It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Age Flower Blooms After 32000 Years!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

That's because they lied about the time frame of the ice age. It wasn't even close to that long.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thepainweaver

I agree but the process of fossilization is extremely gradual and It is possible that mineralization is not complete

The paleontologist and her colleagues removed mineral fragments from the interior of the femur by soaking it in a weak acid. The fossil dissolved, exposing a flexible, stretchy material and transparent vessels. The vessels resemble blood vessels, cells, and the protein matrix that bodies generate when bones are being formed.

Nat Geo

This shifting perspective clicked with Schweitzer's intuitions that dinosaur remains were more than chunks of stone. Once, when she was working with a T. rex skeleton harvested from Hell Creek, she noticed that the fossil exuded a distinctly organic odor. "It smelled just like one of the cadavers we had in the lab who had been treated with chemotherapy before he died," she says. Given the conventional wisdom that such fossils were made up
entirely of minerals, Schweitzer was anxious when mentioning this to Horner. "But he said, 'Oh, yeah, all Hell Creek bones smell,'" she says. To most old-line paleontologists, the smell of death didn't even register. To Schweitzer, it meant that traces of life might still cling to those bones. She had already seen signs of exceptional preservation in the early 1990s, while she was studying the technical aspects of adhering fossil slices to microscope slides. One day a collaborator brought a T. rex slide to a conference and showed it to a pathologist, who examined it under a microscope. "The guy looked at it and said, 'Do you realize you've got red blood cells in that bone?' " Schweitzer remembers. "My colleague brought it back and showed me, and I just got goose bumps, because everyone knows these things don't last for 65 million years."

Source

Anyways maybe it is not just a rock

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
We're better of concentrating on stop killing off what we have now rather then try & resurrect what used to be. Btw that's a pretty flower, wouldn't mind having one in my garden.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaSpace
We're better of concentrating on stop killing off what we have now rather then try & resurrect what used to be. Btw that's a pretty flower, wouldn't mind having one in my garden.

My thoughts exactly. We are so caught up in finding out what the earth was like thousands and millions of years ago that we aren't realizing that we are destroying the planet. There may not be many generations left that can look back on our time. There is no way to stop the machine now. We are just along for this ride in a airplane driven by a kamikazee pilot known as Man.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I wonder how those fruits taste? Then again, would they be genetically modified after coming out of the lab???

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by goh13
Want your own dinosaur?

You will need this:
1- A team of researchers. Good ones.
2- A well preserved dinosaur fossil. Not sure how will you get it.
3- A female Chicken.

With some science and luck, you can do it. Hell, they are doing it right now. I can’t find the news link but, I found this which really give the same result.

www.ted.com...

Sure, maybe we can’t do it but we might as well try :p

Someone found 2 or 3 dinosaur mummies in America. Not sure if the soft tissue was preserved enough to get cells or just that the internal organs were also fossilized. That might help?

BTW - are we 100% sure that the black government (the one that's behind the scenes) hasn't got a dinosaur zoo or dinosaurs in vats stuck in the middle of a mountain or in an underground base? I've read some freaky stuff about black ops experiments in secret bases and I really really hope whoever reported the stuff was eating magic mushrooms from breakfast, lunch and dinner, otherwise we are wading through deep piles of horse turds.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Great post

Jurrassic park on the way
!

Well, here's something that's either a hoax or real. If real then we just gotta catch these 'Ostrich Dinosaurs' and put them in the park...

Wikipedia states:

"The Ornithomimosauria, ornithomimosaurs or ostrich dinosaurs were theropod dinosaurs which bore a superficial resemblance to modern ostriches. They were fast, omnivorous or herbivorous dinosaurs from the Cretaceous Period of Laurasia (now Asia, Europe and North America), as well as Africa."

Are they still hanging around?
edit on 28-8-2012 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
OrionHunterX
Thanks for posting this wonderful thread..I love when they can re-create stuff from eons past. It will be interesting to see what happens to the extinction process as technology progresses..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I think it's possible.

The method in Jurassic Park was to take dinosaur blood from mosquitoes preserved in amber, take that DNA and somehow implant it into another embryo somehow.

I don't understand why people would want that so much anyway. SO they can be like, 'kewel man a forken dinosaur!'. How would these things affect our ecosystem? ever thought of that? or even these ancient friggin flowers..

ANyway, there is no reason to have to resurrect dinosaurs since they *ARE* still here!

YES, they are alive and all around us!

Here is one..

Dinosaurs are now what we call "birds". Yes, it is true. They are on our dinner tables.

edit on 28-8-2012 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Dinosaurs or no dinosaurs, the flower is pretty neat. Before we start thinking about the largest predators to ever walk this earth, how about just a ... mammoth burger joint? Make the meat (as genetically modified as the rest of the "main stream stores'" food) and we can all try a rack of ribs that can tip a car over

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

A fascinating story!
But Earth was a very different place 32000 years ago, there is no telling what the consequences could be if this plant were to cross pollinate with modern species.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
we already have the technology to resurrect dinos. But I dont think a good enough sample of DNA exists to set T-Rex free.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I don't think we should worry too much about this plant emitting poison toxins, because modern humans were already around 32,000 years ago. We were already evolved to the state we are in now, and killing off all the larger animals for food. Dinosaurs died out 65,500,000 years ago. 32,000 isn't all that long in comparison.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I remember this discovery and after that they found large bones in drawers in museums all over had intact tissue. The article I read about it said this gives them the ability to clone animals.

Two years ago, Schweitzer gazed through a microscope in her laboratory at North Carolina State University and saw lifelike tissue that had no business inhabiting a fossilized dinosaur skeleton: fibrous matrix, stretchy like a wet scab on human skin; what appeared to be supple bone cells, their three-dimensional shapes intact; and translucent blood vessels that looked as if they could have come straight from an ostrich at the zoo.

discovermagazine.com...

A lot of that Schweitzer stuff has been debunked:

www.plosone.org...

For example ^^

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Nature is a wondrous beauty as the ice age flower blooms after 32000 years of being non-existent.

The story is a bit misleading, as the species still grows wild in the same area that the plant tissue was recovered from the ancient ground squirrel burrows. The species exists and has existed since those fruits and seeds were hidden by the squirrels 32,000 years ago.

Silene stenophylla is a species of flowering plant in the family Caryophyllaceae. Commonly called narrow-leafed campion, it is a species in the genus Silene. It grows in the Arctic tundra of far eastern Siberia and the mountains of Northern Japan. Frozen samples, estimated via radiocarbon dating to be around 32,000 years old, were discovered in the same area as current living specimens; and in 2012, a team claimed to have successfully regenerated a plant from the samples.

Source
edit on 28-8-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Incredible story, and flower. You know what to expect, it's a flower obviously. But there's just something mesmerizing about looking at an ancient lifeform or plant from that long ago (not in the scheme of the universe of course, but as compared to a human's lifecycle) resurrected to exist in today's world.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by soaringhawk

Nah, they still choose to believe in it being that old. It's their tiny miracle.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Lets eat it
or smoke it
and see what happens

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ColonelSF

Technically speaking though...if we were to discover a species such as a plesiosaur or pterodactyl in small numbers we could. I believe there are many prehistoric species that still roam the earth. So never say never....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Awesome vid! Where did you find this?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join