It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: One in 100 adults are asexual

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
About one percent of adults have absolutely no interest in sex, according to a new study, and that distinction is becoming one of pride among many asexuals. That is roughly the same amount of the gay population at 3%. The new study was conducted by Anthony Bogaert, a psychologist and human sexuality expert at Brock University in St. Catherines, Ontario.

edition.cnn.com
Bogaert"s analysis looked at responses to another study in Britain, published in 1994. That study was based on interviews of 18,000 people about their sexual practices. It offered respondent a list of options. One read: "I have never felt sexually attracted to anyone at all." One percent said they agreed with the statement.

New Scientist says such studies offer insights into sexuality, the results remain controversial. "The closest we have got to understanding human asexuals comes from studies -- mostly surveys - of people who report not have sex," it says.

A 1994 survey, published by The University of Chicago Press, found that 13 percent of 3,500 respondents had no sex in the past year. Forty percent of those people said they were extremely happy or very happy with their lives.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"If asexuality is indeed a form of sexual orientation, perhaps it will not be long before the issue of "A" pride starts attracting more attention," New Scientist says.

Agreed, check it out, they have their own website.

More power to them! Rather than saving their desires until marriage, or expressing themselves like so many now do, they are not expressing themselves at all.

Activists have already started campaigning to promote awareness and acceptance of asexuality.

Some may think this is just wierd. No, it is not.

Asexuality: it"s not just for amoebas anymore.

Accept them, don"t look down on them.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Thats the stupidest thing ive heard in awhile. I mean gosh. Sorry everyone but sex between a man and a women is needed to further life on this planet! Period. NO arguing about it. IF everyone was gay or asexual we would only live for one generation. NOw does that seem like someting something GOd would design...well lets not even make this a GOd issue. Is taht something evolution or nature would put in people???? DOesnt sound like what natures all about.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Thats the stupidest thing ive heard in awhile. I mean gosh. Sorry everyone but sex between a man and a women is needed to further life on this planet! Period. NO arguing about it. IF everyone was gay or asexual we would only live for one generation. NOw does that seem like someting something GOd would design...well lets not even make this a GOd issue. Is taht something evolution or nature would put in people???? DOesnt sound like what natures all about.

excellent point.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Sky News Link

i think their slogan is pretty funny

Asexuality: It's not just for amoebas any more

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Or...1 out of 100 is that ugly that nobody wants to have sex with them?

- can't believe only 3% of the mankind is gay. Okay, Cologne is an extreme example with 10% gay but as far as I remember there is higher a gayness ratio for mammals. Would wonder me if humans are special in this and not as gay as other mammals.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Why? Because we have such a population deficit at the moment? On the contrary, having a percentage of the population be gay & especially asexual works in God's evolutionary plan quite nicely--considering exactly how many people are currently on this planet! A lot more humane than "Soylent Green"esque scenarios that might have to kick in in 30 years if breeding keeps going at the rate it's going...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
"We're here, we're not queer. But we're not straight either!! Actually we really dont care. WHOOO!!!!"

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yeah I would have to agree with this being good for evolution, we could definately do with a few less people on this planet.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I wonder how our fundamentlist Christian freinds will bode with this....

Deep

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Too bad they didnt also test the IQ of the participants, because I have a sneaking suspicion those 1% were smarter than the rest. Given the problems of society and the world, it seems kind of wrong to bring a child into this mess that they will inherit from us.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
asexual=married with children

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
damn these people are missing out

drugs, sex, rock and roll

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sounds like the Catholic Church could use a few of them!!

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I ditto the post that says asexual = married/w children.

Absolutely! AND ... it's an AQUIRED sexuality. Definately
chosen and not born this way.

Asexuality is very real. For those of you who don't believe
it .... recheck those thoughts when you have been
married 20 years and have 2 or 3 kids and you are running
around on different schedules and working and taking care
of things and .....

PRESTO! You have asexuality.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I believe that the problem on the decreased of sexual desire is due to the high stress in society that we have now in modern times, sexuality and sex are the meanings of the continuation of the species so is a natural thing but when stress starts to interfere with a natural human part then we may be having some serious problems.

Its not natural no to experiences desires.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I think it is good that people recognise that with sexuality one-size-does-NOT-fit -all.

Being gay, when i was young i tried repressing my sexuality. All it seemed to do was leave me constantly thinking about sex. [Abstinence makes the heart/loins grow fonder].

For those of you who can't see beyond evolution's functional aspect of sex for procreation, fail to recognize that overpopulation is a rising and very relevant problem in the real world.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Flyersfan, I had problems with my wife until we started reading the Bible together, if you haven't tried this it is great. And it is great with the children, we have two of them years eleven and thirteen. When me and my wife read the Bible, it is the best foreplay ever.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Marg6043, When I am stressed I just pick up the Bible and read it for about 15 minutes and my stress is all gone, trust me I owne a company and get very stressed at times. The Lord will help you if you trust in him and pray.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Flyersfan, I forgot to mention that me and my wife have been together over 20 years and sex is better now than when we first met even though we still have children at home. I am 43 and my wife is 42 and it is all due to our faith in the Bible and GOD and our LORD JESUS CHRIST. He will help you if you seek him, it is up to you.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm certainly not anti-gay, or anti-asexual for that matter...but we Americans get more and more like the Romans every day...
....Now we're just deciding - hey - let's just end our species right now...no more sex...

Next thing ya know, parents will be pushing asexuality onto their ripe crops of test tube babies...

[edit on 10/14/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join