary drinks in cups or containers larger than 16 ounces. The city will begin fining sellers for violating the ban in mid-June.

Source

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

But if you're drinking a diet soda or something else you can get whatever size you want?

You should consider doing a short documentary and posting it here, so that others can share your experience.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
oh boo hoo

with all of the problems in this world, you whine about this ?

well the legal age to drink is 21, I bought my first 6 pack from a deli in NY when I was 15

if it upsets you so much, bring your own 2 litre bottle of coke to the movies and chug it to bloombergs health

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

There is not any freedom left when a government tells you what you can and can not consume.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Virtually all of the problems in the world are a result of government or individuals trying to control and dominate others. This is just a case of the same. Do you think there is something more significant in than world than government or individuals trying to control and dominate others?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

So can you get free refills? Or are they illegal too?

Did they remove all the soda fountains from the publics reach?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I don't know how refills are affected by the new rules. It is funny how they exempt diet sodas, sweetened with carcinogens. But hey, government knows best.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

This new law seems to fall in line with the Michelle Obama School lunch program. If I remember correctly schools are required to at least have 830 calories per meal, so they had it capped at 850 calories. This isn't about obesity, its about Obamacare.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

They're not telling you that you can't consume it, they're limiting the quantity you can get at one time. There's a significant difference between the two. And while I think this is kind of stupid, god knows the US could collectively do well to lose some weight.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Originally posted by ShadeWolf

They're not telling you that you can't consume it, they're limiting the quantity you can get at one time. There's a significant difference between the two. And while I think this is kind of stupid, god knows the US could collectively do well to lose some weight.

Whats the difference? Sorry you can't have any salt either because you're too fat.

We could collectively do well to lose some weight? Based on what stats? Have you ever been to the US? Do you even have the slightest idea what you are talking about?

So because some people are overweight, we should all be punished collectively. OK Gotcha.

Anyways, I know this is gonna twist your brain, but sugar doesn't cause obesity. But do you know what does? Its called aspartame and that is what is used in Diet soft Drinks here in the US, it is an artificial sweetener.

Trust me, Ive worked in the restaurant industry and this is not rocket science. I've seen overweight children come in with overweight parents, guess what they ALL order? Diet Cokes. It never fails. But not only that, they drink faster than those people who order other drinks. I will bring them their first drink and offer them an appetizer, by the time I ring it in and return to their table, their entire drink is already gone and it never fails. I have never seen anyone drink a regular soda or Coke that fast, but when it comes to Diet Coke I will watch them drink at least 5 or 6 glasses per sitting, it never fails. In fact your supposed to fill the cup with ice before serving but in the case of Diet drinks I put hardly any ice in it at all, because I already know they are going to down it in 2 seconds flat and then demand another one, before I even have a chance to return to the kitchen. IT NEVER FAILS, EVER!

Guess what all the average people that order, regular sodas, tea or water, but never Diet drinks.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Whether or not a sub forum could be set up is a matter for admin and ownership, but we could certainly get the ball rolling by having our members tell us about their careers and dreams of careers in a thread here on Social Issues. Acheter T-Shirts vêtements pas cher casquette new york pas cher

top topics

join