It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News you wont see on CBS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Baghdad Playground Restored to Keep Kids Safe.

By Spc. Jan Critchfield, 122nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment

BAGHDAD, Iraq � Work to restore a dilapidated Tashree neighborhood playground was finished Sept. 28 as a part of Multi-National Force efforts to improve the quality of life for local residents.

The project took two weeks to complete, cost $30,000 and employed ten local laborers.

Link with photos
www.centcom.mil...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
CBS will wait until a kid is blown up on it first.

They will definitely show that....after all, THAT'S NEWS!

and the people have a right to know about every single horrible thing that happens in this world.

and nothing else.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What a shame that this isn't headline news.

Thanks for posting this story.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Next we'll hear that insurgence are hanging out on the monkey bars so that they can use the kids as cover.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
Next we'll hear that insurgence are hanging out on the monkey bars so that they can use the kids as cover.

There are neither kids, nor "insurgence" in any of the "monkey bars" I go to, we are decent, respectable (somewhat furry, but in a cute way), primates that abhor the thought of contributing to the delinquency of a minor or an insurgent (they have their own bars you know).

High Horse Monkeys, not just for old Clint Eastwood movies anymore...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's in the "International Zone".
That area is right in front of them so they couldn't ignore it the way they ignore the rest of the country.

Here's an earlier article on Tashree:

vcorps
One of the unique qualities of the assistance that C Company has provided to Al Tashree is that everything has been cost-free to the U.S. and Iraqi governments. Everything in the community center was privately funded and sponsored by the Red Crescent, with services donated by Graves and his soldiers or as a result of Graves� bargaining with residents.

�I spoke to a local man who wanted to be able to salvage all the scrap metal from buildings in the area that were destroyed during the conflict,� Graves said. �I told him that I wanted a playground for the community center, and I just got lucky. He had an entire playground that he and some workers disassembled, brought over here and welded together in the yard.�

The project mentioned in the article above was funded by the Red Crescent, and some work was done for free by local Iraqis. I wonder if all the funding for this new playground came from the US or if Iraqis were involved in that one also.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Can pin that just on CBS. That would be every major network.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's not news worthy. Thats why it's not a headline.

As a Journalist I wouldn't touch this story with a ten foot pole if you wanted me to put it on the evening news. So they built a playground... woo, it would be of trivial value to float it in a cycle where people are dying every day in that area.

After this was taken I'll bet its abandoned by kids.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
CBS will wait until a kid is blown up on it first.

They will definitely show that....after all, THAT'S NEWS!

It seems as though the liberal media are a bunch of gore-seeking thugs who take pleasure in presenting news that depicts horror and blood-letting.

To them, good news is conservative propaganda. I believe the liberals really want chaos and war. They wouldn't have anything to report if there wasn't any. They sure do have a firm stance against anything decent.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
and this guy is an "editor".

The rule is....."Kid loses limb...newsworthy"

"Iraqi children benefitting....not newsworthy"

of course when your agenda is to depict a situation in the worst possible light, uplifting stories will never make the air.

thanks for confirming your own bias along with the "media as a whole".

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
and this guy is an "editor".

The rule is....."Kid loses limb...newsworthy"

"Iraqi children benefitting....not newsworthy"

of course when your agenda is to depict a situation in the worst possible light, uplifting stories will never make the air.

thanks for confirming your own bias along with the "media as a whole".

Oh grow up, Journalism is a PROFESSIONAL business. You don't run stories like this as a headline, its a pure human interest story that would merit an e-article or a 60 second end filler at most.

It's simply not professional to push stories like this in a time of great change and great violence. If this was to run then it would be criticised as trivialising the situation.

It's not the business of a news corp to produce news that appeals to you. If you want fluff then watch a daytime soap.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Your idea of what is PROFESSIONAL and mine differ vastly.

Please explain why viewership of the major news networks continues to decline, despite such "PROFESSIONAL" standards?

Your condescending attitude is without merit.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
okay this is good news for kids in that one particular neighborhood and is worthy of mention in forums like this, blogs, etc, but on the mainstream news???? I don't think so.

One mosque built, one playground ground restored, 10,000-15,000 Iraqi's killed, which is more important????

oh but I forgot, We don't account for civilian deaths, so why should that make it on the news.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Yes, it is strange that Spc. Jan Critchfield of the 122nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment, isn't more of a force in journalism. Maybe he (or she) has the appearence that he (or she) may have a bit of a bias.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I believe the liberals really want chaos and war. They wouldn't have anything to report if there wasn't any.

Right on Intel! Your absolutely right.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hey, I had ten local laborers and a multi national team uprooting an oak tree from my backyard last week.

Is that major news?

Breaking news coming in! The local feed store has no more room on aisle four, moving barley to aisle five. News at Eleven.

Furthermore, when news, any news, comes from the army fighting the war, then it's propaganda, even when it does concern puppy dogs and flowers and bubblegum. My first thought when reading this was, "Hmmm, that's nice an all. Until it gets blown up".

Because, stuff gets blown up in Iraq.

In conclusion, this is very much like the Leslie Neilson, standing in front of the burning, exploding fireworks store saying, "Move along folks, nothing to see here. Nothing to see here at all".

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Great. Ushering in a new era of Iraqi midnight basketball and playground drug deals. We will Americanize this country yet!

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
hahahahahaha!!!!! It is liberal media! Wait, not on Fox News, so not liberal media. You guys are insane if you think a playground bound to be blown up is newsworthy. It isn't that liberals are gore and blood news only, for Fox News is mainly that, except for Bill, he does stuff in America, like child rapists, murderers, poverty.....

You people are truly brainwashed, aren't you? Of course this didn't make the news, as someone said, a full aisle in the grocery store doesn't make it on the news. It ISN'T NEWS! it is nice, but not news. You people, so sad, did they use scrubbing bubbles or Downy to wash your brains?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
[quote
As a Journalist I wouldn't touch this story with a ten foot pole if you wanted me to put it on the evening news. So they built a playground... woo, it would be of trivial value to float it in a cycle where people are dying every day in that area.

That is why we watch Fox. Were the news actually shows both sides. Not just your liberal point of view. Some day people will wake up, and see the truth behind this bias press

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The think that is upsetting me is that "Good News" is coming out of Iraq and people are not willing to accept it. Unfortunately if no one dies, it is not news. There are "Good" things happening in Iraq, its just the Majority of Iraq is not safe. Even if it starts with a Playground, it is a start.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join