It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas City Google Map Anomaly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Lately I've been looking a military bases and airports around the world on google maps ever since i saw a video that showed a base outside of jacksonville florida that had nearly every inch of runway covered with white UN vehicles. Now if you look at that base (Green Cove Springs) it looks pretty empty, no vehicles...but you can see the blotches left after having the vehicles sit for so long. The base is right on a port and there are rail lines that go into the base which is most likely how the vehicles were moved in and out. Ok, thats what peaked my interest in trolling google maps, so today i was looking at Missouri and as i zoomed in on Richard-Gebaur AFB i noticed something odd. When looking straight down at the base zoomed in about halfway on the scale you can see typical runways crossing eachother, but as soon as you zoom in one step further everything in the frame changes. It changes from an airstrip to what looks like a rail yard when you zoom in, but it's not just the base, even some of the surrounding area changes...buildings and properties that weren't there before all of a sudden appear, and others disappear. Could it be evidence of the maps being altered to keep prying eyes from accidentaly seeing something they shouldnt? I looked at the bottom of the map and they both said 2012, but the far out zoom that shows the base is from TerraMetrics and the close up is DigitalGlobe, GeoEye, USGS, and USDA map data...seems odd.

Here's the coordinates, let me know what you think.
38.84305,-94.560725 (just copy and paste into the search bar)

***MOD EDIT***
Not an Introduction Thread
*Closing Thread*

The Introduction Forum is for introductions To tell something about you; not to start a thread about a topic.“Intro threads” that are really “topic threads” will be removed.
Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself.

This area is solely for introducing yourself (as you can see by browsing through other Introduction threads by new members). We apologize for this inconvenience, but its a necessity for a website as large as ours. I've had to remove your entire post as it goes against our policies.

Strict code's like this are in place to help keep the machine 'running smoothly'. One of these policies is that members need to post their thoughts in the appropriate areas. I'm sure you'll understand the necessity for us having rules like this. It helps keep all the great threads and topics in their perspective areas of interest and not all lumped together, making it difficult to find when wanting to make additional comments.

You have posted what could be a very interesting topic in the "Introductions thread". With that said, I'm going to have to close this thread as it does not comply with the above stated rules. After you have managed to get 20 posts under your belt, start your own thread in one of the appropriate areas.

Thread closed, you can contact me by a private message for more information if needed after you have read the links provided above and in the final post below. Or you can also contact staff by alerting them here Complaints and Suggestions

Reaffirming ATS Policies ( Please Read )

Terms & Conditions Of Use ( Please read )
edit on 10/1/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Nondom

I'm looking at it in Google Maps/Google Earth and I can tell you exactly what that is. It's a transmodal freight yard without container storage. They just load/unload and go rather than stacking them around. That is the rail spur. It makes sense for how they get the endless train cars people sometimes see of major military hardware being moved around.

A company I drove for, Transland in Springfield here, ran up to rail yards in the K.C. area as a dedicated thing with a large number of trucks. This was the sort of thing they did, although the civilian yards have the towering stacks of containers sitting around like people are used to seeing.

new topics

join