It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Blacks in Africa care about Obama so much?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I already know the answer why. But I was talking to a friend who (now lives illegally in the U.S.) from Cameroon and I was asking him about why whenever I saw videos from the news from Africa, especially in 2008 all the Africans were wearing "Obama" or "Change" or "Yes We Can" shirts all over, young and old alike.

He told me the same answer that I was thinking. Just like African Americans here in America think that they'll get some "Bama Bucks" for voting for him, the vast majority in Africa think they will somehow be affected postively by Obama getting elected into office even though he doesn't hold ANY position in their respective African countries. My friend Timothy who came from what you might call the "upper classes" of Cameroon thought it was absolutely hysterical that people who lived on another continent were going nuts over a presidential candidate in America, just because he was part black like them.

Now I'm waiting for you guys to call me rascist for saying that blacks only voted for Obama because he was black and I'll tell you as a Catholic that I would have only voted for JFK as president because he would have been the first and only Catholic President.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

I suspect that some of people voted for him because he was something different. But I am sure that most people in the USA would base their decision primarily around his politics, rather than his appearance... right?

As for Africans revelling in Obama's success, well I guess they are aware of the US President being very powerful person and they were just happy to see a black person having so much power where they don't usually hold it.

Is he called African American? I was wondering about that, because is he not half white too?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Blacks (everywhere) care about Obama, because hes black.. period

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Just like African Americans here in America think that they'll get some "Bama Bucks" for voting for him

Yeahhhhh,,,,,,ok
Just like all white people think Romney is a Reptilian

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Black people in Africa may care about Obama because his dad is Kenyan. A lot of continental Africans do not like American blacks.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Because the president is still regarded as the leader of the free world in many countries... I would imagine that Africa cared about this because they assumed a black president might mean more much needed foreign aid coming to their country ...

That's my take..
edit on 8/23/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Just like African Americans here in America think that they'll get some "Bama Bucks" for voting for him

Yeahhhhh,,,,,,ok
Just like all white people think Romney is a Reptilian

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

HEY thats the same thing I was thinking, common sense i guess.

link   
JFK was the only Irish Catholic President - no "would have been" about it!

And to counter your OP postulate... why are the folks from Jersey Shore so popular in South America? Why is Elvis popular in Japan?

These facts mean nothing in and of themselves. Just as the OP doesn't mean anything in and of itself. Couching things in a ~wink wink, nudge nudge~, where implications are silently made... that's all just rhetoric and speculation.

~Heff

link   
I forgot what white trash call it, but I liked Bill Maher's small documentary on people taking in unemployement and I thought how it was funny how in red states the white people in line will bitch about Obama giving out hard earned tax payer's money to federal aid programs which they were waiting in line for which is a complete oxymoron, but I thought it was even funnier in the blue states when they were interviewing inner city people waiting in line and some guy was smoking a blunt saying how he was waiting to get some of his "Bama bucks" so he could go across the street and buy a 40 LOL

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Um, that is one black person. Do you really think all black people are that stupid?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
I already know the answer why. But I was talking to a friend who (now lives illegally in the U.S.) from Cameroon and I was asking him about why whenever I saw videos from the news from Africa, especially in 2008 all the Africans were wearing "Obama" or "Change" or "Yes We Can" shirts all over, young and old alike.

He told me the same answer that I was thinking. Just like African Americans here in America think that they'll get some "Bama Bucks" for voting for him, the vast majority in Africa think they will somehow be affected postively by Obama getting elected into office even though he doesn't hold ANY position in their respective African countries. My friend Timothy who came from what you might call the "upper classes" of Cameroon thought it was absolutely hysterical that people who lived on another continent were going nuts over a presidential candidate in America, just because he was part black like them.

Now I'm waiting for you guys to call me rascist for saying that blacks only voted for Obama because he was black and I'll tell you as a Catholic that I would have only voted for JFK as president because he would have been the first and only Catholic President.

Did you miss what was happening in Europe during the campaign when Obama traveled through Europe? He was like a rock star. It was not just Africa it was most of the planet. After 8 years of Bush who is widely hated just about everywhere of course people were excited about Obama. This Bama Bucks thing is nonsense.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Um, that is one black person. Do you really think all black people are that stupid?

Of course not but that is the "hype" or was the hype and it seems to be continuing.
Blacks are voting for this idiot because hes black and you know it.. Dont get me wrong, Romney's a ****** loser to but Obama is a bigger one...
edit on 23-8-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Blacks vote democrat. This is why Herman Cain had no black following, even though he was black. And no, Romney is worse.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I think both candidates should be left on an iceburg and floated out to sea. "I'm not you friend pal! I'm not your pal friend! I'm not your buddy pal!"

Yeah I think the Africans that could have avoided the mass hype and actually thought for themselves could have believed that a part African American President would send more foreign aid there way but I doubt that passed through 90% of their minds. Afer all the local warlords swoop in and pick up the local aid we spend billions parachuting in there.

I mean for [snip] sake in Mali the kids have extorted CNN to give them soccer balls by tying birds to strings and torturing them to death because they don't have anything fun to do there.

Imagine what would happen if you took away every American's Xbox 360

edit on 23-8-2012 by Swing80s because: grammar

edit on 24/8/12 by masqua because: Censor circumvention

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Blacks vote democrat. This is why Herman Cain had no black following, even though he was black. And no, Romney is worse.

Well, I disagree about Romney being worse.. and thats hard to do because I cannot stand him.
I do know blacks and mexicans vote dem and I do know that black republicans are shunned by the black community..
Its all stupid politics, they should all be killed so we can start over...
Probably be in jail tomorrow for that.

eta, shoulda used my vpn for that post

edit on 23-8-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I take a lot of cabs, and the vast majority of cabbies here are from Africa. I'm always enjoy chatting with them and the banal pleasantries we exchange in the beginning invariably lead to discussing their home countries.

From what I've gathered in Africa the US is seen as this amazing land of opportunity, streets paved with gold, everyone with the slightest desire to work can have a great life. All of them have intimated that upon arrival these dreams are dashed, and even blame themselves for propagating the lie when they return home to visit, hoping to assuage family and friends fears that they are not successful, being a bit prideful and also trying to give their dear ones hope.

I think that most likely Obama embodies this hope (I know it's trite and also a rather amusing slogan at this point) that an African can become someone, that the color of their skin and origins won't necessarily condemn them to a life of abject poverty and misery, that they or their children in the future might find something different.

I don't believe it's just an expected handout that drives these people to admire and love Obama. For them he gives real hope, he is essentially one of them, removed by only a single generation, and now the most powerful man in the world. I find this to be a good thing, my feelings of Obama aside. Hope is in my opinion one of the most powerful of human emotions, something that can change a nation, maybe even a continent. Let them have that.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Blacks (everywhere) care about Obama, because hes black.. period

He's not black he's bi racial. So America is still waiting on it's first black president.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
You know what's funny is both Obama and Romney's grandparents were polygymists. That's off topic but I find it funny. That and the fact that Romney's grandpa left America so he could HAVE A POLYGAMIST cult in Mexico. I hate them both so much. O crap I think I just got put on another list. Just like the rest of you.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I must have missed a memo somewhere because I could give a rat's ass about Obama and yet this morning's shower confirmed my blackness was still very much in tact. When I see posts on here about Obama and black people...or black people and Romney.....or anything of that nature I get a little twitch in my eye. Mainly because I know that somewhere....some poor soul is gonna post something that supposedly sums up the african american mindset and its gonna be a big steaming pile of horsesh*t. Its funny because there are many anti Obama blacks and no...they arent conservatives either. Did it ever occur that some of us may actually think for ourselves and don't trust any of these pre-selected handpuppets? I know that gets in the way of that imagery of me and my 10 kids in the welfare line but some people need to seriously have a damn seat when it comes to speaking on these matters, lol. Obviously they know little of whats really going on other than some crap they read on a blog or got some statistic for as it scrolled across the bottom of a screen. "Dem dere blacks think Obama is the new Messiah.." Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Like One black president is supposed to make me forget that strange fruit that once hung from southern and northern trees alike....or our once sub human status. Its kind of insulting that one would think such a thing would make things all squaresies. That all of us are so easily fooled. If anything...Obama's presence made me narrow my eyes even further as I take in this supposed post racial America because I knew this sudden injection of color was not without reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join