It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Europe And The U.S. Seek Incentives for Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
In an effort aimed at defusing the Iranian nuclear threat, the United States and the European countries are holding talks. The aim of these talks is to try to come up with an economic package to try to get Iran to terminate its uranium enrichment program. Included in this would be offers to allow access to imported nuclear reactor fuel.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Bush administration is holding talks with European allies on a possible package of economic incentives for Iran as part of efforts to persuade Tehran to suspend uranium enrichment, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Citing unnamed U.S. and European diplomats, the Times reported that offers to Iran could include access to imported nuclear fuel.

Last year, Britain, France and Germany reached an agreement with Tehran under which the Islamic republic promised to suspend nuclear fuel enrichment, a process that can be used to make fuel for power reactors or for bombs.

While it has yet to enrich any uranium, Iran never entirely froze the program and recently resumed key parts of it.

Diplomats told the Times that while the Bush administration had not endorsed any incentives for Iran, it was not discouraging the three European powers from assembling a package that the administration would consider after the U.S. presidential election on Nov. 2, for likely presentation to Tehran later in the month.

European diplomats said that the administration was uneasy about discussing incentives, in part because it would represent a policy reversal that would provoke a vigorous internal debate, the newspaper reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to sources close to the discussion, the Bush administration has not endorsed the plan, it has not opposed it either. They also indicated that any decision would be delayed until after the November 2nt, presidential election. However, the Democratic front runner John Kerry has indicated that he would support such a plan.

[edit on 10/12/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
How do you feel about this Fred? Do you think the Republicans are avoiding it because they would veto it regardless after election, but want it to exist to pull in possible voters?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It would seem the Bush administration want to be seen to be discussing this with the rest of Europe, but neither denying or confirming anything. This is exactly the same kind of sit and wait tactics they have used in many areas that are politically sensitive and that could draw in new voters or supporters. Yet if Bush wins the election, he can make clear an official opinion without going back on anything previously said or reported as there has been no official comment.

I view the rhetoric the Bush administration and the Israelis are using regarding Iran with suspision as it mirrors the same rhetoric that was being used to discuss Iraq and Afghanistan before these two nations were occupied and destroyed by foreign involvement.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is a foolish proposal, have you not forgotten what the Clinton administration did in regerence to North Korea. Iran wants nuculear weapons and no diplomatic solutions will deter them from there quest.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Iran knew the goverments of the world would give them money for thier people. The best way to get money is to threated to get nuke power, beacuse it so cheap. The world is so scared of it being used for weapons, they will give money.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
How do you feel about this Fred? Do you think the Republicans are avoiding it because they would veto it regardless after election, but want it to exist to pull in possible voters?

I do have my opinions regarding alot of what I post. However, my reporter status I take very seriously and try to not show bias in my reports one way or the other.

In regards to your question, I don't think so. There is no percentage in this ploy. Bush already faces critisism from withing the party as I reported here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Even the hardcore party loyalists would balk at this. Perhaps its Bush's attempt to mend fences with France and Germany by not messing around with it. The presence of the US in these discussions may hinder rather than help with the Iranian government.

Also, absent any real time threats, the American public is going to be much more wary if the war drums begin to beat loudly on this issue. The neocons may have woken up an realized that going into Iran will be nothing like Afganistan or Iraq.

However, if this is just an attempt to stall for time so that it can be trashed after the election, then most Americans, myself included, will be pretty pissed. Sorry about the ramble, but Im finishing up a 24 hour shift.

new topics

top topics

join