It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mysteryskeptic

I view it differently... I didn't lose any interest at all... in fact I gained interest because it was a small part of the complete picture that is her! (I guess it depends on an individuals own world views how they choose to take these things. I choose to view things positively while being aware of the possible negative connotations).

I would honestly like to know more. For me it would be great if there was a more thorough breakdown of all athletes genealogies (some of which are on various Olympic sites), as it is highly interesting where these athletes have come from nationally, ethnically, racially and personally.

Of course, I am interested in people's personal histories and genealogy, and how that relates to my own.

;-j

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

lol.. agreed... though it does seem to have settled down a bit now... and I am proud of my last post at the bottom of the previous page (lol... hate it when that happens).

Cheers
;-j

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I would like to say thanks to all the posters in this thread, and though my own personal emotions and views sometimes cloud my logic I am always trying to strive to keep an open mind. Also I am humbled at the class, and eloquence of some of you, bravo, you have indeed restored some of my faith in the future of humanity that we may be able to co-exist beyond prejudices, beyond racial bias, and beyond any attempts at propagandists attempts to divide all of us. Cheers!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by AutOmatIc

But she IS African American.

Have you asked her how she feels about it before speaking on her behalf?

What if she is proud to say "Im the first African American woman to do this"...

If thats the case, your tottally raining on her parade.

(Just an alternative view point, In my opinion, your drawing more attention to the fact, than the commentators did)

And if Phelps had said "I'm the first white American to ......" he'd be called a racist.

Skin colour and ancestral heritage shouldn't be used to create division within a Country.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

Well Phelps can't be JUST a "White American"...You'll have to find out he's Ancestry!...So whatever that may Be then he'll be a "......-American"...

edit on 5-8-2012 by MrMysteryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

I agree with you on this one.
Honestly they are painting this in a very positive light.

It's not like they are accusing her of anything they are celebrating the fact that the first african american person has won the gold in this bracket. I see no negativity or shame in that in any way.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
perhaps they should ban the word race at the olympics.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I can kind of understand the OP's point, it would be like if Usain Bolt's world record was smashed by a caucasian british man, , would it be politicaly correct to state "Usain Bolt's record smashed by a white english man!" now I know if a statement came out like that then a lot of black apologists and even black men themselves would probably scream "RACIST!" themselves, and before any of you even try to lump me with the race card, I will state now for the record that I am actually mixed raced, half asian and half scottish and I have coussins that are half black and half scottish, so no, I havnt got a racist bone in my body!! color is only skin deep in my book, I have a black friend who's skin looks white on most parts of his body(well pink, exactly the same skin hue as a white man) due to lack of skin pigment from a bad scolding by hot water when he was younger over most of his upper body. in his day and age white on black, black on white racism is almost dead, its the apologists and like the OP said, the MSM that keeps racism an issue, most average joe public's havnt got time or effort or ignorance for racism any more, and heey, if current racial interbreeding trends carry on, then we will probably all be one color in 200 years time anyway, a super mix of all races, but no particular one race!!
edit on 5-8-2012 by DARREN1976 because: spelling..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

"Also, it is not ignorance to point out the truth of the matter. That the MSM only points out the race/ethnic backgrounds of minority athletes and purposely neglects all others."

Well all minorities can be note worthy especially within the racially charged history of America. That is the only point and not a conspiracy of any attempt to destroy the white race! In your own way you seem to have grasped what the original OP seemed to have missed.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by puzzlesphere

So an athlete should be denied one of their attributes, that both her and her community is proud of. There have now been two African Americans chime into this thread... and both have been proud of her heritage. You seem to want to deny them that right.

An Indigenous Australian also walked into his boxing match wearing the Aboriginal Flag... should he also have been denied that right?

... however... if a Lebanese American athlete made a big deal about their Lebanese heritage, chances are that so would the media.... the fact is that sub-group of the US doesn't feel the need to... while the African Americans do still feel a need to, as has been highlighted with many history lessons throughout this thread.

Cheers
edit on 5-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

I get what you are saying, however I have several black "African American" friends who agree with me that they feel as though the media is singling their race out, by pointing out their race and not the race of any of the other athletes. It is the way the MSM keeps people focused on race, and not on unity as human beings. Because being treated equally means just that...being treated just like everyone else is being treated.

Chances are that your black friends are furious not because they are but because they are as paranoid as you, that "everyone is out to get us". That millions of journalists are trying to devide us.

The fact that you refer them as your "black friends" makes you a racist because you refer to them by race and not their nationality.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

There is a few comments at the bottom of this article that says what the OP is saying: content.usatoday.com...

For the people who cannot see it:

"Gabby is competing for her country NOT for a specific race or creed. Why do people have to say moronic things like that?? Take race out of it, she performed wonderfully and I am very proud of her as an AMERICAN!!!!!"

"We might be more "united" if the press would stop race baiting -they're the one's making a big deal out of her color when they should be making a big deal out of her ACCOMPLISHMENT -and then they accuse us of racism when they're the ones pointing out her race as if we don't have eyes. Totally ridiculous."

"She representing for black women everywhere.'' =========== Hey you stupid racist. She's representing the UNTIED STATES OF AMERICA"

Seems others share his view of keeping ethnicity out of it.
edit on 5-8-2012 by GaspardUlliel because: more quotes

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GaspardUlliel

Seems others share his view of keeping ethnicity out of it.

Okay then. When I said I searched for others who might get it into their heads that celebrating race is wrong, i didn't mean that I searched the entire internet.

But congrats on finding others who back up your viewpoint.
edit on 5-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DirectDemocracy

Why isn't Michael Phelps heralded as the first WHITE athlete to win 21 medals in the Olympics?

Because swimming has been dominated for many decades by white athletes....If it were dominated by black athletes, then Phelps would have been heralded as the "first WHITE athlete" to win an Olympic medal.....it's not rocket science, it's just common sense .......and facts.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by DirectDemocracy

Why isn't Michael Phelps heralded as the first WHITE athlete to win 21 medals in the Olympics?

Because swimming has been dominated for many decades by white athletes....If it were dominated by black athletes, then Phelps would have been heralded as the "first WHITE athlete" to win an Olympic medal.....it's not rocket science, it's just common sense .......and facts.

Besides they didn't say "First Black Person" they Said 'First "African American"...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I dunno if it's been said before, but gymnastics is a socioeconomic sport. Gotta fork out big bills for coaches, travel, etc. It's not something you can just go outside and do by yourself everyday and become an Olympian.
Let's not be ignorant to the fact that there is a large percentile of poverty among the black community in the us so this is a huge achievement if you ask me.
There was a short interview on her mom saying how hard it was to afford raising her kids alone and paying for the girls gymnastics as well.
It's about overcoming the odds so to speak.
I for one am proud of her accomplishment

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It's funny how an african can represent usa.

Hilarious

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Why do people care about the olympics anyway? Didnt the jocks kick a lot of our asses in school?

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join