It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playing with fire: EGS wants to drill a multitude of holes across America by a process called ‘hyd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This seems like a very scary scenario to me, but what do I know. Evidently , some scientists are thinking of injecting water, well more like pumping water, into the sides of a dormant volcano in Oregon to cause earthquakes.

Why? They are going to experiment and explore underneath in a quest for geothermal energy.

Here's more on the subject:

According to a report MIT submitted to the Department of Energy, two percent of the heat some six miles below the ground could provide 2,500 times as much energy as the country currently uses. By employing a technique called Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS), several million gallons of water are blasted at high pressures through artificial wells over 10,000 feet deep. When the water reaches the hot rocks, it returns to the surface through a second well as scalding hot water, where its heat can then be harvested for power.

Backed by the DOE, Google and others, AltaRock Energy and Davenport Newberry Holdings have been exploring ways to tap geothermal energy from the Pacific Northwest volcano, and will put their knowledge to the test this summer at Oregon’s Newberry Volcano. “We know the heat is there,” Susan Petty, president of AltaRock, told the Huffington Post. “The big issue is can we circulate enough water through the system to make it economic.” Over the last century, engineers have been tapping the heat in the earth’s crust for power by gathering hot water or steam bubbling near the surface to spin turbines that create electricity. Places with hot rocks lacking cracks or water to deliver the stream is the new frontier. That’s where EGS comes into play. By drilling deep into the rocks where water is then pumped in, steam can be drawn out, a process known as hydroshearing. Though it sounds similar to hydrofracking, scientists claim that the technique used in this scenario is entirely different, which will not pollute groundwater with toxic chemicals. But what about triggering earthquakes? The effects of pumping the water deep into the ground will be measured using sensors that will provide microseismicity data to scientists to ensure that the water is getting the right exposure and not triggering seismic activity.

heextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/playing-with-fire-egs-wants-to-drill-a-multitude

They also claim that they will not be injecting chemicals into the ground and pollute the underground as they do in fracking.

This sounds great and yet, at the same time, I'm leery of them messing with Mother Nature.

Only time will tell......

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

This is fantastic news.

I actually read about this idea in some channelled material I read last year. Crazy stuff.

Yes, technically this idea is a great way of generating power without harming mother nature too much.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Not scary at all.

It's fun how many people will complain about Big Oil, and run around flapping their hands in panic over the thought of Nuclear Energy, but, when other viable solutions are presented they get knocked about with just as much criticism as if there's a biased mindset that no solution other than magic is an alternative.

Magic electricity would be nice, of course, but, I'm pretty certain it isn't happening any time soon.

edit on 7-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I agree with you. It seems like a good thing, but I am not sure what effects this will have on things like earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. I suppose they are more educated than I am and know what they are doing. At least I hope so anyway. Good article!

If it can benefit us (and I mean truly benefit us) without causing mass destruction this will be an awesome thing.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
no, that is scary.......maybe 700 feet deep.....or it's deliberate evil bazzstards at work

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
If they think that they fully understand how the inner earth works to the point where they know 100% what the effects of what they're doing is going to have, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But I really don't think that's the case.

People don't have a good track record of putting their understanding of earth as a priority over making money.

I really do hope I'm proven wrong in this case though.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Not scary at all.

It's fun how many people will complain about Big Oil, and run around flapping their hands in panic over the thought of Nuclear Energy, but, when other viable solutions are presented they get knocked about with just as much criticism as if there's a biased mindset that no solution other than magic is an alternative.

Magic electricity would be nice, of course, but, I'm pretty certain it isn't happening any time soon.

edit on 7-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

What I was referring to was pumping water into the volcano itself was a scary thought, not the actual idea of new energy. I hope it works out the way the scientists believe it can.

I personally wish we did have alternate energy without having to use nuclear energy. I know it's possible....
But whether TPTB will allow it is a different story.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
If they think that they fully understand how the inner earth works to the point where they know 100% what the effects of what they're doing is going to have, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But I really don't think that's the case.

People don't have a good track record of putting their understanding of earth as a priority over making money.

I really do hope I'm proven wrong in this case though.

That's why I'm a little leery of them messing with Mother Nature.

The idea is great if there is no repercussions down the road. I guess we'll have to wait & see....
Hope for the best.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Geothermal energy has been produced for many years by this method. In many places.
It is a closed system for the most part, with the injected water being recycled.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
The O.P link is messed up, the correct link is Here

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

It is a great idea and it works extremely well in Iceland but then they do kind of have an advantage when it comes to geothermal!

Geothermal power in Iceland

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

It is a great idea and it works extremely well in Iceland but then they do kind of have an advantage when it comes to geothermal!

Geothermal power in Iceland

Thanks for the info ~~~~ impressive.

Our country sure could learn a lot from you guys. Way to go Iceland !!!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Geothermal energy has been produced for many years by this method. In many places.
It is a closed system for the most part, with the injected water being recycled.

Thanks for the image....

As Flavian stated, it works for Iceland, so maybe our country can use it too. Would be nice to get away from Nuclear Energy and find an alternate form of energy.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
as long as its done in remote areas like way out in rural nevada the earthquakes will be no problems.
Just don't do it close to a major city.

top topics

join