It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Rotten to the Core

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It's a waste of time to argue about what is creating global warming.

We are now entering an era where global warming is about to reshape humanity.

www.vancouversun.com...

NASA handout image shows how satellite data reveals how the new record low Arctic sea ice extent, from September 16, 2012, compares to the average...more
BY MARGARET MUNRO, POSTMEDIA NEWS SEPTEMBER 21, 2012
When David Barber first headed to the Arctic in the 1980s, the ice would typically retreat just a few a kilometres offshore by summer’s end.

Now he and his colleagues have to travel more than 1,000 kilometres north into the Beaufort Sea to even find the ice.

And it’s nothing like the thick, impenetrable ice of Arctic lore.

The way it is looking we might see the Arctic Ocean ice free in five years. And how much will that accelerate Greenlands ice melt? We might see Greenland ice free in a decade, and a rise in ocean levels of 20 feet.

This is the most dominent issue of our times, people just don't know it yet.

How is Arctic methane doing?

edit on 22-9-2012 by poet1b because: Typos

Mod Edit -- Guidelines for External Posting
edit on 9/22/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

It can't possibly last long because with this degree of yearly melt it wont be but the same handful of years before the NA current shuts down from fresh water shutting the conveyor and creates an ice age.

There is little we can do about it, it's obvious that this is the Sun as causation not just man made phenomena this is cyclical and inevitable anyway.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I believe in man made pollution contributes to global climate change in some way but not as traumatic as some think. The Earth has always gone through cycles and this article from today shows that.

Article: 50-Million-Year-Old Redwood Chunk Found in Canadian Diamond Mine - Date: 21 September 2012 Time: 02:20 PM ET source: www.livescience.com...

I could be wrong but think we are in another cycle change on a global scale.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have heard that once upon a time Antarctica was ice free, and that maps have been found to prove it. I myself don't know for sure if they are legitimate or not, but it gives rise to questions of whether or not we may be going through a natural heating cycle.

Piri Reis Map

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Pretty sure the planet will take care of it self, been around long enough to have seen many heating and cooling spells.

Its just we humans that might be F-ed.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
I have heard that once upon a time Antarctica was ice free, and that maps have been found to prove it. I myself don't know for sure if they are legitimate or not, but it gives rise to questions of whether or not we may be going through a natural heating cycle.

Piri Reis Map

I think those maps are genuine because when they were discovered(think it was about 1500's) we didn't even know the arctic existed.
edit on 22-9-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The methane release is of course the big game changer, especially since last years reports of KM wide plumes of bubbling methane coming out of the Actic continental shelf. These plumes are probably increasing in number and size, although I see no news reports on what is being observed on these plumes, only that measuring Arctic methane shows alarmingly high concentrations.

m.io9.com...

Working at the Nunavut island of Bylot, Guertin-Pasquier discovered the remains of a mummified forest that existed between 2.6 million and 3 million years ago. Such research has only been made possible in the last several years, on account of the thawing of the permafrost. ...

As a result, this will all now start to rot, resulting in a tremendous release of methane into the atmosphere, an effect that will boost global warming. The same thing is happening in the Antarctic.

m.guardiannews.com...

Scientists say as much as 4bn tonnes of the potent greenhouse gas could be released into the atmosphere if ice melts

British co-author Prof Jemma Wadham, from the University of Bristol, said: "This is an immense amount of organic carbon, more than 10 times the size of carbon stocks in northern permafrost regions.

So if GW starts to release all this Methane and carbon, then it will also be like lighting a forest fire that will spread quickly, and possibly rapidly melt Antarctica ice sheets within a few decades.

In the next few years, we are going to be looking at just how fast GB will start to accelerate. This is happening right now. Pretty much everything else will take a back seat to this issue very soon.

edit on 22-9-2012 by poet1b because: Typo

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by penninja

All evidence shows that warm periods in the past lasted for thousands of years. There is no evidence the ocean currents will shut this down.

I wonder if all that released water could effect our planets rotation, possibly introduce a wobble.

Nobody knows what will happen, only that the change continues to accelerate.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Methane is a concern but if its coming from among other places like the arctic region then it could be from ancient vegetation and animal matter. Granted the oceans take in some harmful gases like co2 and releases some of them at certain times, I don't think all of the released methane is from the oceans, though.

Some recent scientist raised the alarm of cattle releasing too much methane into the atmosphere. Can you imagine the dinosaurs and their contributions to methane release millions of years ago from dino poop alone if that was true. Less alone the vegetation decay and bacterial reactions. Even today parts of the Louisiana bayou belches methane and petroleum products from decaying material and deposits of petroleum products.

Don't know but still think its a cycle we go through like pole reversals recorded in rock sample from thousands of years ago.

So the arctic had to be warm at one time, perhaps.
edit on 22-9-2012 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

There is nothing natural about this warming cycle. The historical record shows us this has never happened before so rapidly.

We are about to go on one crazy ride.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

“Now we are getting there in tens of years, not tens of thousands of years,” he says. “And we don’t know how the Earth is going to respond because we have never seen such a rapid change before.”

“The scientific community realizes that we have a planetary emergency,” said Hansen. “It’s hard for the public to recognize this because they stick their head out the window and don’t see that much.

This is what scares me - things are happening so fast and we have no idea what to expect. I keep saying, you want doom, you got doom - this is our doom - everyone talks about 2012, wwIII, asteroids, solar flares, etc, etc, but this is really happening - it's happening now and it's happening fast, and yet largely ignored by the general public..

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1409

Currently the Arctic area is releasing several time more Methane than the rest of the planet combined. This is a whole lot more than cow farts.

If people want to pretend this is not happening, that is their choice.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

Yeah, the public is in massive denial, while the oil companies are already setting up oil drilling as the Arctic ice retreats. It is a strange disconnect from reality.

It could be good news for those who see this coming, but how to prepare?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Pretty sure the planet will take care of it self, been around long enough to have seen many heating and cooling spells.

That's always been my view.

People like to argue over whats causing it. Meanwhile, the oceans will rise and some Cities and Regions around the globe will be drastically affected irregardless of the cause.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I didn't state it was only from cow gas. My point was that it was from vegetation and animal matter thus the arctic was much warmer at one time to accommodate the process. Just tossing out an opinion and didn't expect a snarky reply maybe that's whats wrong with having a conversation about global warming.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

With polar ice caps, frozen tundra, and supposedly an ice age occurring every hundred thousand years, how did vegetation ever get a chance to grow near the poles and now threaten to release life killing methane?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by dcmb1409

Currently the Arctic area is releasing several time more Methane than the rest of the planet combined. This is a whole lot more than cow farts.

If people want to pretend this is not happening, that is their choice.

We just need to be there with a match when it finally goes.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by benrl

That's always been my view.

People like to argue over whats causing it. Meanwhile, the oceans will rise and some Cities and Regions around the globe will be drastically affected irregardless of the cause.

Oh no you DINNIN'T write 'irregardless'! LOLOLOL

Seriously, I thought the amount of methane release we're talking about was an atmosphere changer and life killer?
edit on 9/22/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, planet Earth will continue to thrive, how much of humanity survives, and how much of civilization survives is the real question, at least for humanity.

If an alien species wants to take over our planet, fooling greedy oil barons into destroying our climate would be a pretty good plan.

Want to collaborate on a screenplay?

It sounds like the ultimate scifi movie plot.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
With polar ice caps, frozen tundra, and supposedly an ice age occurring every hundred thousand years, how did vegetation ever get a chance to grow near the poles and now threaten to release life killing methane?

La La La covering my ears...that's crazy talk I tell ya...

One thing to think about is we were in a mini ice age for about 500 plus years that finally broke in the mid to late 1800s, so just what is normal...I don't know.

Back in the late 1700s the Huson river froze over every winter as example.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join