It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empaths and thier "powers" fiction or reality?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
nevermind!

lol... been saying that a lot today!
edit on 31-8-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I am what can be considered to be a strong empath. As for it being a "special" power. I don't think so. Many animals read emotion. Dogs are a great example because most people have one. Your dog knows how you feel feel even though you can't speak in any understandable way to them. Human empathy is the same. The real difference is as a human we can conceptualize and interpret what we feel in logical ways.
I can read a persons emotional state without ever having to hear them speak or even really see them. Though seeing helps in interpretation. I can in a small way manipulate a normal persons emotional state by overlaying my own over theirs. I can in large way manipulate a weak persons emotional state by doing the same thing.
So, empathy is a real thing but don't buy into the hype. You aren't special for having it or being able to utilize it. Everyone has the ability. The only real difference is some of us realized it early in life and exercised it. Some of you didn't.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

what did i say wrong ?
I cant swim with dolphins anymore ?

i dont put anyshow compare to you mate
im 100% myself all the time .. are you ?

dont focus on me .. focus on yourself
it is YOU that is important not me
im only a fragment of your imagination
im just an illusion on your screen
why would you put your energy on me ?
you think being an empath is retarded or what ?
been feeling others emotions all my life because i have control of my own emotions
you dont seem to have that control yet .. some really dont age well

i have a personal advice for you .. think with your heart first not with your head
edit on 8/31/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOMof3
Wow. So many of my own thoughts expressed here. I thought I was alone or a little bit crazy. I realized this ability as child. I grew up in an abusive home and "learned" to read emotions to avoid danger. This ability saved me from many dangers ie. rape, beatings. Much more complicated than that, but that is how it began as I remember.

See, this ^ is what I hear again and again!
My mother was depressive, and could go into moments of violence or suicidal behavior, and I just had to learn to sense when a crisis was coming on, to save myself, my siblings, or her, from herself!

The man that was one of the main inspirations for the character in "The Horse Whisperer", (and who did the horsehandling, and doubling for Redford in the film version), Buck Brannaman, has an amazing empathic sense, and has really learned how to use it- not only with animals, but with people. I have experienced it first hand from him.
He often tells the stories of his childhood, in which his father was a violent drunk, and his mother was a diabetic, and his brother and he had to save his mother at times, or save themselves, relying on their intuition and subtle senses. I think this is where his abilities began to be developed. It is a pattern one can find repeatedly in people.

Not all of us learn to use this constructively though.

edit on 31-8-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Thank you for this post. I am 61 and thought I was the only one who had this ability. I have always felt like a "square peg trying to fit in a round hole". I really thought there was something wrong with me mentally. This made my day!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnCreed777
Ok, so i'm doing some research on 'empaths', people with the supposed ability to read peoples emotions, and to some have the ability to manilpulate others emotions. Just to clarify im not relying on ATS for info, i'd just like to hear the other side of it along with other opinions.

On one website I read that empaths are said to feel others emotions and interpret them. Then on another sight I read about, empathic manipulation. According to the source, this is when an empath manipulates either their emotions or someone else' and can use it as power, it also said that its very dangerous. To me personally this sounds a bit far fetched. However as I said i'd like to hear both sides. I've seen some "evidence" on youtube but it's as you might guess, inconclusive. Its usually some kid in a video game shirt scrunching his face like he's constipated. I mean no offense.

Are there any 'empaths' here on ats? If so what can you tell me? If not id like to hear your side too.
Thank, your time is much appreciated.

If I can find the links ill post them here.

I have been known to without thinking manipulating reality to answer questions for me. You think about something you wanna find out that can be a personal thing about another person and within a day or two something have happened so you will have your answer. Never used it for personal materalistic gain or to hurt people (but personal understanding gain I have gotten). It is called synchronicity and it can be really cool in the beginning. After a year of it is just how you percieve reality as working.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I believe the "Empathy Manipulation" that the OP speaks of is more like projecting your emotions onto others..I have unintentionally done that I believe.Could just be a coincidence I suppose..but its a little too coincidental sometimes.Example,I would get really really angry at something,then shortly after the rest of my roommates start viciously arguing with each other.Or maybe its even responsible for those phenomenon when you are thinking or getting a feeling of something you wanna do or say,then someone does or says it first letting you remain silent without having to make the request?If that makes any sense..
I am a very empathic,can practically completely read a person by just sight or even deeper if we exchange a couple words.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Being empathic isn't a power. It is the ability to absorb or feel the feelings of someone else. Those aren't abilities whatsoever...its more like intuition.

Many people BRAG as if it were a power because the idea plays on their need to feel "special"...but sadly, EVERYONE HAS IT.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Serenity777 because: to add...

edit on 31-8-2012 by Serenity777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serenity777
Being empathic isn't a power. It is the ability to absorb or feel the feelings of someone else. Those aren't abilities whatsoever...its more like intuition.

Many people BRAG as if it were a power because the idea plays on their need to feel "special"...but sadly, EVERYONE HAS IT.

I disagree somewhat. Though I think it is an innate part of being human, I think that everyone develops it to different levels.
We may all be capable of subconscious sensorial receptivity, but our early life experience and education can influence how introspective our awareness is. In some cases, a person can learn to ignore and be totally unaware of their internal changes, except the most extreme or strong emotions. That makes them similarly less aware of the changes in those around them.

That is not a "power" in my mind, though if a person who has a highly developed sensitivity learns to use it, it can be. Just like a person may have an ear for music , but will not be a skilled musician unless they put in years of work to learn to use it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Serenity777

Why is it sad that everyone has it? Odd comment that kind of belies your own need to feel "special" it would seem.
I know very few people that are tuned in to the emotional state of others. It is so rare in fact that, as a rule I keep the knowledge of my ability to myself. Of everyone I know there are only 3 people who know about it. I have, in the past, talked about it but I received strange looks at best, at worst I lost a friend or two because they though "I had lost my mind with this hippie bulls--t".
I think it is perceived as some special ability by society at large even though we know that it isn't.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I don't think that's always the case though, I had some social issues in school but I was never really abused or anything, I think my strong empathic abilities where inheritted. My mother is also a strong empath and I suspect my biological father (whom I'm no close to) may also have latent empathic ability because he can be very manipulative.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnCreed777

on another sight I read about, empathic manipulation. According to the source, this is when an empath manipulates either their emotions or someone else' and can use it as power, it also said that its very dangerous.

you are onto somthing with this statement as i see it, this is to do with someones intentions the way i can describe it is like that little voice inside of you intently directing a force willfully (subconciously or unconciously???) my sister in law is one of these manipulators it can drive you insane it nearly did with me and destroyed any realtion my brother had with me and me family.!! i have felt with my heart and soul that she was someone to not get involved in so did my brother we could not put our finger on it but relayed on our intuition he even told me to stay away from her i still dont know how even though his spirit rejected her he ended up with her!

your right by saying it is dangerous.

i hope this makes sense

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
While I wouldn't consider myself a so-called Empath I usually have always had very strong abilties to sense emotion in other people. Sometimes that sense has been towards would 'could' happen. Good example:

On my 18th birthday I was to go see my dad for the weekend. Was his turn. Something told me I shouldn't. That I should stay home. Dad was pissed. Mom asked why and I said because something was wrong with Grandma (without even realizing I was saying it --- the words just spilled out). She died that evening quite suddenly and thankfully I was there with my mother to take care of her. Same thing happened with my Grandfather and my Aunt. I just new. Also new when my parents dog died (or rather that something was wrong. Also had a girlfriend die in a car accident (told her not to take a certain route on the way home, she did and was fatally injured). I nearly collapsed in school and started crying (I don't normally cry). I called her sister and she told me she was in the hospital. Now I'm not saying that makes me an empath or psychic, I could simply be very lucky and be a huge coincidence. Who knows. I've never really thought about it to be honest as I've spoken to others with good intuition and never really thought of it as bizarre.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

Im an empath and its real. Of course some who arent one will clain to be one, making the real ones look dake by association.

I cant read everyone and dont really try to read anyone. When i get a good strong read i actually feel the emotions. Most of the time i have to meet someone to read them, but i dont need contact at all to do the read. And sometimes i can read peoples mind and understand what theyre thinking better than they do. Ive busted people trying to manipulate me with my intuition alone and had verified it later. Of course they insist im wrong and theyre not lying but i read that as a lie too.

I dont try to understand it or prove it to anyone, i just use my powers to try to help the world.

I also went a year without brushing my teeth

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
reply to post by Serenity777

Why is it sad that everyone has it? Odd comment that kind of belies your own need to feel "special" it would seem.
I know very few people that are tuned in to the emotional state of others. It is so rare in fact that, as a rule I keep the knowledge of my ability to myself. Of everyone I know there are only 3 people who know about it. I have, in the past, talked about it but I received strange looks at best, at worst I lost a friend or two because they though "I had lost my mind with this hippie bulls--t".
I think it is perceived as some special ability by society at large even though we know that it isn't.

To Serenity777. I know you are trying to limit ego and that might be good but I do not think empath is a ego thing. I would say in this state of the world it more a curse than a gift. I am from my point of view very fortunate at this stage to be an introvert with very little need for human contact. I am not an empath and have clearly made sure I have as litte sensativity as I can toward what humans feel around me to shield myself. That do not mean I do not have empathy towards other people but I think it is better for me to stay peaceful inside and push that outward than to take in what other people have an dissrupt my sense of self and tranqulity. I have enought problem with my own ego/mind and duality notions. Help your self and others but do not destroy yourself helping others. This is a maraton not a sprint and there will always be people needing help. Every souls is special in it's own way. Please treasure that. Hawkmoon1972 I hope you can handle it and I wish you luck.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well I don't believe in any of this. But if it is real then these empaths need to be hunted down and exterminated for the greater good.

If they truly have the power to alter your emotions then they are freakishly dangerous.There is nothing stopping them from causing our world leaders to become so angry at each other that they launch nukes in a fit of rage. There is nothing stopping them from causing you to go berserk and murder everything in sight. There is nothing stopping them from making you so sad that you commit suicide. This makes them too dangerous to us "normals".

Or, more likely, they are actually powerless and just dream of being special.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by powerdrone
While I wouldn't consider myself a so-called Empath I usually have always had very strong abilties to sense emotion in other people. Sometimes that sense has been towards would 'could' happen. Good example:

On my 18th birthday I was to go see my dad for the weekend. Was his turn. Something told me I shouldn't. That I should stay home. Dad was pissed. Mom asked why and I said because something was wrong with Grandma (without even realizing I was saying it --- the words just spilled out). She died that evening quite suddenly and thankfully I was there with my mother to take care of her. Same thing happened with my Grandfather and my Aunt. I just new. Also new when my parents dog died (or rather that something was wrong. Also had a girlfriend die in a car accident (told her not to take a certain route on the way home, she did and was fatally injured). I nearly collapsed in school and started crying (I don't normally cry). I called her sister and she told me she was in the hospital. Now I'm not saying that makes me an empath or psychic, I could simply be very lucky and be a huge coincidence. Who knows. I've never really thought about it to be honest as I've spoken to others with good intuition and never really thought of it as bizarre.

Synchronicity and Psychic. I know many people are looking at Hollywood when it comes to Psychics but I do not thinks it is like that for most. I do not even think it is unusual at all and most people who keep atention can do it. If you start feeling preasure on the middle of the forehead then it is a bit more unusual and then you start playing around with the pineal gland. My mom could always get me to come home for food when I was younger by just thinking I should come home. That ability dissapeared when I became more introverted from my experiance of the social structure around me.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just started the thread, so if someone else has said this sorry for the repeat...

I believe we are all born empathic. We have no walls to stop the info from coming in, no filter. As we get older and others tell us "that can't be real" (ex imaginary friends and so forth) we block it out and can no longer feel or see any more. Some of us never build the walls, I am one of those, never built the walls because no one ever told me I was wrong.

Reading the post I have so far it is nice to know this seems to be a common thing

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Well I don't believe in any of this. But if it is real then these empaths need to be hunted down and exterminated for the greater good.

Maybe I should manipulate your thoughts so you wouldn't be so paranoid and delusional. That or, on behalf of the rest of the empaths on ATS make you jump up a cliff? You choose. You have 90 minutes.
edit on 31-8-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foundryman

If they truly have the power to alter your emotions then they are freakishly dangerous.There is nothing stopping them from causing our world leaders to become so angry at each other that they launch nukes in a fit of rage. There is nothing stopping them from causing you to go berserk and murder everything in sight. There is nothing stopping them from making you so sad that you commit suicide. This makes them too dangerous to us "normals".

Or, more likely, they are actually powerless and just dream of being special.

They are in a way. So make sure society change quickly in the right direction so that they will never be pissed of and wanting to do this. Either society evolves with human biological evolution or the # will hit the fan in the end.

But the normals seem to want world war 3 with Russia and China already so you should not worry to much about the people with unusaly developed abilities. Normals seems hellbent to destroy themselves by their own actions even before empaths become the norm. It is almost like normals are wanting to commit collective suicide over politic/corperate greed.

Whatever. Does not matter that much when you see things from the really really extreamly big perspective. Even if they where allowed to destroy humanity totaly it will still not be the end. It never is. Reseed or rellocation of spirits. Life is just a ride and this ride is not even a really good one from my point of view and experiance.

A limiting body. A small mind without enought processing power/memory to understand very complex thought patterns. A psyche that have a hard time accepting the nondual natrue of reality and keep building up dualities. Not that good >3D senses.
edit on 31-8-2012 by apushforenlightment because: Addon

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join