It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GMO debate is over; GM crops must be immediately outlawed; Monsanto halted from threatening huma

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here's a link to the study itself, if you care to look at it: www.biolsci.org...

I know I'm going to be flamed twice for this, but on this issue, I don't know enough about the issue to be concerned. It's a case of "ignorance is bliss" for me at the individual level. (Ok, I'm braced for the first flames.)

Second, there is a real question in the study, that I would appreciate someone explaining to me. They seem unsure whether the problem came from pesticide residue, or whether it was from the genetic modification itself. they seem to be leaning pretty heavily towards the pesticide residue. Is that residue an indispensible part of the modification, or can it be removed? If the residue could be removed or rendered harmless, GM crops may be good to go.

And, is the debate over? I don't think the French study will end the debate. Even the sudy's authors are asking for more studies. (Ok, three flames.)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Boy we are really on the same page here at ATS in the past days in regards to GMO toxicity and the insanity of going further with them. Just remember there is so much invested in them that they will pay more than they could ever dream of making off of them just to keep people ignorant. From your link I saw this one to the side as well and think it is so important because it always comes down to the investors and the money.

The evil of Monsanto and GMOs explained: Bad technology, endless greed and the destruction of humanity

As virtuous people, we expect corporations to act with a sense of fundamental human decency. We expect them to behave within the boundaries of respecting human life, honest business practices and reliable science. We (naively) wish that corporations would act like decent human beings. But they don't. In their quest for profit at any cost, they violate the basic tenets of virtue. They betray humanity. They destroy life. They malign Mother Nature herself, and in doing so, they threaten the very future of sustainable life on our planet.

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I am so tired of the defeatist attitudes here and elsewhere thanks for contributing to the proliferation of things like this because no one does a damn thing because they believe they can't and therefore they do not educate others and do nothing but tell others they can't do anything and then they have to get on here and say it can't be done when they have not lifted a finger to do anything.

If that is what you believe fine you are entitled to your opinion but please get the hell out of the way and let the doers save your sorry asses while you have your pity parties!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Op
From your link I did a wee bit of exploring and found this

www.naturalnews.com...

From the US ambassador to France

""Europe is moving backwards not forwards on this issue with France playing a leading role, along with Austria, Italy and even the [European] Commission... Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voice."

"Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory..."

With just a few more minutes research along this line ........I became most.......annoyed

edit on 23-9-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I don't see any problem with GMO Soybeans. I eat very little so the effects on me will be slight. If other people are dumb enough to eat them, what can I say. It is their life, they can do whatever they want to shorten it. GMO foods are just one of many changes taking place too fast. I understand that some people can eat them and some can't. Soy protein should be banned from being used so widely in food, increasing the soy we eat so fast is the worst part of the whole thing, soy products are used everywhere, that's not good. Monsanto has ties to companies making meds, that is a monopoly if I ever heard of one. Produce products that can sicken people and put them in everything. A person can easily overdose on soy proteins and oils. This will give Cronic health problems which show up after years of consumption. Well, I know much more that won't be evident to those who run Monsanto, they will be plagued with health problems themselves, even though they do not eat these products themselves. Monsanto does not want to pay health and retirement to their employees either, that is not profitable.

Anyone got a better way to reduce the world population? See, Monsanto is doing a good job.
edit on 23-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I'm not being defeatist, I'm saying thinking something can be done about the situation through official channels is self defeating. I am not saying people should stop fighting, I never admit defeat.

I just change the rules, and that is what needs to be done. People need to start thinking in a non-linear fashion. Unconventionally if you will. And I will leave it at that before I violate the T&C.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by hawkiye

I don't see any problem with GMO Soybeans. I eat very little so the effects on me will be slight. If other people are dumb enough to eat them, what can I say. It is their life, they can do whatever they want to shorten it. GMO foods are just one of many changes taking place too fast. I understand that some people can eat them and some can't. Soy protein should be banned from being used so widely in food, increasing the soy we eat so fast is the worst part of the whole thing, soy products are used everywhere, that's not good. Monsanto has ties to companies making meds, that is a monopoly if I ever heard of one. Produce products that can sicken people and put them in everything. A person can easily overdose on soy proteins and oils. This will give Cronic health problems which show up after years of consumption. Well, I know much more that won't be evident to those who run Monsanto, they will be plagued with health problems themselves, even though they do not eat these products themselves. Monsanto does not want to pay health and retirement to their employees either, that is not profitable.

Anyone got a better way to reduce the world population? See, Monsanto is doing a good job.

yeah sure....

As for soybeans, approximately 85% of the world's soybean crop is processed into soybean meal and vegetable oil.[14] The bulk of the soybean crop is grown for oil production, with the high-protein defatted and "toasted" soy meal used as livestock feed and dog food. 98% of the U.S. soybean crop is used for livestock feed [15]A smaller percentage of soybeans are used directly for human consumption.

so you dont eat meat? you dont use vegetable oil?
edit on 23-9-2012 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

It doesn't matter that you don't consume a lot of food. What matters is the food you do consume.
Just because you don't eat soybeans means nothing. The problem is the animals we eat are fed GMO feed, many of the other products we use are made containing GMO products. Then the vegetables we eat, are also becoming mostly GMO.

You see where this is going?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

The beef I eat is organic grass fed, the fish I eat is locally caught. the pork I eat is store bought but we don't get it often. Chickens are my biggest source and that could be a problem. I eat very little soybean oils other than a little when we eat out, I do eat butter though, possibly effected by the soybenas protein.

I try to eat 75 percent or more real food. I wish the foods were mostly organic and GMO food didn't exist. I know it's impossible for me to do anything other than stay out of the way of the bulldozer as it mows down Americas people.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by rayuki

The beef I eat is organic grass fed, the fish I eat is locally caught. the pork I eat is store bought but we don't get it often. Chickens are my biggest source and that could be a problem. I eat very little soybean oils other than a little when we eat out, I do eat butter though, possibly effected by the soybenas protein.

I try to eat 75 percent or more real food. I wish the foods were mostly organic and GMO food didn't exist. I know it's impossible for me to do anything other than stay out of the way of the bulldozer as it mows down Americas people.

i eat alot the same and i understand where your coming from but its the simple fact that we shouldn't have to do this with our food, and alot of people arn't even aware of GM foods at all. the fact that in the US you can get away without even labelling the food as being GM foods is just ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Second, there is a real question in the study, that I would appreciate someone explaining to me. They seem unsure whether the problem came from pesticide residue, or whether it was from the genetic modification itself. they seem to be leaning pretty heavily towards the pesticide residue. Is that residue an indispensible part of the modification, or can it be removed? If the residue could be removed or rendered harmless, GM crops may be good to go.
I would also lean more toward the likely cause being the herbicide/pesticide rather than the genetic modification. In the case of roundup resistant crops, the whole point of the genetic modification is that roundup can be used to kill weeds but not the crops. So, if you don't use roundup, then there's no point in using the genetically modified roundup resistant crops. And the way roundup works is by being absorbed by the plants. So it may not be just residue, it may be fully absorbed into the inside of the plant such that there's no way to wash it off.

Personally I'm not that worried about eating GM crops without roundup (or other chemicals), but I'm not crazy about ingesting much roundup, so if they do further confirming studies I would expect to see roundup or other chemicals cause the tumors, but if the studies show otherwise like the genetic modification as the cause, I'm open minded to any proven results.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Activist and author Dr Vandana Shiva is the founder of the Research Foundation for Science, Technology and Ecology. Myths about industrial agriculture Organic farming is the "only way to produce food" without harming the planet and people's health.

Worldwide, over half of all agricultural production passes through the hands of a co-op on its way to market.

It’s 2012! Are You Feeling Cooperative Yet? By: John E. Peck, executive director, Family Farm Defenders A version of this article was printed in the Aug. 2012 issue of Z Magazine.

We don't need no Agent Orange-Ready Roundup seeds
edit on 23-9-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

Industrial agriculture, based on the NPK mentality of synthetic nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium-based fertilisers leads to depletion of vital micronutrients and trace elements such as magnesium, zinc, calcium and iron. David Thomas, a geologist-turned-nutritionist, discovered that between 1940 and 1991, vegetables had lost - on an average - 24 per cent of their magnesium, 46 per cent of their calcium, 27 per cent of their iron and no less than 76 per cent of their copper (Ref: David Thomas "A study on the mineral depletion of the foods available to us as a nation over the period 1940 to 1991", Nutrition and Health, 2003; 17(2): 85-115). Carrots had lost 75 per cent of their calcium, 46 per cent of their iron, and 75 per cent of their copper. Potatoes had lost 30 per cent of their magnesium, 35 per cent calcium, 45 per cent iron and 47 per cent copper. To get the same amount of nutrition, people will need to eat much more food. The increase in "yields" of empty mass does not translate into more nutrition. In fact it is leading to malnutrition.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Monsanto must be burned to ashes

The elite are sociopaths

It's ok to ingest poisons that are laced in our food, drink tap water dosed with fluoride but street drugs are illegal and dangerous lol. Because these elite D-bags want to kill you themselves not some drug pusher named Larry. Because Larry would be stealing their thunder.

We all know the real agenda is population control, they think this is the only answer. Culling the herd invisibly through proxy. However there is enough land and resources to accommodate every human on earth. Instead they could have colonized space the moon and mars with all the money and life wasted on wars. But they only think one dimensionally and feel the need to carry on tradition... mass murder is their greatest legacy.

"A total population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal."

-CNN Founder Ted Turner

edit on 23-9-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
everybody start composting your manure to grow organic food.

Read John Jenkin's Humanure book -- free download online. download free here -- see table of contents first here

Read F.H. King's 40 Centuries of Farming -- all from humanure composting.

And for those who are fecophobes -- this is called Ecological Sanitation by the Swedish Environment Institute.

I visited the most traditional Berber village in Morocco that relied on humanure composting to transform the desert mountains into fertile fresh food for thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

Once the population is reduced by 75 percent they will change the food back. Don't worry, we just need to make it to that point.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

GM "foods" are terrible, and terminator seeds could one day wipe out humanity much more easily than nuclear war, but what I think may be the biggest problem is that these plants absorb highly toxic chemicals, amd are grown in soil highly devoid of nutrients. Soil which would go barren immediately without chemical fertilizers due to the natural processes (worms, for example) being eliminated.

All GM foods do is to transfer wealth from consumers and farmers to Monsanto amd chemical manufacturers. They don't increase yields, they don't cost less, and they're not good for humans.

Unfortunately, not everyone has land where they can grow their own food, and not everyone can afford to buy natural and/or organic foods (though if consumers knew the truth, many would ratchet down other purchases a bit in ordeer to do so.)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by hawkiye

SnF op!

I have been against them from the first time. I heard of them, there is nothing to be gained by genetically splicing unknown dna into ununderstood dna to create untested new species that are nolw tested on humanity.

I thought the food and drug administration was suppossed to be regulating this. Oh that's right, I forgot, they only regulate money from lobyists into their bank accounts. Hence all the class action lawsuits for "medicines" causing loss of life and limbs at a break neck speed.

It seems like every time I see an add for a new drug, within 2 years I see the lawyers pimping their services to sue them.

Agreed even the commercials for drugs they are pushing most of the commercial is taken up by all the side effects the drug has. The supposed cure is worse then the disease. They are telling right on TV they want you to take poisons that will harm you and then list the harms it causes (that they know of) and then act like it is good for you... The sad part is how many people go to their doctor and request the poison dutifully as they were told to by these drug pushers...

The sad thing about medicine is that there is no cure for anything. Only take the symtoms away but no cure and as long as you take the medicine. Keep on taking medicine does not constitute cure.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
All those start for posting a link from a popular website. I don't think I can even start a post yet but I can already see how easy it is to get stars from people. Google = stars

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mythots

In the May 1998 issue of Research Review, a publication of the university's Office of Research and Technology Transfer, Muscoplat's predecessor vowed that the school would become a national leader in agricultural biotech. "If we do not do it," wrote then-ag dean Mike Martin, "we will have failed in our responsibility as a land-grant university, and we will have set society back." In the same article, Martin touted the university's acquisition of St. Louis-based Monsanto Corp.'s Roundup Ready gene--a transgenic technology that has since become a target of GM crop opponents. In addition, he related an anecdote about a university researcher who, when asked if he could increase the size of soybeans, responded: "For enough money I'll make 'em the size of basketballs."

Quoting my research in the local news

Yeah this comment I posted on my genetic engineering protest got tons of stars

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
"The GMO debate is over"

Says who? I doubt this research will affect anything.
What did Harvard's findings of fluoride lowering IQ do? Nothing.
Science and facts are nothing compared to multi-trillion dollar industries that have the government in their pocket.

PS this topic was already posted.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-9-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join