It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nokia Lumia 920 Hands-On

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

99,9% of advertisements are "lies". When you see that nice picture of a new car model it's likely it's a composite from +30 photos and the car itself is a 3D model. That delicious dish of food is likely undercooked, plastic or sprayed with oil to make it look good. Not to mention the models etc. etc.
Nokia is just rare that their lie was made by a bunch of amateurs. Also the sample shots from the camera itself were real. This was "demonstration" of the possibilities according to them.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Xperia!! That sony crap. I wouldnt give one to my mean old granny even if it was for free. I am not that heartless.

Xperia...HAHAHAHAHA. How do you start it? With a hand crank from an old T-ford?
edit on 8-9-2012 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
My girlfriend has the Lumia 900 and im very unimpressed. Its a very bulky phone thats hard to fit in pockets, I dig the new Windows version on it much better then back in HTD HD2 days thankfully, but it still has some of its old problems, the text prediction isn't up to par with iPhone, the phone is clunky and slow at times and the customization sucks, can't even add a background photo to the home screen. They give you a selection of bright somewhat obnoxious colors and if the phone displays bright colors the battery drains quicker then it normally would, the screen is optimized for dark colors. Great camera though and a good phone to watch movies on, it's also a very powerful phone in terms of processor size but IMO the power needs to be utilized in a different way.

The 920 looks to have similar dimensions as the 900 albeit slightly more curved but consider me uninterested, Ill stick with my 32gb 3GS that's still running strong.
edit on 8-9-2012 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsphil
Ill stick with my 32gb 3GS that's still running strong.

It used to be a good phone. Too bad Apple ruined it with iOS5. It's so slow, laggy and crash prone now. Also, 3.5" display is ridiculously small for browsing the internet (if you do that kind of thing with your phone).

ps. your 3GS is thicker than the Lumia 900 (12.3 mm vs 11 mm), which you call bulky.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli
Gotta love mindless consumerism and materialism.

You're just mad you get bad signal all the way up there in your ivory tower.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter

Xperia!! That sony crap.

Coming from someone who actually admits to wanting a Windows Phone? Sorry but the spec of the Lumia 920 is practically identical to the Xperia S. Pretty much the same dual core 1.5ghz Snapdragon cpu, practically the same Adreno GPU, both have 32gb internal and a gig of ram. The Sony has a better camera and a better display. It also runs any flavour of Android unlike the crippled WP8. Sorry chum but the Lumia isn't going to blow anyone away. Well except you and we've all seen your technical prowess.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers

Originally posted by johncarter

Xperia!! That sony crap.

Coming from someone who actually admits to wanting a Windows Phone? Sorry but the spec of the Lumia 920 is practically identical to the Xperia S. Pretty much the same dual core 1.5ghz Snapdragon cpu, practically the same Adreno GPU, both have 32gb internal and a gig of ram. The Sony has a better camera and a better display. It also runs any flavour of Android unlike the crippled WP8. Sorry chum but the Lumia isn't going to blow anyone away. Well except you and we've all seen your technical prowess.

But we all know that Android is bad code and doesn't ran that smoothly even on quadcore CPUs (e.g. GS3). Meanwhile, at least WP 7.5, is butter smooth even on 1 GHz single core CPUs. So, Lumia 920 and Xperia S, on the same CPU, the former is probably a lot faster. In the camera department, Lumia 920 wipes the floor with Xperia S, check e.g. the Verge, there's no question. Lumia 920's display is larger and has a higher resolution than Xperia S's, so it probably wins there too. Also, unlike the Sony phone, Lumia 920 phone can be used with gloves on. For people living in the higher latitudes, that is a massive advantage.

p.s. If you care about your privacy you shouldn't be using Android, iOS or WP. Down with walled gardens, Meego and FOSS FTW.
edit on 8-9-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Not bad hardware shame about the software though. I just can't get passed that crappy metro interface, yuk!
Nokia should of stayed with Maemo/Meego instead of going with M$'s crap.
It's a pity that Nokia will never make a successor to the legendary N900

edit on 8-9-2012 by yizzel because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Why is it so large?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

On the camera, Ive read the Verge article on the 920's camera and while it does rate it well it does not directly compare it with that of the Xperia S which has one of the best camera CMOS going (used in Sony's own range of DLSR and in some Nikon units). Sorry but the 920 camera is inferior, of that there is little question. As for the software, I have little issue with the smoothness of Android, even with Sony's bloatware thrown in. The dispaly difference, well there isn't a whole lot in it. The 920 has a larger display sure, a whole 0.2 in, and a few more pixels (768x1280 vs 720x1280) , but then the Xperia S crams in more pixels per inch so in reality its probably marginally better than the 920 in resolution terms even though the display is slightly smaller.

Ok so I can use the Lumia with gloves on, I shall remember than next time I'm off to Everest. Though if I was weight would be an issue and the Lumia weighs a ton so... meh.

edit on 9-9-2012 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Do you have any source about the inferior camera on 920? Technically it is superior to sony's.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
Havn't Nokia gone broke yet? They have been waiting for the whole Windows Phone platform to take off, meanwhile their losses quadruple. Anyone with any tech sense knows Windows mobile platforms have always been rubbish and the consumer just isn't interested in an over simplified and uninspiring front end while the back end is old hat locked up tighter than a ducks anus. Get out Nokia, while you still have a modicum of reputation and let the Windows Phone OS die the death it so readily deserves.

Haha i was thinking the same thing. They refused to go with android and that hurt them, a lot.

The thing is with IOS and windows is that it is limited for developers. There is such a huge dev following for android because it is open source and that is the way it should be.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

There is a million android handsets out there. Nokia would of gotten drowned out, windows is their only choice for survival.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Kutas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by heyitsphil
Ill stick with my 32gb 3GS that's still running strong.

It used to be a good phone. Too bad Apple ruined it with iOS5. It's so slow, laggy and crash prone now. Also, 3.5" display is ridiculously small for browsing the internet (if you do that kind of thing with your phone).

ps. your 3GS is thicker than the Lumia 900 (12.3 mm vs 11 mm), which you call bulky.

It's a good thing Im still running 4.2 then, and I don't do a lot of web browsing on my phone.

Ps, the 3GS is nowhere near as wide as the Lumia, have you ever held one in your hand and had one in your pocket?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join