It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago... What's happening to my city???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofonehunlo
Chicago is turning into "dark town" like Detroit.

Just leave.

dude....that is just racists...

I'm white....I think that was crossing the line. You should know better than that.

Your only spreading ignorance...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by davethebear

I just find it kind of messed up that this is happening on home soil and the US Govt. doesnt seem to give two sh*ts about it.... I guess they expect it in inner cities, but when there's a single shooting in an upper-class affluent area the whole country is in uproar... Ill never understand why this isnt treated like a bigger issue...

Yes I can certainly understand where you are coming from with the statement. No different to over here in some ways...as soon as there is a bit of bother and aggro in a more affluent and middle class areas they tend to give a damn, but as for any other lower class areas not a damn is given, they just hide behind the Times newspaper...........

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Its a microcosm of the United States, and the same sort of Politics, that are running this country into the ground.
Chicago has no answers for its problems, just tiny fingers, in a Dam. The Violence, historically has been bad, and as long as the Citizens of Illinois are not allowed to enact their second amendment rights, I believe it will stay that way. MHO

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I was lucky enough that my parents got me out young

I was stupid enough to knock up my ex who lives in the south Chicago suburbs

My son is living just a few miles from the wrong side of town

Before long the entire town will be the wrong side

He is only 3 and by the time he starts 1st grade I want to be there. I'm taking classes at community college for the first time in my life because I will not let him go to Chicago Public Schools while I'm living 100 miles away. I got 3 years to make something of myself and I've never been more motivated.

I love Chicago, you can't describe what it is about the city unless you live there. But it has a history of corruption and the criminals in office are just as ruthless as thoseon the streets.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1
I was lucky enough that my parents got me out young

I was stupid enough to knock up my ex who lives in the south Chicago suburbs

My son is living just a few miles from the wrong side of town

Before long the entire town will be the wrong side

He is only 3 and by the time he starts 1st grade I want to be there. I'm taking classes at community college for the first time in my life because I will not let him go to Chicago Public Schools while I'm living 100 miles away. I got 3 years to make something of myself and I've never been more motivated.

I love Chicago, you can't describe what it is about the city unless you live there. But it has a history of corruption and the criminals in office are just as ruthless as thoseon the streets.

Good for you man, and I hope you pull it off too... Nothing stronger than children driven motivation..

People who never lived in Chicago will never understand the good times the city has to offer. Chicago summers are some of the best, thats why we deal with the BS winters around here.... I just wish they could clean up the city so "US" citizens of this city can feel a little safe...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It's mostly gang related shootings for the reason that the traditional gangs are fighting over the turf remaining since MS13 came to town. Instead of fighting them they fight each other for what's left of the drugs and prostitution business.
Latest census shows 21% of Chicago's citizens are foreign born and somewhere around a million latinos have moved to Chicago.since the year 2000.
This is what I believe to be the biggest factor after the tight gun control laws they have which do nothing more than disarm law-abiding citizens. New York has laws just as bad so surely there is another factor at play here which IMO is Latin American gangs moving in to the area in large numbers.
I don't mean to implicate Latinos as a whole for the increase in crime, only the gangs.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
My opinion is that it's the combination between Daughter2's reply as well as Asktheanimals.

Rampant corruption from the top to the bottom.

Gangs fighting over drugs and cash that are brought in by the Mexican Sinaloa Cartel to their drug distribution warehouse that's located in Chicago and used to pay off everyone including thugs, politicians, law enforcement, as well as the state itself to help pay for all of those bankrupt municipal pension funds, which means the unions are probably involved too. It's not called the "Chicago Machine" for nothing. It all works together.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'd just like to point out that Chicago ranks 17 in murder rate per capita. It's bad but there are many worse. New Orleans has 3 times the murders.

Not sure but there seem to be at least a few cities in "shall issue" states which have higher murder rates.

Crime rate by city

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
I'd just like to point out that Chicago ranks 17 in murder rate per capita. It's bad but there are many worse. New Orleans has 3 times the murders.

Not sure but there seem to be at least a few cities in "shall issue" states which have higher murder rates.

Crime rate by city

Yea... Chicago is this bad and they are only ranked 17th in murder rate per capita, and Chicago has a BIG problem... So its apparent that this is a national issue, its also not one specific geographic area, but you can find issues on the East/West coasts and everything inbetween... A lot of people ignore the data out there today, and to a certain degree I understand, because its extremely depressing. But people cant keep ignoring this BIG problem much longer, the violence we are seeing in this country needs to stop....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join