It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maya Prince's Tomb Found With Rare Drinking Vessel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
There are constantly new finds in the ruins of the Mayan civilization as archeoligist digs deeper to uncover the historie. Some are small but can give a good look in to the people of the Mayan kingdom, i like those story's.

Some places are hard to come by, as they are only accessible to archaeologists for two to three months a year during the dry season.
One of those places are the ruined city of Uxul, which was ruled by the dynasty of Calakmul, located in Mexico near the Guatemalan border.

Source
Additional info

Excavating a remote Maya palace in the ruined city of Uxul, archaeologists in Mexico have uncovered the ancient tomb of a young prince—and a rare artifact.

Even though this place has been looted in the past, they still find some untouched tomb's, where the latest contained the fossilized body of a young man/prince and some nice ceramic drinking wessel, with some inscription.

On one cup, "there was a simple message ... in elegantly modeled hieroglyphics that read: '[This is] the cup of the young man/prince,'" team member Nikolai Grube, an anthropologist at Germany's University of Bonn, said in a late-July statement
Another cup bears a date, which Grube and colleague Kai Delvendahl interpret to mean the year A.D. 711, giving some indication as to when the prince lived and died..

They are hopeful they will find more tombs, and i'm looking forward to hear more.

edit on 31-8-2012 by Mianeye because: Spelling and such

edit on 31-8-2012 by Mianeye because: I suck at gramma

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Mianeye
What a wonderful find..The cup is just beautiful ..Seems like the archeologist's are finding new things everyday..Thank you so much for the thread i just love this kind of thing..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

very very cool.
I always enjoy new fascinating inroads being made in archaeology.

Well done!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Nice find!

S & F !!!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It depresses me to no end that Mexico is so volatile a country. It prevents any real forward motion (archaeologically speaking) in the region from taking place. As such, topics like this are awesome. I hope you keep us informed of any new info they happen to come up with.

One has to imagine what all could have been found in South America/Mexico in regards to archeology if there weren't so many unsavory characters running about down there....

Looters make me very angry.

Drug czars who would hold scientists hostage rather than learn about their own cultural history make me even angrier.

top topics

join