It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Towns forced to evacuate due to wildfires

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

That is good news, even if it is only in one county, it is still something. Firefighters are heroes, no question. I know some of the area Churches are getting together water and electrolyte drinks to take to the firefighters, and many residents have opened their homes to those who have lost homes, and their garages to store the possessions people were able to save. The Midwest has a long standing tradition of neighbor helping neighbor, we saw it with Joplin too. Nice to see.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I lived in Oklahoma for 16 yrs, moved to PA after my divorce was final. I used to live in Choctaw, DelCity, MWC and Shawnee. We were lucky where we lived, most things (tornadoes and wildfires) happened around us and not to us.
Good luck and stay safe...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My parents live 2 hours up the road at the corner of Missouri and Oklahoma. They have been talking all summer about the drought and heat. Not a drop of rain since March. Their Facebook page has been lit up for the whole month of July with people making jokes or asking for prayers for rain.

Drought Map

Arkansas is even worse off than Oklahoma!!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Wow, just called my parents to alert them to this fire, and they are driving past a wildfire near Pierce City, MO on I-44 at this very moment. They said there were firetrucks and sheriff's vehicles surrounding the fire, it appears to have just started.

ETA:
Mom shared one of her favorite jokes while I had her on the phone....

It's so hot in Missouri, the trees have learned how to whistle for dogs.

edit on 5-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
this is the messed up part

Authorities suspect the fire near Luther may have been intentionally set, while the cause of the others was undetermined. The Oklahoma County sheriff's department said it was looking for someone in a black pickup truck who was seen throwing newspapers out a window after setting them ablaze.

link

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

It seems like this year Oklahoma is getting what Texas had last summer. I hope it will be better soon and that next summer will be kinder.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Just as an update.....Creek county ans surrounding areas are still fighting wildfires...last count is 10 burning across. The state......reported over 78,000 acres burned...over 250 homes destroyed...at least one dead.....news reporting that creek county fire started by someone burning trash...others started by arson....alot of crops destroyed and alot of ranchers going to be out of hay very fast..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Last year when Texas had such a bad drought, ranchers had to sell most of their cattle because they couldn't afford to feed them. When even that didn't work, they had a hard time feeding even one cow, let alone several, plus horses. Farmers from all over the country offered up hay if they would come and get it from them, free of charge. I hope that happens again this year, but with as bad as the Mid-West has been, I'm afraid there won't be much to offer up.

Hopefully the fires will be extinguished soon, and the rest of the summer will be better to Oklahoma.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join