It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listening to Negative People Will Make You Dumb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Naggers Literally Damage Your Brain

Listening to Complainers Is Bad for Your Brain

www.inc.com...

"The brain works more like a muscle than we thought," Blake says. "So if you're pinned in a corner for too long listening to someone being negative, you're more likely to behave that way as well."

Even worse, being exposed to too much complaining can actually make you dumb. Research shows that exposure to 30 minutes or more of negativity--including viewing such material on TV--actually peels away neurons in the brain's hippocampus. "That's the part of your brain you need for problem solving," he says. "Basically, it turns your brain to mush."

www.inc.com...

How is this in relation to the control drama people play daily on internet forums.

I feel dumber.

I skipped the number one in favor of number two reason because I am experiencing that in my own life, and am sick of it.

The next group of people I consider to be negative, are often times the ones I encounter most. They are the people who always have something bad to say about someone else. They are often times jealous, envious, and just plain don’t like to see other people succeed in life. These are people who probably have failed miserably in life, and just want other people miserable with them. Like they say, misery loves company. Do you know someone like this? I’m willing to bet you do. I find it hard for myself to be around these type of people. You are a reflection of the company that you keep. I consider people like this to be very annoying. So what can we do to combat against these type of negative people?

Read more: socyberty.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I agree!
Nice post..

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You become what you surround yourself with.

A good thing to remember in life.

CX.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
You become what you surround yourself with.

A good thing to remember in life.

CX.

So true.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I agree!
Nice post..

TY Sinny, then I feel guilty for not being there when they feel the need to complain.
god help me lol

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The reverse must be true then also.

Now I know why everyone seems to be getting smarter around me; I must be a very positive person, hahaha.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
The reverse must be true then also.

Now I know why everyone seems to be getting smarter around me; I must be a very positive person, hahaha.

Cool , lol

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
i hate being around negative types or losers they just suck the life out of you like vampires happy thoughts happy thoughts

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This article is hypocrisy in its finest. Complaining about complainers? Come on. Its just drivel that tries to condition the minds of people into behaving in a way that they define as socially acceptable. Complaining is is often necessary, to let off steam, or to educate others on what has gone wrong.

True there are those who are completely negative, but far too often I hear people slam people who have legitimate complaints. If we live in a rotten world, then there are obviously going to be people who are caught on the wrong side of it, and have a lot of bad things to say. Its a lot easier to judge someone for complaining than it is to empathise and actually help them. That is equally as negative.

It may seem that some people dont want others to succeed in life and slam those who get ahead, and there are definitelypeople like that. But they dont call it a rat race for nothing. There are a lot of people who will do whatever it takes to get ahead, and in doing so, put themselves in positions where its really hard to do anything about them. Politicians, bankers, religious leaders, etc etc. Complainers about these things may have legitimate complaints, and people find it easier to just label them as negative than actually listen.

Yes negativity breeds negativity, but why shoot the messenger when it is far bigger players who are creating the REAL negativity in this world?
edit on 30-8-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is just another excuse for people to be in-compassionate towards people's struggles.

It reminds me of certain New Agers that don't want to focus on negative because of their "Vibration", meanwhile they allow people to be hurt...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
hi.

george carlin and bill hicks were geniuses.

debunked.

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Reminds me of a quote from Tony Robbins....

"Most people's lives are a direct reflection of the expectations of their peer group."

CX.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
This is just another excuse for people to be in-compassionate towards people's struggles.

It reminds me of certain New Agers that don't want to focus on negative because of their "Vibration", meanwhile they allow people to be hurt...

I understand what you are getting at, but, some people never stop and never have anything good to say.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I spend a lot of time on ATS.... Due to that this postulate is now giving me an anxiety attack... I need an IQ test now...

~Heff

top topics

join