It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A SHTF Scenario and eyesight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet but I worry a lot about a shtf scenario, and have become concerned about my glasses. Seriously if I break or lose them I would be screwed. I've been thinking about buying a pair of the army's "birth control goggles"(the ones they give in boot camp) with enough replacement frames to last me an entire lifetime. I believe about 20 frames would last the rest of my life easily.

What do you guy's think? Can a civilian even order military eye wear?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Why do that when you can get super cheap glasses that don't look as dorkish as those.
If you get your prescription from an eye doctor you can order cheap glasses online. This site has some advertised as low as $6.95.

Zenni Optical

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by boot2theface

BCGs are to big and cumbersome, I would think the metal alloy frames that can be bent and snap back into shape would do fine, but you idea of ordering new frames sounds good, however your way off base thinking the frames are the important part. The frames can be remade out of anything easily, the lenses are the hard part. If I were you I would order more lenses and frames, as a broken lens and your done no matter how many frames you have.

Also in a TSHTF scenario I would think there will be plenty of them around in all the abandoned stores everywhere, as these are not likely to be on the top of anyones list, just stop at any big box store, or one of the millions of little pharmacies, these exist in every small town in the country for the most part.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Your advice is good if your visual acuity is simply due to age but for me with 7.5 diopter correction it just won't do. I can't "just go to a big box store." Having spares is a must! Packing those spares so they don't get damaged and keeping them on your person is also a smart move. Losing your go bag with spare glasses could be a serious blow to your survival chances.

If your approaching say 50 or so, purchasing some off the shelf glasses in say +1.5 and +2.5 would be a smart move. Could also be a good currency. Sun glasses may be good currency as well. They dont take up much room and from a 'cheap store' they are not at all expensive. In Australia all sunnies have to meet minimum standards so even the cheap ones are good.

Think ahead ...... think 5 to 10 years ahead, not just six months.

P

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by boot2theface

although it might be expensive, look into getting la-sic NOW! It'll be done you'll have 20/20 vision or close to that and its supposed to last something like 20 years. it'll save you the hassle of looking for glasses at least for a while. By the time your eyes start to degrade again hopefully you have a group of people to look after you or things have gotten back to some semblance of normality.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Even in an extended SHTF situation you'll be able to find or improvise frames. Lenses and the gear to grind and polish them will be services pretty quickly offered and bartered for. So I'd say concentrate on what you need for the immediate WROL aftermath including sunglasses. I keep a spare set of both in my vehicle and my BoB. I'm not sure if stocking up is necessary but if you decide to do that, as one person said about, the spare lenses are the way to go.

I've also spent the past few years making sure ~not~ to wear my glasses around the house and in the office. The result has been my eyesight has improved just slightly and I can do 15/25yard shooting exercises with equal proficiency should I ever have to. Drills simulating eye injury have been recommended but I haven't done the pepper spray drills or anything more extreme than closing one eye. I'm not sure I trust myself to even attempt those without serious professional guidance.

I've been debating LASIK for a decade now but, either as a sign from above or annoying coincidence, every time I'm ready to take the dive a friend or colleague does it and something goes wrong. -Mags

new topics

top topics

join