It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid Facebook Was Selling Your Information? You Were Right!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Give your personal information to Facebook and it's advert friends, or don't use facebook. This seems to be the new mantra of the ailing company since it's put profit mode into overdrive.

Facebook is embroiled in a new privacy row after it began selling access to users in order to bolster its profits.

The social networking site is allowing companies to trawl through its 900m users looking for email addresses and phone numbers so it can better target adverts.

The changes mean that if you hand over any details when you buy something - as many consumers do - that company can now track you down on Facebook.

The measures appear to be a cynical attempt to sidestep restrictions imposed on Facebook by US regulators due to earlier botched privacy changes.

They have already sparked calls for an official investigation by campaigners who claim that the public have not been properly notified.

Source

Seems legit right? Wrong.

Social media is the internets biggest thing. It become that big because companies realized they could get FREE information out of you. You should be paid by facebook honestly considering all the free advertising work you do for them in the run of the day.

But, more and more people sign up. Even though we can clearly see that Facebook is only interested in colluding with those who own us already to further advertise and trick us into consuming more products.

Thoughst ATS?

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
My thoughts?

Don't use Face Book.

Problem solved.

Peace

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Afraid of it? Known it for years. Just as Myspace before it. And Yahoo... and Google. And any survey you fill out to take one of those fun quizzes. And when you shop online just about anywhere.

All for sale.

Oh, and it's not just the Internet. It's also stores, restaurants, gas stations, big pharma, big tobacco.

Example: Smokers. How often have you just gotten unsolicited coupons in the mail for a different brand from what you smoke? Now... did you ever sign up for free "coupons or promotions" from your brand? That's why. They sold your info.

Remember "Marlboro miles?" Total data mining.

It's been going on for a long, long time. Newspapers subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, cable companies, cellular providers, ISP's... every sells consumer lists. That's how the "If you like ____, then you'll LOVE ____" marketing strategy was born.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yes they do try extract as much information from you to do the exact things you stated, but Facebook only uses what information you give it.

If you use Facebook properly then its actually a pretty good network. Facebook lets me keep in touch with a few old mates and family, put silly pictures up or visit pages such as LADSBibible, GirlsDaily(Work
). I don't ever use the tagging location tool and my current location is São Paulo, Brazil. Currently living in Tehran, Iran. . . My name is backwards, too. So the people who I know, or want to know me - only know who I am.

People just need to be more aware of Facebook intentions and be more careful with the information their sharing

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Been off of FB for a couple months now and no need to ever go back, I found out that still to this day if you dial a phone number that someone on the other end picks up. I know I was shocked as hell to see that system still works. It was weird when I first heard a person laugh out loud again and wasen't reading it in my msg box LoL I joke.

But yeah people should be more aware of what this simplifcation tool is used for, ya talking to old friends is great getting cyber stalked by anyone with a vested interest in your money too me is another thing entirerly but too each there own I just prefer human contact too anything the social networks offer...

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
yeah. I got an app for free messaging/texting to my deployed boyfriend. the app asked if it could use my info MULTIPLE times to help me find friends. I declined all of them.
THEN. there are a few of my FB friends popping up, like HEY, CHECK IT! THEY'VE GOT THIS APP TOO!!

and I'm like.

HOW DO YOU KNOW I KNOW THEM.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is why I don't have facebook.

I said yesterday on another thread that facebook for conspiracy theorists or people who are very private is similiar to a pacifist who loves to fight.
It makes no sense to me at all.
Theres other ways to communicate to people other than facebook.
edit on 3-10-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
My thoughts?

Don't use Face Book.

Problem solved.

Peace

I did use facebook.
I deleted all of my posts and information (that took a few evenings) and closed my account.
The world as I know it did not end.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Facebook scares me... and the red-headed freckled man who created it also disturbs me. He reminds me of one of the people who shot up those theatres or schools or that one lesbian senator woman can't remember her name...

If you accept friends that FACEBOOK recommends to you then it gives you a WARNING of NOT ACCEPTING FRIEND REQUESTS FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!

don't.. RECOMMEND FRIENDS TO ME THEN WARN ME FOR ACCEPTING THEM. Sheesh.

Not only that, but when it's through warning you with its Nazi-ism, it takes you to a "Community Guidelines" page...

What community!?!?!?!? The world is not a community (and i'm pretty sure that's what Facebook spans) , nor should it ever, ever be. Am I missing something, I think I am...

That's like saying... Welcome to Earth, please read the community guidelines before living here.

It'd be one thing if it were ATS. ATS is small enough that it could ALMOST, almost... somewhat distantly but almost... be a community. So, if ATS had "community guidelines" I wouldn't flip out.

But Facebook is huge. You're not even "normal" if you don't have a facebook.

Normal, leave me out.

Oh yea, none of those people are normal. That's why they have to do things that make them feel normal like join Facebook. Normal people don't have to do things that make them feel normal to feel normal. Normal people also don't "feel" normal, they just are.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I took my yahoo account and deleted and altered all the information. I removed all the people in my contacts list and put a single fake contact in it. I also tired to get the email removed from whatever lists it was on and stopped using the account. Then I used it to create a fake account on FB to test the security of my real account.

Face Book wanted to check the yahoo contacts list to add friends to the fake FB account, I said no. When I finished the fake FB account the first person it suggested as a friend was someone who was on my yahoo contact list that I deleted long before this fake FB account was made. So not only did Face Book check my yahoo contacts list after I told it not to, it found contacts that I deleted from yahoo.

If someone on your FB friends list deletes their account, their name will still appear on your friends list. Their profile is gone, but their name is still on all their friend's lists.

All I can say is use fake information and a proxy server.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
it is disturbing when companies i do business with
insist on me creating an account for ease of business.
my perpetual answer is always no, much to their dismay.
when they will not take no for an answer i simply
state that we can no longer do business if this is
mandatory.
what i am observing at the moment is how fb is slowly
becoming embedded into public services nationwide.
although it is not mandatory at the moment, i'm sure
that eventually they will move in that direction.
i consider their actions underhand with regards to
revenue generation via uninformed citizens accounts.
f(uk)

new topics

top topics

join