It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Google Street View" Reefs! birth of virtual scuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
As a scuba diver i find this stuff pretty freakin awesome!

Google has joined forces with the Catlin Seaview Survey, a scientific project studying the health of Australia's reefs, to add underwater photography to its Street View service.

Source

Google has introduced a new use of it street view technology! Pretty fascinating stuff. HD 360° panoramic navigable views of reefs!

Heres a collection of the ---->Navigable Reefs

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Like someone said it'll be great when google maps leads your car into the sea

I dont have any second line

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Nice.. Heron island made me wanna go clean off my reel and line.

Not that I'd do it there, but been too long since I've been at the water. I know google was already adding undersea data... be nice if they could feasibly manage to make a navigable underwater 'streetview' as opposed to the 3D panorama on that site!

I'd seriously go walking from Fremantle to Rottnest just to see what it is like under that patch of water I've often travelled on top of.

Oh snap, it is sort of navigable. I got confused when one arrow took me back onto a beach of a different area, thought they were just pointers to different panoramas.

i like!
edit on 29-9-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Hehehe, nope it's just like street view but underwater. I edited the original post to prevent any further confusion.

Makes me want to ditch all responsibilities and get to the ocean! I haven't been diving in far too long.

Fishings always fun too. Love catchin me some nice grouper or amberjack to grill up! Never been sport fishing though.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Pretty cool... it could give you a good idea of places to choose to go and really dive or not.

I am not that computer savvy- I couldn't figure out- is there a way to look at more areas of the globe underwater?
Or is it just this particular area around Australia?
edit on 29-9-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Yep, i'll walk you through it. They have some reefs catalogued from Australia, Hawaii, and the Philippines.

If you click on the "Navigable Reefs" link you can click on those curved arrows to the side of the picture to switch the reef you are looking at.

To navigate the reefs you can click on the white arrows in the picture. You can also use the controls in the upper left hand corner of the pictures to zoom and rotate your angle of view. You can also do this by click/hold the picture itself and move your curser while holding down your click. Or to zoom, using the scroll feature of your mouse.

top topics

join