It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popul/US (Art...ATS edition)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Is it OK to make two threads in one day? I hope so. I'm just now figuring out this upload business.

Some of you guys should love this one.

Again. If anyone has any tips/tricks on how to upload a more quality image, let me know.

Mixed media (Acrylic, oil, old clippings) collage on wood. NO PHOTOSHOP. Old fashioned hardcore razor blades and scissors at it for MONTHS.

Poster prints of this piece measure 10 X 25.

There were several driving motivations behind this piece, and it can be viewed from a few angles.

First, you could look at this piece as representing the Earth's PAST, when maybe, just maybe, we lived on ANOTHER EARTH. An earth that we ruined and built into a giant junk heap before we overpopulated, and fled to our CURRENT EARTH, (notice the earth in the background, and the rocket ship heading out of town). You'll notice that the moon for this earth has gotten too close for comfort ( COULD BE NIBIRU GUYS!!) . Notice the explosions and catastrophe. Even the 9/11 theme is played out in the lower half.

Second, you could look at this piece as representing Earth's FUTURE. Again, with overpopulation, pollution, catastrophe and war, until eventually, our planet is ruined and our Moon (OR NIBIRU for all you crazy ATSers) is coming to kill us, in which case, again, we hop on a rocket ship and head to Earth #3.

You'll notice that the world beneath us has turned to garbage. Skeletons of our consumer goods, miles deep.

Some of these clippings date back almost 100 years, from national geographic publications that were printed in black and white before the high tech chromocolor. I think the oldest magazine sacrificed for this piece was from the early 1930's. Some of the clippings were so thin you could see right through them, and still can.

I made it a point to use stacks of paper, tangles of metal, train tracks, and fine crafted architecture to represent alot of the buildings. The Hindenberg is hid amongst the structures, along with automobile parts, books, and various other objects. Around 1/3 of the buildings aren't buildings at all. Lighting this piece was really fun.

The title of this piece was almost "Man Made".

edit on 31-8-2012 by OneEleven because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2012 by OneEleven because: its fun

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OneEleven

thank you. but, i would like it to be bigger, so i could see the details better.
edit on 31-8-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

thank you. but, i would like it to be bigger, so i could see the details better.

ME TOO!!! ... I really don't get how guys post images so big that it needs a scroll bar. I'm not real internet/forum savy. To upload the way i did the image has to be 500kb. I had to shrink it waaaaaaaaaaay down.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

there should be some kind of converter (open source) out there, where you can lower the resolution, so it has less kilobytes.
when you right click on the original file and hit "properties", what does it say about the resolution ?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

The original is a high quality PDF from the sign shop. It dosn't say anything about resolution. Only that the original file size is 28 MB.

If i pull it into Corel Draw (which is what i did to shrink it...The sign guy told me how to do this), it says that the DPI is 150. The image size is 6X15.
edit on 31-8-2012 by OneEleven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

what about posting it as a external image ? flickr, for example or others. you could upload it full size with full resolution. these upload sites have a enlarging function, too.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That should be a little better.

I'd be worried about posting full size full resolution pics out of fear of someone stealing them. I work really hard on these.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

why ? you can put a watermark on your images with "copyrighted" and your interests should be safe.

btw, the people on the bridge, that are going into this "world", where are the coming from ?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

btw, the people on the bridge, that are going into this "world", where are the coming from ?

AHA! good question, and that's the cool thing about art. I can explain to you all day what i was thinking at the time, but ultimately, it's up to the observer to decide what it means to THEM.

It's all up to your interpretation.

So you tell me Icepack. Where are they coming from? And where do they think they're going?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

what came to my mind: these people look like commuters, walking between their homes (idyllic world) and this mad, crowded and overloaded world. funny thing is, they are calm, it is their daily bread, as if they cannot see, they don't realize, how mad it is.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Fun right? I love when you can use your imagination to make a piece of art meaningful to you ...

So.... Just me and IcePack huh?

Man .... I thought this piece would have gotten a better reception here on ATS ... Slow moving sub-forum? Geez, i hope so ...

I don't want to say that my feelings are hurt but uuuuhhhhhh....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

don't get me wrong, but your attitude is not right. you said, you are afraid someone could use your art-work for personal gain and all your effort would be gone. i heard about artists that started a career. they had to give everything out for free, untill they got a name in the art-scene. after that, they got assignments and contracts. my advice is, publish your works everywhere you can, hand it out, gift it. with a little luck, someone will come back to you. the clou is, first giving than taking.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

thanks for the advice pal, but just so you know, the original is already gone, and it was gifted ... It was a hard thing to do to let it go, and i held onto it for a while before giving up my selfishness ...

Sometimes i still regret it .... I just want to see it again, but it's too far away ... I imagine it's in a state of disrepair these days, and i would love to restore it, but ....

I had to let it go ...

P.S.

besides, even here, in this thread, i let go and put it up as big as is allowed ...

I stretched it to the maximum ... If i could get it any bigger i would, because a LOT of detail is missed at this size...

No watermarks ... No copyrights (although my signature is hidden there) ... Feel free to take it, print it, use it as an Avatar or whatever you guys would like to do ...
edit on 10-9-2012 by OneEleven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

have you asked experts on this topic ?
i don't know, maybe this here has some tips, you haven't heard of yet:
www.ehow.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

thanks for the extra effort icepack, but i'm not really looking to get published ...

Here, on ATS, i just want people to like it ... Thats all ...

Out here i sell it ... On ATS, i'm just seeking approval, (or the dreaded disapproval) ...

Thanks again Pack...

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, wonderful, I love it..

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wow that's amazing!
It's not my style, but I like this piece.
Cool how you managed to combine all that different perspectives.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

An excellent piece of work! I love it. Am arranging a Wine Tasting Art exhibition with 5 course meal at the Italian fine dining restaurant where I work. How I wish I could have this piece there! I am selecting local artist, unknown artists to give them a chance to get their work out there without the shark galleries' 50% commission! Viva la Artista!

I cannot understand why such good work posted here on ATS do not achieve Flags and Stars. Please explain to me anyone?

So, if I could I would star you over and over and flag it from here where I sit right across the world and back again!

My single little star and flag to this, is NOT an indication of your work's worth. Please remember that.

Credit should be given where credit is deserved.

Come on people??

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky

I cannot understand why such good work posted here on ATS do not achieve Flags and Stars. Please explain to me anyone?

So, if I could I would star you over and over and flag it from here where I sit right across the world and back again!

My single little star and flag to this, is NOT an indication of your work's worth. Please remember that.

Credit should be given where credit is deserved.

Come on people??

Whew ... I was starting to think i was in backward land or something ... hahahaha ... Seriously, my feelings were HURT! ... hahahaha ...

Thanks alot ... I starred you right back ...

I'd be glad to send you a free print to use at an art exhibition if you promise to send me a picture OF the piece in an exhibition, or just hanging in a resturaunt ...

Have you seen my Tire Swing? May be more suitable for a wining and dining type of setting ...

This collage tends to scare 'normals' ....

Thanks to ALL of the replies ...

To the person that commented on perspective, i should let you know that i would get dizzy when working on the lower half ... It underwent quite a few transformations ... You should have seen it the first time around .... Almost drove me nuts looking at it ...

This piece gave me 'nightmares' for the months that i was working on it .... I would dream that i was picking and placing actual buildings by hand ...

I say nightmare because i would work on this thing all day, then go to sleep, dream about it all night, and wake right back up to the piece ... ugh ...

THANKS ALOT GUYS!! .... Your replies really brightened my day ....

new topics

top topics

join