It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are my monitors blown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hi guys, hopefully there are some people with good audio knowledge floating about.

Recently I invested in a pair of KRK RP6's. Everything was going great with them, they were a huge step up from my old fostex monitors.

However the other day I was working on some stuff where my sub bass peaked pretty high in logic. I got a kind of distorted sound and a kind of plastic/rubbery smell out of the bottom vents.

Now I'm not sure if I am being paranoid over worrying about the speakers but to me the left monitor sounds pretty crap compared to the right one now.

Also, there is a pop/click kind of sound when I turn the left one off, and when I turn it on the cone moves in and out slightly.

This doesn't happen with the right speaker, so I'm moving towards there being a problem with the left one.

So my question is, based on what I have explained has one, or possibly both speakers been damaged?

I'm using XLR to TRS connectors, my dB setting on each speaker is 0dB and HF setting is -1dB.

I have only had them about a month, so they are still under warrenty.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by splittheatom

Distorted sound and "rubber smell" does not sound like a good thing to me. I think you pretty much fried your speakers to be honest. ;
Never ever turn the volume to the point of distortion, as that will lead to damage.

Also have you tried hooking up the left speaker to right channel instead?? It might also be that you fried one of the amplifier channels.
edit on 12-8-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
sounds like you've blown it to me...i'd take them back... i've got fostex actives at the mo and one of them got blown a few days ago, totally gutted! hope you get yours sorted

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Are you using a sound card? Is the latest driver installed? Maybe check the jack connections. Maybe it's something to do with the bit rate and sampler buffer settings. I dont use logic but check the manual for the optimum settings. That's all I can think of, some others on here may be able to give a better answer, quite a few producers on ATS
Or maybe they are just blown.
edit on 12-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm using a lexicon alpha soundcard. No problems with it before this, so I doubt its a driver issue.

I've changed the input leads around, also changed the power cords too and I still have the same problem.

I'm siding with the fact that they have blown, not sure why because they weren't set at full volume, the bass peaked on logic, but the speakers were set to 0dB, their highest setting being 6dB.

I will try and return them as I have a 3 year warranty, however I am already trying to return a microphone reflexion filter with the same distributor as it snapped apart in my hands last week.

The distributor's customer service isn't the greatest so I may have to wait a while for them to actually do anything for me :/.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
you blew the diaphrams out by exceding the "peak" levels...it only takes one time..the smell was the overheated wiring/circuitry

new topics

top topics

join