It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Kerry's point of view on Taiwan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The title is the question. Would he help Taiwan or would he sit and watch the fireworks go off? I heard he doesn't support Taiwan and he wants the mainland to unite with Taiwan from somewhere but I forgot.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I think I've read a speech from Kerry to the Senate about Taiwan policy. I think he gonna make a new policy over since he suggested it a while back, not really sure. But I will check again.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
www.taipeitimes.com...

During the Iowa caucus you said the US should push for a "one China, two systems" for Taiwan. While Beijing promised Hong Kong 50 years of democracy under "one country, two systems," it has already reneged on that pledge.

washingtontimes.com...

He was particularly concerned by Mr. Kerry's statement during the Democratic primary race that Taiwan might have to accept a one-country/two-system policy similar to that applied to Hong Kong.

th.gio.gov.tw...

The Taiwan policy of a Kerry administration would not differ from the current U.S. administration's policy, U.S. Sen. Joseph Biden, a possible candidate for U.S. secretary of state should Democratic candidate John Kerry be elected president of the United States, said on Wednesday in Boston.

If Taiwan were threatened, a Kerry administration would protect it, Biden said in response to a question from a United Daily News reporter, adding, however, that a Kerry administration would also resist any efforts by Taiwan to declare independence.

www.taiwandc.org...

Some analysts say Kerry would be more like the last Democratic president, Bill Clinton, and adopt a less friendly, more cautious approach to Taiwan. They point to the party platform adopted at last month's convention.

join