It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for a change. Off Grid or Bust.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Hello Fellow ATS'ers. Ever want to just pack it in and go as off grid as you could? No mortage, no electric bill, no tax, no car insurance, no cable tv bill. Just be as self sufficent as possible. Well my wife & I have been working toward this goal for quite a few years.And the time is now.

We have educated ourselves as much as one could. We have prepared our mountain property for this off grid life. We generate our own power, at our cabin. Water turbine & wind generator supplies all we need. Water is free. We have spent several years "prepping" ( I hate that word). But we have made the decision to do it now.

We have spent some long days in those mountains on our property, clearing, building, learning. We both feel the time is right. It's not that we think bad times are ahead, we just think "It aint getting any damn better either". House is up for sale. As soon as it's sold we are gone. No internet, no tv, radio, and shortwave radio, and possibly a newspaper from the local town.

My wife & I both feel as if we are living in the wrong time period the wrong era. We embrace the life we are getting ready to live, as if we are going home. Our kids are grown & gone, recent events of this summer in our neighborhood & lives helped our decision along. These times we find ourselves in are crappy at best, we see no good out come in so many different areas it's laughable.

I will stay a member of ATS till the house sells, I have enjoyed my time as a member and will sign off when the time comes. I'm 49 my wifes 52 we have a lot of years of life left, we just want to live it as we want. It may sound boring, but sitting on that back porch and watching the sun set over those mountains, That's as good as it gets for me & mine. Watching it rise aint to bad either. So folks,hope you all have a great day, week, year, life. It;s time for me & my wife to finally live ours.On our terms & conditions.
edit on 16-8-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Good Luck!

But you'll be back.

A satellite dish can provide the internet no matter where you live.

At some point, you and the Mrs. are going to want to know what is going on with the rest of the world. That's human nature. Neighbor gossip, even if they are miles away will still be sought after.

I am trying to do the same though, but will have a satellite dish, if anything, just to stay in touch with friends.

Maybe I shouldn't say trying, rather doing instead. But it is taking time, just like you.
edit on 16-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It'll be very tough for you but wish you all the best, if by chance you do come back for whatever reason please make a post as to what it was like off the grid.

Godspeed my dear sir

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well good luck to you.

I hope you don't die up there alone.

I'm not trying to be a troll or making a joke. That's something that happens to people living off the grid and in the mountains.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
No property taxes? Cool

Up here, even in the mountains, they'll ding us for property tax. Minimal though, with no services...
Can't hide completely if the smoke from the cooking/heating fire can be spotted, someone has to make sure it isn't a forest fire starting.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Guys we aint going into the woods and live like animals. When I say off grid I mean as off grid as we can get. We arent gonna live like hermits either. And property tax is gonna be paid, remember death & taxes merged.

Just no electric bill, we are gonna lower our cost of being on the planet . I want to enjoy this earth while I still can. And by enjoy I mean ENJOY. It's not like some are thinking, we arent new to this life style. We built our cabin from the lumber of said land. We will be just fine, and what if TSHTF, We'll just be one step ahead or the first to die off. Either way is fine with me.

We just want to not take from the planet any more than we have too. It's the way it should be.

new topics

top topics

join