It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green UFO video - Alexandra, Johannesburg, SA September 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

JOHANNESBURG - The images obtained by The Citizen from various sources depict green circular shapes of light moving in the night sky last week.

“I saw strange green lights over what I think was Alexandra Township,” said Paul Fulton. “It was freaky and I’m trying to find out what they were.”

After viewing a video of one of the sightings on The Citizen’s facebook page, Malette Snyman presumed it was a laser from a night club, while Nishlan Naicker speculated the lights were Chinese lanterns.
Source and more

There is very little information about the UFO in the source article, but it does have the video which is quite interesting. It resembles a laser show/light - only it was a cloudless night as far as I know. It remains stationary throughout the video... The object slowly drifts to the left as VVV pointed out later in the thread. Pity the video is so short - I'll see if I can find some more background/info on the story.

VIDEO download link
edit on 3-9-2012 by Gemwolf because: Added video embed

edit on 3-9-2012 by Gemwolf because: Corrected statement.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Can't find any additional information. The video was originally posted on The Citizen's Facebook Page on 31 August 2012 with a short description:

Jabu Khanye sent this to The Citizen. Its photo of 'weird lights' over Alexandra township this week. He wants to know if anyone knows what they were?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
It appears to be an LED Balloon array escaped into the wild.
Here's one that pulses through different colors:

LED balloon arrays vary widely in complexity and design.
The one displayed in the video above, is certainly a higher end setup with color variability.
The green "UFO" video appears to be similar, but without color variance.

edit on 3-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It looks like Green Lantern's ring.

Good video if real, disappointing if faked.
It's less than 30secs long. That hurts the credibility.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It doesn't appear to be stationary. It appears to be drifting slowly from right to left. Would appear as if it is wind blown.

It is interesting indeed, a laser show, i doubt though.

Chinese lanterns? Not so sure either.

If you compare the size of the object with the street lights, it seems to be of a decent size, bigger than a chinese lantern.

I hope some more people come forward maybe with some more footage.

vvv

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

It what way is it possibly fake???

There is something in the sky, the guy recorded it.

Even, if the object is something mundane, the video is still not fake.

vvv

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Either this, or an "air laser" on standby.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Verskoon my!

(you're all South African here it appears lol)

It looks to me, the camera is digitally zoomed mostly, but it is largely out of focus, and when it does seem to sweep into focus, it seems as if its some sort of balloon-float-thingo.

It's a pity the night sky is so conducive to phenomenon because they always appear at night. We see a few dots, and assume the dimensions in between. 3 dots is a triangle ship. etc.

Night scenes are impossible. But this I doubt is an effort in fakery. Just something the guy didn't know what was, and here we are.. again!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Just a thought but could this have something to do with the A MAZE festival held in Johannesburg between 28 August - 2 September 2012 which "celebrates the convergence of Games, Art, and Society" .

Playful interventions and performances in public spaces
Exhibitions with interactive audiovisual installations
Workshops on the creative work with technology
www.goethe.de...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Just a thought but could this have something to do with the A MAZE festival held in Johannesburg between 28 August - 2 September 2012 which "celebrates the convergence of Games, Art, and Society" .

Playful interventions and performances in public spaces
Exhibitions with interactive audiovisual installations
Workshops on the creative work with technology
www.goethe.de...

Winner. That would explain the outdoor light presentation.

This thread can be closed now.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Winner. That would explain the outdoor light presentation. This thread can be closed now.

Well, Braamfontein where the even was held, is rather far from Alexander Township.

Not so sure if this is case closed mate.

vvv

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by DaTroof

Winner. That would explain the outdoor light presentation. This thread can be closed now.

Well, Braamfontein where the even was held, is rather far from Alexander Township.

Not so sure if this is case closed mate.

vvv

OP's source only "thinks" it was Alexandra Township. Not enough to convince me the source knows the location.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

OP's source only "thinks" it was Alexandra Township. Not enough to convince me the source knows the location.

So a guy living there, won't know the areas surrounding the city he lives in?

vvv

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by DaTroof

So a guy living there, won't know the areas surrounding the city he lives in?

vvv

Correct.

I live very close to Chicago but couldn't tell you what streets make what neighborhoods and districts.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Yes, we often try hard not to know where Alexandra is

(To explain the joke to non-za ATS members, due to the mostly brain dead apartheid policies, you have this very poor neighborhood smack in the middle of some of the most expensive real estate in the country. )

Distance from braamfontein to Alex is 15 to 20km, so a biggish mistake to make, but not impossible, depending on where you are. Especially if it's quite a big display.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Looks like a high voltage neon sign yet perhaps possible without neon and just high voltage.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
All I see is a poor quality camera; recording what could be green laser pointers mounted to a fan reflecting off a too dark to see object.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
All I see is a poor quality camera; recording what could be green laser pointers mounted to a fan reflecting off a too dark to see object.

I own several powerful green lasers, and just an FYI for you, they do not reflect or stop in the sky when there are no clouds in the sky..

Whatever this is in the sky, it certainly is not a laser being shined there, since it was a cloudless night there..
If you mean someone is flying some object and using it to have lasers shown on it, well that is a possibility, but one I haven't heard of before..
Not a bad idea, but then keeping the laser on it while projecting through an optical device that creates a pattern would be totally impossible...

It also doesn't look like any LED lighted remote control device... Need more evidence on this one.
edit on 4-9-2012 by alienreality because: eta

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Perhaps your eyes are better than mine at discerning things in shaky and poor quality videos, the projection surface I was referring to was off a dark building not visible due to poor quality not clouds etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Just thought I would settle this, as it has come to light what it was.

After thousands of phone calls, emails, messages and tweets received by radio stations and newspapers, it has been revealed that the bright sparks behind the strange lights in the sky are the creative team at Johannesburg-based advertising agency, Ireland/Davenport.

The team lit up the night sky to get the earth-bound citizenry to tune in to Falling Skies (Season II), the hit Stephen Spielberg sci-fi drama that has captured viewers of Fox Entertainment Channel on TopTV, with its story of a group of determined humans, battling to reclaim the planet after an alien invasion.

Despite all the talk of extraterrestrial life forms and tinfoil hats, these particular unidentified flying objects weren’t so much alien, as they were the creative use of balloons and LED lights by a crew of people with the goal of creating a stir and ensuring the continued viewership of Falling Skies.

Source

vvv

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join