It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama warns Egypt: Are you an ally or an enemy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yahoo News - Obama Warns Egypt .. Are you an Ally or an Enemy

President Barack Obama says he will decide whether Egypt is an ally or an enemy of the United States in part according to the way the fledgling government in Cairo responds to the violent assault on the American embassy there on Monday.

"Certainly in this situation what we're going to expect is that they are responsive to our insistence that our embassy is protected, our personnel is protected," Obama said. "And if they take actions that indicate they're not taking responsibilities, as all other countries do where we have embassies, I think that's going to be a real big problem."

The president—his handling of the so-called "Arab Spring" under fresh scrutiny after attacks on American diplomatic posts in Egypt, Libya, and Yemen—had been asked by Telemundo whether he sees Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi's government as an ally. "I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy. They're a new government that is trying to find its way," Obama replied in what, by the standards of diplomatic talk, amounted to a blunt warning

MUCH more of this story at the site.

IF he really issued a warning like that ... then kudos to him.

IF, however, he was hedging when he said "I don't think that we consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy" ... Then that's more of what I expected from him. I'd call it being wishy-washy. I'm sure his cheerleaders would say that he's just being careful with a new government.

Anyways .. if he really did give those tough words then I'm wondering how his followers will react. Will they ignore it or will they be able to see the words of George W. Bush (43) in them ... 'either you are with us or you are with the terrorists'. Pretty familiar, eh?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Anyways .. if he really did give those tough words then I'm wondering how his followers will react. Will they ignore it or will they be able to see the words of George W. Bush (43) in them ... 'either you are with us or you are with the terrorists'. Pretty familiar, eh?

I see it as more of a "Either protect our embassy that's on your soil, or get lost". By "get lost" i mean... "boom bang clash zing... siren"

I don't think he's suggesting that they are 'Terrorists'. Just a problem that will have to be dealt with.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Yah Egypt, you better shape up.

We bank rolled your dictator for 30 years then helped your military turn your country into a more repressive regime.

And if you dont calm down, we'll do it again!

Obamney 2012!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The old saying, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend.", seems to be coming back tenfold and biting our government in the rearend!! Wouldn't you think?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
With friends like the US, who needs enemies?

Seriously, is every government around the world somehow duty bound to be a friend to America or be deemed an enemy? Why not just keep the hell out of their affairs and leave them alone.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Just came on to share what I have seen. This page shows just exactly where they are planning to send 50 Marines?
english.ahram.org.eg...

edit on 13-9-2012 by antar because: EDIT for graphic content related to Ambassador Stevens...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
According to the link I provided above, the word is that Obama stated that Egypt was not their friend anymore but that they are not the enemy either.

english.ahram.org.eg...

"I think that we are going to have to see how they respond to this incident," Obama said. "Certainly in this situation, what we're going to expect is that they are responsive to our insistence that our embassy is protected, our personnel is protected," Obama said. "And if they take actions that indicate they're not taking those responsibilities, as all other countries do where we have embassies, I think that's going to be a real big problem." Calling it a "work in progress," Obama said the new government was "trying to find its way" and noted it was democratically elected. The interview is to be aired in full over the coming days. Telemundo and MSNBC are affiliated.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, NOW WHAT POTUS???

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Extreme Warning graphic pictures of Ambassador Stevens...

I saw that. Everyone can see how his body was disrespected. I wasn't happy that this hit the internet. But I guess it's news and it educates people on what is really happening over there. Still ... *shudder* ...

Originally posted by antar
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, NOW WHAT POTUS???

I hear ya'. It's just like that 2008 campaign comercial when Obama has to call Hillary at 3AM to figure out what to do in an international crisis. So far, he hasn't done very well at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Obama hasn't been told what to think or say.
I guess he wants to wait and Hold Hands with and say a Pray with, The Muslim Brotherhood Egyptian President Mohammad Morsi.
You know, a promise of more Tax Payer Monies in the form of Aide to his Bank Account.

Barack Obama invited Muslim Brotherhood Egyptian President Mohammad Morsi to meet with him in New York next week.

But… Barack Obama won’t meet with Israeli leader Netanyahu over Iran row. He’s going to be campaigning and on Letterman .

www.thegatewaypundit.com...
www.freerepublic.com...
Obama rejects Netanyahu meeting, invites Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood president to talk...
drudgereport.com...
edit on 13-9-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
stoopid ass question

they are an ally......why would he ask in that tone??

dude..we need the egyptians MORE then they need us...thats the reality
be tactful i say....post mubarak egypt is centered around protest....thats about it

peace

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

We bank rolled your dictator for 30 years then helped your military turn your country into a more repressive regime.

Obamney 2012!

Frigen right. Bank rolling , attacking , manipulating and controlling. This is how things are done , its how wars are controlled, its what makes the industrialized nations live prosperous and civilized. This is the reality and we all prosper and benefit from it one way or the other. If you cry for morality, justice and ethical diplomacy dont forget the hypocrisy behind it

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by papazen

Obamney 2012!

thats what the propaganda makes you believe...but thats pure BS

america and isreal BEGGED egypt to sign that carter treaty...Sadat could of really punished isreal, but instead he arrested muslims....
bank roll....egypts canal controls the west's economy...end of!

peace

get real dude...your passionate ignorance doesnt work in egypt
edit on 13-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
"I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy. They're a new government that is trying to find its way," Obama replied in what, by the standards of diplomatic talk, amounted to a blunt warning...

THAT'S a blunt warning? I almost missed it. I don't see any warning. I see more milk toast. Yeah, Egypt must be quaking in their boots by now.

edit on 13-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

And waffled on by his posse...

Asked about the president’s comment, White House National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said: “‘Ally’ is a legal term of art. We don’t have a mutual defense treaty with Egypt like we do with our NATO allies. But as the President has said, Egypt is long-standing and close partner of the United States, and we have built on that foundation by supporting Egypt’s transition to democracy and working with the new government.”

Source

So what exactly is a "legal term of art"?

A word or phrase that has special meaning in a particular context.

Source

I don't know exactly what to make of this.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

I'll tell you what to make of this,,,,, Obama is Full Of Sh*t!
Some Conservatives wanted to stop the foreign aid Egypt and Libya but Obamas W. H. has said No!

A group of House conservatives, led by freshman Rep. Jeffrey M. Landry, Louisiana Republican, is calling for foreign aid to both Libya and Egypt to be stripped from a six-month federal funding bill up for a vote Thursday

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Air Force One on Thursday that the U.S. would not withhold aid to Egypt.

Now get this, While:

Campaigning in Golden, Colo., Thursday, Mr. Obama said the world is going through some “tumultuous times” but said America would stay true to its commitment to improving the plight of people around the world.

“Our task, as the most powerful nation on Earth, is to defend and protect and advance our people, but also to defend and protect and advance those values at home and around the world,” he said. “That’s what our troops do. That’s what our diplomats do. That’s what our intelligence officers do. That’s what our citizens do. That’s what we believe. Those are the values that we hold to.”

“Our task, as the most powerful nation on Earth, is to defend and protect and advance our people, but also to defend and protect and advance those values at home and around the world,”
www.washingtontimes.com...
B. S. no it's not! Why? Let them continue to live in the Dark-Ages,,,, When they decide to come into the 21st century, we'll say Hello,,, But Carefully.
Egypt does not need our money,,,,,,, Do they?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Fair enough assessment, but I'm not going to jump the gun like B-rock and Mittens, or you for that matter.

Time will tell the truth. And if they really want to pull the aid they will.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Obama gave them an ultimatum!!

A warning>?

First he doesn't know if America and Egypt are allies
then he gives them a warning after his masters briefed him.

Why didn't he tell them to eat sand and their not getting another damn dime!!

This empty suit named Obama is flip flopping
like a fish out of water.
edit on 13-9-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by popcornmafia
Obama gave them an ultimatum!!

A warning>?

First he doesn't know if America and Egypt are allies
then he gives them a warning after his masters briefed him.

Why didn't he tell them to eat sand and their not getting another damn dime!!

This empty suit named Obama is flip flopping
like a fish out of water.
edit on 13-9-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

From what we know NOW!

State Dept 'had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged consulate in Benghazi'...

Obama,,, if he'd attend his security briefings or at least read the reports,,, had two days to give the Egyptian Government a Warning,,,,, But as usual Obama does not care.
This article deserves a Thread All It's Own,,,,,Feel Free.

According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

The men should be held accountable for running away, All Aid Payments to The Bank Account of The New Egyptian President should be Stopped,,,,,,,,

According to security sources the consulate had been given a "health check" in preparation for any violence connected to the 9/11 anniversary. In the event, the perimeter was breached within 15 minutes of an angry crowd starting to attack it at around 10pm on Tuesday night. There was, according to witnesses, little defence put up by the 30 or more local guards meant to protect the staff. Ali Fetori, a 59-year-old accountant who lives near by, said: "The security people just all ran away and the people in charge were the young men with guns and bombs."

www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 13-9-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Your source does not seem credible.

They also stressed there had been no advance warning or intelligence to suggest a threat in
Libya
that would warrant boosting security, even on the 11th anniversary of the terror attacks of Sept. 11,

stressed there had been no advance warning or intelligence to suggest a threat in Libya

"As we did with all of our missions overseas, in advance of the September 11 anniversary and as we do every year, we did evaluate the threat stream and we determined that the security at Benghazi was appropriate for what we knew," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

The intelligence leading up to the attacks will be examined to "see if there was any way of forecasting this violence," as in any violent incident, House Intelligence Committee member Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said in an interview Thursday. But he said the focus now "has to be on finding out who is responsible and bringing them to justice."

President Barack Obama, speaking a campaign event in Golden, Colo., also vowed that the perpetrators would be punished.

Caught off guard

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

This is a true gaffe, unlike Romney's so called gaffe on Russia where he was 100% correct. Obama is clueless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join