It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

J.K. Rowling Vs Mitt Romney On Taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Here's Rowling in the London Times (via Chris Bertram of Crooked Timber and Frank Black) :

I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles.

A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug

www.businessinsider.com...

Intelligent, well spoken, not greedy and the writer of an original series that keeps kids reading. Much respect to her. But then again, she understands what is actually like to be poor...Mitt doesn't.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Stupid, anyone prepared to hand over more money to the state , for the state to waste is a fool as far as i'm concerned, anyway the country she grew up in no longer exists, i know i'm in the same country. I cant believe she wants to bring her kids up in a country that is heading down the toilet, although her kids will never have to work due to the money she has earnt from Potter, and i'll bet she has an accountant that makes sure she isnt paying as much tax as a percentage of her earnings as i am on mine, which are a damn site less

BTW, obvious difference is Romney is running to run your country, JK is just an author
edit on 15/09/2011 by FFS4000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You're right in saying Mitt doesn't understand the poor. But there's a difference between poor and lazy. Fact is JK Rowling had some welfare benefits when she was going through a hard time, but she wasn't lazy. She worked as hard as she could to set herself up for a future.

Difference now is, people are taking advantage of the welfare system. I have friends that use food stamps when they don't need to. They can afford pot and alcohol but not food? Ever been to Baltimore? I lived there. People getting decent amounts of money from the government, more than they need, but do they change.....NO. Day and day they complain, don't even bother working or looking for work. They sit outside their houses with their tv's and radios and do nothing. Just collecting some welfare, medicaid, food stamps and what not.

Some people who really need welfare don't get enough. While many who don't need receive welfare receive too much. In NYC, I've seen ladies wearing Armani with their Louis Vuitton bags, dazzled with gold/platinum and diamond jewelry driving around in their 100K mercedes....checkout time...she pulls out an EBT card.

Welfare is a means to help relieve a family or a person from a distressing situation. To help someone properly raise a family and help attain a future and ultimately help them into citizens who contribute to society.

What needs to be done is welfare reform. You can't let parasites leech off taxpayers. But of course you need to help others who are having a hard time. Stop having children if you can't afford them. The best birth control is to keep the snake in the pants and your legs closed......look for a job, you could even just be a delivery boy...work at mcdonalds...anything. Show that you can contribute to society. If you can't afford food, you shouldn't be buying namebrand crap and drugs and alcohol. If you're disabled cause your obese, fix it. I'm sorry but in most cases its not hypothyroidism. I have hypothyroidism and yet i still maintain a ideal body weight. Its called get up and move your ass. Stop eating crap, eat a balanced diet. Buy soda? $1 a bottle? How about going to drink some water and buying an apple instead. Healthy food is not more expensive that junk food. Complain about the government and social injustices? Do something about it then. Lead by example.

Ultimately one's life is defined by his/her actions. JK rowling is the perfect example of this, government helped her, she has helped the government (taxes, charities, providing a huge economic industry based on harry potter).
People need to realize that there are parasites, then there are people who legitimately need help.
edit on 28-9-2012 by Svipdagr because: (no reason given)

join