It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you actually have a BOB, BOV, and BOL???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Well it's a way of determining if you're crazy or not Cuz if you're the only one, then ya you're crazy! ha ha ;-p

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I do not have a bug out location. I have a bug in location. Which is where I currently live. A nice, quiet and secluded chunk of Idaho surrounded by farm land and forest. In the event of any major cataclysm, I have no reason to run anywhere.

I live about 25 miles from the nearest town. I raise cattle. I have a small garden. I have a well and a free flowing creek running through the property. If I need to grow more food, I have plenty of land to expand the garden into (40 acres). Plus there are wheat fields on three sides of me. There are tons of deer, turkey, quail, grouse, coyotes, raccoons, rabbits and various other critters that I usually see walking across my front yard early in the morning. I'm good to go on that front. If the power goes out, I can run my generator long enough to come up with a more permanent solution. Which reminds me, I do keep a lot of diesel for my tractor in a gravity feed tank. If I use it in the generator instead of the tractor, I could keep it going for at least a year until the fuel goes bad or runs out.

I do have a Bug Out Vehicle with 4-wheel drive. It is a necessity due to the winters around here. Without it, neither I nor the other locals would be getting anywhere fast. My truck has the ability to go approximately 450 miles with it's 20-gallon tank. If I bring a few gas cans with me, I can go about 900. But there is no reason I would ever need to go so far.

I technically do also have a Bug Out Bag. It's the bag I keep packed for when I go camping and gold panning. It has food, water, tools, flashlights, medical supplies, toilet paper, ammunition, and so much more. Everything I would need when going out to those remote bits of forest I tend to wander into. Hasn't failed me yet.
I do also keep some supplies in my truck, just in case.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
BOV with 1 manpower engine.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by Druscilla

How are you supposed to Stand your ground if there's a nuclear threat or thousands of ground troops occupying your neighborhood ! For myself I have a small bug out bag , knives , fire starter, first aid in my jeep TJ , it's my daily driver. I also have a ATV . I will be heading up to my camp first sign of trouble !

If there's a nuclear threat, you'll probably find out when you see the explosive flash and are blinded by it, or when you're whole body is on fire. Nuclear threat isn't necessarily something told the general public.

Soldiers invading your neighborhood? I'm pretty certain they'll be quite keen about removing weapons and vehicles from private citizens that they might find useful, if your not killed right off for attempting to do something suspicious or anything conspicuous when they show up.

Originally posted by r2d246

If you have a decent BOL go for it, but don't take main roads ever. If you don't then yes stay put I'd say. Ya if you knew how to sail you could go anywhere, but I have heard it's very dangerous too. Especially to try and sail by yourself it's only for professionals, so that's probably out for most people unless you stayed very close to shore but then you might hit bottom quit easy.

Sailing is easy. I do it solo all the time, and it's not difficult. For people with families, it might be easier.
While most people are running for the magical hills which will be crawling with other people also running for these magical hills such that even hunting for a cricket or grubs to eat will be faced with fierce competition, there will be marinas absolutely FULL of super expensive deep water rated sailboats that will never be missed.

Laura Dekker sailed a circumnavigation solo when she was 16 years old.
Sailing is easy.
All one needs is supplies, some common sense, some navigation maps, and just a little bit of know-how.
There will be less competition for resources on the ocean where one can fish for extra food they haven't brought. Wind generators provide plenty of electricity for radio, making fresh water, lights and other such and the wind itself provides power to go anywhere on the planet.

Sailing is easier and safer than attempting to compete with millions of other humans that have the same exact plan to run for the hills where these magical hills will be come so infested with people, you'd have been better off staying put, or turning to the dark side of hunting and eating 'long pig'.

Take some sailing lessons. You don't have to own a boat to know how to sail. if ever a SHTF thing happens, then, you'll be free an clear to take ownership of something you might not have ever been able to afford what with most of the good sailboats ranging at a couple $100,000 and into the millions.

Even a cheap sail boat can get you all sorts of places far far away from other people.

Other people are one of the bigger problems when it comes SHTF. Other people means competition for resources, and other people can always be a threat to you and your family. If you're going to have a plan, have a plan that most other people don't. Have a plan to go some where most other people aren't going to go.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
ive gotta a couple of bobs at the house, and in my everyday carry bag i keep a fire steel, water filter straw , emergency blanket, couple of knives, leatherman kick, trash bag , paracord, zip ties and some other odds and ends,. this stuff only takes up one pocket of my messenger bag and i still have plenty of room for my lunch and water. its not much, but enough to do what i gotta do to get to where i gotta go, if i am not taken out when the shtf.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I have a bugout house, I live in it. It has a bug-out shower,bug out toilet and a bug out TV. I even have a pet bug out dog.
Yeah im going to be living in my home while all the survivalists are running around in the woods "self defending" each other to death.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

My view living in the UK that it is pointless as there is nowhere safe to go.

edit on 13-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
what about a USK,
urban survival kit...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
No BOB, BOV or BOL...

I do have a BAG - sleeping bag - in the trunk of my car, incase i'm stranded on a cold night somewhere.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't have one made up, but I've got the gear and the bag.

I figure I'll need different contents depending on the scenario. All the gear is in the camping cupboard and I can just quickly pack it depending on the actual doom scenario which could be one of at least 2 dozen possibilities. I just need a checklist for each scenario so that I don't forget anything in the mad rush out the door.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
1) How many of you actually have a BOB ready at all times by the door so you can grab it and go?

2) have a BOV, that has say 4x4 or AWD room enough to sleep in and sleeping gear and fuel for say 1000kms

3) and a BOL that you could go to at anytime fully stocked and ready in case of an emergency?

I'm just curious as to how many have this kind of stuff. Whether they think it's even necessary or just being paranoid. I guess in the idea world it would be good to have some of these as a back up. I can't say yes to all but one day I'd like to.

I have all of the above brotha.

my wifes , my kids and my own BOB's are in the closet by our front door. Ready to rock and role.
I have a 55gal drum of gasoline in the backyard along with 2 smaller 5 gal drums of fuel.
Also a 55 gal drum full of fresh drinking water, aswell as 2 smaller 5 gallon containers with water.

As for my BOV, I have a Chevy Tahoe, its not a 4x4 though

And as for my BOL...yeah I have one. Its within one tank of gas and Im not tellin you where it is.

Whats that boyscout motto?.........oh yeah....always be prepared.
Have a nice day.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I have a 500cc dirtbike, shotgun and a pistol. I think I can forage for what ever else I need.

bring on "The Road"

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have no Bob, I have a car always gassed up. I have supplies to survive for about a month or so for the family. I won't be leaving anyway, I'm not going to run and get cramped up in a motel, the food will kill me. Someone has to stay and watch after things, that'll be me.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004

How are you supposed to Stand your ground if there's a nuclear threat or thousands of ground troops occupying your neighborhood ! For myself I have a small bug out bag , knives , fire starter, first aid in my jeep TJ , it's my daily driver. I also have a ATV . I will be heading up to my camp first sign of trouble !

if you can, i would make sure you ALWAYS fill your BOV back up when you use it.

especially if it doubles as your daily driver.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have a BOL- Bug Out Life!!!

I live where everyone will be dreaming of running to. I am there building a sustainable life with my neighbors and other self-reliant people. If you're bugging out, it's too late. The most you will ever have is the leftovers from others. Make a change in your life now. Go where you want to end up and make a new life there. When TSHTF you can sit back and have a beer while you watch the rabbits run.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Everyone should have a 72 hour bag ready to go. The pets as well.

Not for some crazy communist invasion or new world order take over but if your home should ever burn and you have to jump out of your house you'll have some comforts and supplies to see you through those crappy motel nights.

Doesn't hurt to have one in the car either. A hurricane kept me from returning home some years ago for two days due to massive flooding taking out many streets. That bag had cash, clothing, toiletries, some snacks etc...

Sure, the world wouldnt end if I didnt have that stuff but it was nice that I did and I was thankful.

It's better than being a couch surfing mooch.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yep! I have a BOB ready to go in my vehicle, which is also 4WD as well. I have it ready to go at all times, and take it out and go through it about every two months...you know, reorganizing it, etc, etc. It's great thing to have. Peace through preparedness folks!

Though my "home" is my "BOL". I live in the boonies.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
BOV with 1 manpower engine.

definately, back when i was single. cant fit the wife and kids on the back of mine though.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I get what you are saying, although the way to get around the hurricane thing is to not live where there are hurricanes...
The thing up here would be wildfire. And we do try to be ready for that, but it's not quite the same as thinking a BOB will let you survive the end of the world.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I refuse to have a BOB.

I think if you rely on a BOB your already dead. Instead, I have knowledge in my head. As long as my head is still on my shoulders, I can find/make anything I would stick in a Bob.

I have been through enough hurricanes where we were not prepared for what was to happen. We learned to survive and know how to do it again. Being able to find or make your survival tools, and being comfortable doing so gives you an advantage your neighbors won't have.

You are a scary individual that i can relate too.
It's is a sad thought but all those "former zombies now dead for real" will leave behind most of what mankind will need to survive along whatever path a survivor chooses.

Some self protection and basic survival tools will do the trick.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join